Auto Headlight Issues - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Auto Headlight Issues

Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!Looking to re-gear?! CRAZY DEALS ON YUKON GEARS right hereJK specific skid plates from Clayton Off Road Mfg.

Unread 02-27-2014, 11:40 PM   #1
D-rey
1998 ZJ 

Auto Headlight Issues

My auto-headlights don't work properly. When I set it to auto, the lights come on, but my interior lights freak out, and the rear lights don't come on.

Has anyone seen this before?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-y80...ature=youtu.be

D-rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:30 AM   #2
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Swap the pod with one from a JY and see if it does the same thing. No JY handy get a used one off ebay.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 04:22 AM   #3
RWC

Or solder your existing one, or replace it with a unit from Rockauto.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 05:34 AM   #4
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/r...-heavy-702703/
When I brought this link up alot of the pictures didn't show.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 10:02 AM   #5
D-rey
1998 ZJ 

I may have to swap it. I tried re-soldering the internals per that thread a while ago, and it didn't fix anything.

So, the issue is most likely the headlamp switch itself?

Also, the thread linked above... Is that relating to dimming issues only when auto is selected, or any time the lights are on? Mine only freaks out in auto, but works perfectly fine on park lamps or normal on.
D-rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2014, 03:04 PM   #6
RWC

Ours ('98 5.9L) only freaked out on auto, and worked fine with park lamps and normal "on." In addition to the interior lights flickering, the headlights would also wig-out, making me initially think it was related to the alarm. My research quickly led me to the switch itself.

I reflowed all the pins, but apparently my soldering job sucked: I fixed some problems and created others. I tossed it and replaced it with one from Rockauto. No problems since.
RWC is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.