Attn Jeep Techs Loud cracking/ poping noise from front axle - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Attn Jeep Techs Loud cracking/ poping noise from front axle

Metalcloak's Black Friday & Small Business Saturday SaNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! NEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 11-13-2008, 10:24 AM   #1
nicecj7

Attn Jeep Techs Loud cracking/ poping noise from front axle

My 1999 Wj V8 w/ Quadra Drive has a issue where during the rain or in the snow, or when cold or under tight turns into parking lots I get this loud clunk/ cracking noise from the front axle. It kinda sounds like my axle is snapping repeatedly. Its real loud but everything drives fine. I dont experience it under normal driving conditions (unless making tight turns into a parking spot). I replaced the fluids in my diffs and transfer case w/ the appropriate fluid , my cv joints are new . It will go into low range and drive fine unless i gas it causing the noise.

Any ideas on how to fix this? Is it my transfercase ? or a vari loc crapping out?

nicecj7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 10:35 AM   #2
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Are you sure you got the QD axle shafts? There's a difference between QD and non QD shafts IIRC.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-13-2008, 04:25 PM   #3
nicecj7

yeah i did, i made sure when i ordered them that they were quadra drive axles .I had this prob before i installed the shafts and i thought it might be the cv joints but it wasnt .
http://community.webshots.com/user/svt393
Unread 11-13-2008, 04:27 PM   #4
-Joe-
1995 ZJ 

Is it only when moving?

Ex had a 99 that the power steering pump would go pop pop pop pop over and over when making turns. It eventually got a new pump.

'95 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo I6 4.0L
242TC - Extreme Engineering 2" Front Lift/1.75" Rear Lift - ES9000 Shocks + JKS BPEs
Moog Cargo Control Springs
Magnaflow Converter - Dynomax Muffler
235/75/15 AT Uniroyal Liberator Tires
-Joe- is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:18 PM   #5
nicecj7

yeah its only when moving when there is any sort of power put to the drivetrain..
http://community.webshots.com/user/svt393
Unread 11-18-2008, 10:20 PM   #6
SplitNail
1999 WJ 

i know my t-case made a bad sound when pushing it really hard. it was the chain slipping.

SplitNail is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-19-2008, 10:26 AM   #7
Basscrazy51
1993 ZJ 

The same thing happened in my friends jeep, it turned out to be what was called i think turning "boots"..
Unread 11-19-2008, 11:09 AM   #8
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

Bass is referring to the CV joints (Constant Velocity). Funny, I have th same thing happening. Been going on for nearly a year and I replaced the CV joints (axles) in 05. It was done by the dealer.

The idea that it is the PS pump is interesting... I also have excessive wear on the outside of each tire. I'm wondering if that's related or if it's just an alignment issue...
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 11:44 PM   #9
LTD 318ZJ
1998 ZJ 

More than other manufacturers; Chrysler vehicles make terrible noises from the front end when any kind of sway bar issues are apparent. Whether it'd be worn bushings, broken end links, broken bar or even loose end links (at the fastener or in the ball socket). Check all of these.

I recently serviced an 07 Town and Country with 20k miles on it. Making ridiculous popping noises and the solution was new sway bar bushings. Completely different breed but my zj makes similar noise when I break end links and when I had worn bushings.
LTD 318ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.