ATF poring out between TC and trans. Output shaft seal? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > ATF poring out between TC and trans. Output shaft seal?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!

Unread 09-22-2013, 05:16 PM   #1
Sickws6

ATF poring out between TC and trans. Output shaft seal?

I'm loosing a lot of fluid where the transfer case flange mounts to the transmission housing. Wondering what it could be and what is involved. I'll tear it down soon after I get some suggestions. Thanks!

2001 ws6 trans am
Sickws6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #2
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Must be either tranny output seal or tcase input seal, I think.
Tcase is pretty easy once you get it out, havent done the tranny but I'd imagne you'd have to do it from underneath.
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-22-2013, 05:46 PM   #3
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

It's probably the rear trans seal. TC must come out, not too bad of a job tho.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:19 AM   #4
D-rey
1998 ZJ 

I had the same problem. My trans output seal was puking fluid. Since the t-case has to come out anyway, I replaced the input seal (t-case) as well.
D-rey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 01:28 AM   #5
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Yup common failure. My ZJ was leaking from there as well. Its probably the transmission output seal. Might as well do that and the transfer case input seal since you need to remove the transfer case to get to the seal.

Drain your transfer case fluid. Then you are going to need to unbolt the front driveshaft at the transfer case I think its 4 8mm bolts and the rear driveshaft 4 8mm bolts at the rear axle. Might need to use a big screwdriver or pry bar to break the driveshafts loose at the unbolted joints they shouldnt be stuck too bad just a little persuasion. Put a jack with a piece of wood under your transmission and jack it up to where its up to the pan level to hold it in place when you remove the crossmember. Then unbolt the transmission mount to crossmember bolts its 4 bolts in the center of the cross beam under your transfercase/transmission. Then unbolt the crossmember from the frame rails 2 bolts on each side.

Unplug your two wiring connectors on the transfer case and disconnect the vent hose on the transfer case. You can now slightly lower the transmission down by lowering the jack a few inches, this helps greatly to access the top two nuts especially the top passenger side is the tightest to get at. I highly recommend a small or short length stubby 9/16" box end wrench for the top two nuts that connect the transfer case to the transmission. I found the stubby 9/16" 12 point box combo wrench at Lowes for like $8 or whatever, well worth the cost. A regular length 9/16" box end wrench works fine for the other 4 nuts (there are 6 total). You can then return the transmission to its original position or there about by jacking the jack back up a couple inches this helps keep less transmission fluid leaking from the rear of the tranny when you pull the transfer case off the back end. Be prepared for some to come out anyway so put a pan underneath to catch the fluid. Then pull/slide the transfer case back away from the transmission and it will slide off the transmission output shaft. Careful depending on what transfer case you have it could be decently heavy. Id say my 249 case was a solid 80lbs or more and my 231 was noticeably lighter just be prepared for a little weight.

You should now be able to see what looks like in the above picture and remove and replace that seal and the one on the front of the transfer case too while you are at it.
98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-23-2013, 09:36 AM   #6
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Id say the 249 is around 120 pounds. I've got one sitting in my garage I'll weigh when I get home. 242 and 231 are at least 30 pounds lighter I think
Unread 09-23-2013, 11:38 AM   #7
Sickws6

you guys are great! Great information here!
2001 ws6 trans am
Sickws6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.