Asd relay hot jeep stalls - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Asd relay hot jeep stalls

FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-22-2008, 09:50 AM   #1
greengrassgrows
1997 ZJ 

Asd relay hot jeep stalls

Hi everybody new jeep owner here (1997 Jeep Grand cherokee Laredo) just got it. i just had all spark plugs cap and rotor replaced had the fuel system checked, track bar replaced, but the jeep still stalls. i had my friend from the jeep dealer look and he found that when it dies the asd relay is extremely hot and if i put a different relay in it will start back up and run fine till that one gets hot! THE guy i bought it from had put a wire in the asd relay slot to make it think there was a relay there and that worked but he then accidentely grounded the wire, idk if this shorted something out. And he was running to hot of spark plugs. help!

greengrassgrows is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 11:43 AM   #2
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

I'd try another coil.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-22-2008, 01:50 PM   #3
greengrassgrows
1997 ZJ 

ok i will thank you
Unread 08-23-2008, 01:08 AM   #4
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

[Rant]
Removing relays and fuses to work around problems that are killing relays and fuses is a recipe for disaster if you ask me. I am all for reliable work arounds that are cheap and effective, but purposefully trying to melt wires and destroy electrical hardware is Darwinian. I know that helps you 0%, but people never cease to amaze me.
[/Rant]

Why someone would run hotter plugs makes no sense either. I go to colder heats on our supercharged Miata to prevent detonation due to the hotter high pressure air. I would certainly replace the plugs with the appropriate heat.

Could be bad coil and/or CPS.
Unread 08-23-2008, 11:43 AM   #5
greengrassgrows
1997 ZJ 

yeah i dont know why the previous owner was jammin wires in there . Anyway i went to my local kragen and i know a mechanic guy that works there he checked the coil and thats fine. so he told me to better ground the electrics which im doing today and to change the cps. which ill do this afternoon, ill keep you updated if it works. thank u all for your help!
Unread 08-26-2008, 01:36 PM   #6
greengrassgrows
1997 ZJ 

i had the dealer check the jeep with there computer and it couldnt find a problem. the jeep even died while on the computer. they said the air idle speed dropped to 2 when it died idk what that means . so what is the prob help me please. im almost ready just to change the computer!
Unread 08-27-2008, 04:03 AM   #7
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Have you tried replacing the IAC valve? My ZJ was stalling recently. I swapped out both the TPS and the IAC valve, and my stalling issues went away. I am pretty sure that my IAC valve was the source of the problem. It was beyond cleaning. It required replacement.
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:59 AM   #8
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by greengrassgrows View Post
yeah i dont know why the previous owner was jammin wires in there . Anyway i went to my local kragen and i know a mechanic guy that works there he checked the coil and thats fine. so he told me to better ground the electrics which im doing today and to change the cps. which ill do this afternoon, ill keep you updated if it works. thank u all for your help!
You can't really 'check' a coil. Usually they become intermittent at varying temperatures. It probably isn't the coil, but just so you know. The only way to be sure is to try another one.
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 11:23 PM   #9
greengrassgrows
1997 ZJ 

whats an iac valve. sorry if that sounds stupid.
Unread 08-28-2008, 06:25 AM   #10
kentman
2006 XK Commander 

Idle air control valve. It is mounted to the throttle body, and it modulates to keep the vehicle running properly, particularly at idle.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.