ASD Relay Can I live without it? - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 09-19-2017, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
1993 ZJ 

ASD Relay Can I live without it? Alternator**

Hello,

I woke up today and drove to town about 20 miles round trip.

My check engine light came on and stayed on.

I did a code test and received error codes:

12 (Problem with the battery connection. Direct battery input to PCM disconnected within 50 ignition key cycles.)
41 (Problem with the charging system. Occurs when battery voltage from the auto shutdown relay is below 11.75-volts.)
55 (Complete. End of message codes.)

I'm really upset because I can't remember if I bought a Auto Shutdown Relay about a year ago or not. I'm pretty sure I did but not 100%.

My question is can I run without it. Is it possible that I've been running my jeep without the relay for some time now.

My problem now is that my battery has 9 volts of power where as it should have 14 volts.

My check engine light stays on.

I'm hoping it's just that I need the auto shutdown relay. I think someone stole it. Although if you can start and drive your vehicle without one then I may of never had it to begin with. Please help me out. I'm thinking about risking it to the auto parts store to get one and see if it resolves the problem.

UPDATE:

I had the diagram upside down I DO actually have a auto shutdown relay. (SORRY)

Okay so even with knowing I have the auto shutdown relay. I swapped the auto shutdown relay with the a/c relay and the check engine light is still on.

Is the auto shutdown relay the same thing as the a/c relay.

I don't have the money right now to spend on even a $16.00 relay. So I just swapped them because I was told they are the same relay. Just in different spots. Yet that didn't fix the problem.

Check engine light is still on. Battery voltage is staying at what looks like 9-10 volts in car dash.

Alternator was tested and is putting out 12 volts.
Battery was tested and is putting out 12 volts.

So I'm thinking the alternator could be going out. If the a/c relay is different than the auto shutdown relay then it could still be the relay causing the problem.

NOTE: My A/C compressor did leak and my alternator is right below it. I'm didn't see anything actually hit the alternator for example the R134a refrigerant but notable.

Any ideas or advice much appreciated!

Problem solved, it was the alternator see later reply (#14) for more details and I hope it helps someone who may be in my situation. Thanks for all the help.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 09-19-2017, 05:21 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

If your battery is at 9 volts, charge the battery? Sounds like you have a bad ground or a bad charging system.

If you didn't have an ASD relay the jeep would not run, unless somebody bypassed it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1984 F250, 460 BB, T19, work truck/future tow pig
1987 Mercedes 300D Turbo, the diesel daily, 30mpg in style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #3 of 14 Old 09-19-2017, 05:37 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
If your battery is at 9 volts, charge the battery? Sounds like you have a bad ground or a bad charging system.

If you didn't have an ASD relay the jeep would not run, unless somebody bypassed it.
Okay well it does have one and it went from 14 volts to 9 volts in seconds.

It's been at 14 volts for months now. So charging it won't fix that it will happen again.

My bad kg6mov, you are right it does have one. I had the diagram upside down.

post #4 of 14 Old 09-19-2017, 05:52 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

I want pics of your PDC if it doesn't have one.

How hacked up do you think the wiring is? That would be the thing I'd be chasing.

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
post #5 of 14 Old 09-19-2017, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
1993 ZJ 

Really strange I got in my Jeep with battery at 9 Volts and I hit 3000 RPM and it shot back up to 14 Volts and stayed there as if it were stuck. The check engine light is still on though...
post #6 of 14 Old 09-19-2017, 06:07 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
1993 ZJ 

Wow dude, my bad my auto shutdown relay is there I had the diagram mixed up thanks to you when I went and took a picture it all made sense. Well it must be going out. Off to go get one and I'll report back before store closes. Thank you
post #7 of 14 Old 09-19-2017, 08:15 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
1993 ZJ 

Okay so even with knowing I have the auto shutdown relay. I swapped the auto shutdown relay with the a/c relay and the check engine light is still on.

Is the auto shutdown relay the same thing as the a/c relay.

I don't have the money right now to spend on even a $16.00 relay. So I just swapped them because I was told they are the same relay. Just in different spots. Yet that didn't fix the problem.

Check engine light is still on. Battery voltage is staying at what looks like 9-10 volts in car dash.

Alternator was tested and is putting out 12 volts.
Battery was tested and is putting out 12 volts.

So I'm thinking the alternator could be going out. If the a/c relay is different than the auto shutdown relay then it could still be the relay causing the problem.

NOTE: My A/C compressor did leak and my alternator is right below it. I'm didn't see anything actually hit the alternator for example the R134a refrigerant but notable.

Any ideas or advice much appreciated!
post #8 of 14 Old 09-19-2017, 09:01 PM
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

AC and ASD relay are interchangeable.

I'd go after grounds as a first step, clean them well. Cleaning is free. Good idea of where they are in the dirty dozen: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/

Quote:
post #9 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 08:46 AM
jeepjeepster

Correct me if Im wrong but the check engine light will not just flip on and off. Once its on it stays on for a certain number of key cycles.

When my alternator was dying the voltage gauge would jump up and down like that.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #10 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 09:54 AM Thread Starter
BrentM94
1993 ZJ 

It just stays on now, yes. I tried to swap relays but no luck there. Now I'm going to take the alternator off and spray it with some brake cleaner since I did notice some R134a leaked right on to it. Hopefully fixing the problem until I can afford a new alternator.

Otherwise it might R.I.P. at the junkyard since work is 40 miles round trip and I don't have the fund for towing. I can't let this happen but I don't really have a choice.

Thanks for the help and I'll try cleaning the connectors as well. Then I'll report back with what has happened.
post #11 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 12:52 PM
jeepjeepster

You're going to junk the Jeep b/c of a bad alternator? How will you afford another vehicle if you cant afford an alternator?

Brake cleaner will not help the alternator and 134a typically turns right to a gas. Anything or that sort dripping on the alternator shouldn't hurt it. Probably just time for it to be rebuilt or replaced.

1994 ZJ-I6 w/216,000 mi
1998 ZJ 5.9 w/65,155 mi Slate Black
2004 KJ w/90,300 mi
post #12 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 02:10 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
1993 ZJ 

Well I have to get to work and I just do not have the money for the alternator. If I brake down I have no family or anyone to help me out.

So if I brake down, I brake down. Last thing I want to do but hopefully my alternator keeps working at 9-12 Volts until the 1st. I've exhausted my resources.

Not trying to be poor me, it's life. Just having bad luck lately but I'd say that original alternator really served its purpose (230k) miles.

Oh don't take it the wrong way, I'd put a new engine in my jeep if I had the money over a new car.

I noticed that green goo leaking out the A/C compressor about 3 weeks ago really bad. I'm not sure if it is for sure the cause but it did look like a goo/ liquid.

I was just hoping for the best with the brake cleaner. You are right but it's all I could come up with.
post #13 of 14 Old 09-20-2017, 04:06 PM
2oldjeeps

green goo is ac oil with a little freon mixed in...
post #14 of 14 Old 09-22-2017, 09:58 PM Thread Starter
BrentM94
1993 ZJ 

Problem solved.

Codes:

My alternator went out. That was the problem. I replaced it Thursday and made it to work Friday.

It took me all day in the rain and I removed my old one before taking it to the autoparts store. I took it to carquest where I was going to buy a new one and trade it in to take the core charge off. I noticed it said NAPA on it. The guy there said to the manager, "I don't mean to F$#% us out of a sale but, I do see it says NAPA on it and these things have a lifetime warranty".

I mean this label was barely eligible thanks to the R134a leaking on to it and engine oil. The only thing legible was "NAPA" and barely. So I took it on over to NAPA and the guy there was really cool about it.

For real I was about to overdraw my bank account just to get the new alternator.

Swapped it out for a new one free of charge. What a blessing.

Brought the new one home and put it on. Note that my battery was charging since that morning right when I took it off. So once I got the new alternator on there I could start the jeep and see if it had charge again. Sure enough, 14 volts.

Drove it town, and to work today works great.

Only problem I had was the Output terminal (B+) nut got stripped.

Reason being that when I went to start the jeep it sounded like for lack of better words. (Electrical clicking and scary noise making me think I shorted something out.) My brain said "This must be the Output terminal (B+) nut that is a pain and a half to tighten.

I tightened it. Stripped it out but did get it tight enough to do the trick. Works great.

Code 12 is still popping up on check engine codes but no more code 41.

Thank you guys for the help and I hope this helps someone else who might be searching every single thread and post trying to figure it out like I did.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.