Arc welding on a unibody - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 19 Old 10-05-2009, 08:16 AM
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

Naw you can weld thin metal with arc. It is not easy. You have to use small diameter rods, low amps and know what you are doing. To high amps + thin metal = blow hole. I was a professional welder for years welding tig, mig and arc. Hands down I would use mig. Not saying you can't blow a hole with mig but if he was welding on my rig he would use mig.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 19 Old 10-05-2009, 08:17 AM
sandman
1993 ZJ 

these days the only thing arc welding is used for is outdoors, in the wind or high altitudes because the MIG gas is ineffective in those situations. in every other situation MIG is superior.

any of you Oregonians ever do the bunji tower at Mt hood ski bowl? this will make you **** your pants if you have but it was recently inspected and failed with flying colors, the thing is only a few years old and on the verge of falling apart because it was built with a MIG welder.

1993 Jeep ZJ. 4.0
post #18 of 19 Old 10-05-2009, 08:25 AM
Area.3.Fiftyone
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
personally i'd rather tig the mounts into place.
I totally agree, but most people aren't setup with an adjustable heat controller on their torch or can weld in awkward positions such as what he is trying to do.

I have a Miller Synchrowave 180 that is all setup for this type of stuff and a Millermatic 135 Mig that is more forgiving with large gaps, not-so-clean sheetmetal and awkward positions.

79' CJ7 - 82' CJ8 - 94' YJ - 96' ZJ
Diagonally parked in a parallel universe.......
post #19 of 19 Old 10-05-2009, 08:31 AM
IslandManMitch
1996 ZJ 

Regardless of the method the skill of the man wielding the welder makes the real difference.
Mitch, Master Manipulator of Molten Metal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.