Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

ARB safari snorkels are AVAILABLE!

5K views 63 replies 18 participants last post by  mdsuave13 
#1 · (Edited)
ARB safari snorkels are AVAILABLE! *Update* 1/10/08

UPDATE**** 1/10/08**** I just talked to the Tech manager for ARBUSA. He happens to drive a 97 zj v8. the kit was designed and tested in austrailia by safari. They do dyno and bench flow testing to make sure that each kit will give equal or better power with the snorkel. He said that the 93-95 zj's are different and require you to move the pcm out of the way, he said the v8 (5.2l) grands will work almost identically to the I-6 (96 up 4.0l is all they have in austrailia to use for the fitment) he said that ARB has not yet seen whether the snorkel kit will work the same on the 5.9 limiteds because they don't have one to compare a 4.0/5.2 against (you may want to get in touch with ARB if you happen to have this model and know the differences, maybe you will get some free goodies)

He also mentioned that the limiting factor for waterproofing a grand for actual submersion would be the distributor, that it is very difficult if not possible to keep it completely sealed. He said that you should be good for mid grilled water depths, but if you sink the distributor, you will lose ignition power, but you wont guzzle water into the engine that way, so there is still a benefit to having it. They also mentioned that it may increase power by a very marginal amount, and even improve mileage because of the colder, more dense air from the snorkel intake, along with keeping you air filter cleaner for longer.

They are sending me a test/evaluation kit to install and do a write up on. I will be taking pictures, doing some off road testing and seat of the pants testing with it. Maybe even try dyno testing if i can get someone with a dyno to help me out on this. The fit/finish of this kit is supposed to be stellar, and we will certainly see.

Like i said before, if you happen to know if there is a difference between the 5.9 and the 4.0/5.2 airbox and mounting locations, you may want to get into contact with arbusa. They may be willing to give you a kit to see about fitment. I will be posting more info as i get it in.

1/9/08
I just received an email from Jim Jackson, the president of the USA division of ARB about the release of the Safari Snorkel kit for the ZJ grand cherokee's.

I have been talking to him for a while now about the kit and finding out as much info as i can on it for everyone.

The kit # is SS1120HF for the ZJ and can apparently be ordered by any of their distributors. The link to the kit pics and other info is here:
http://www.safarisnorkel.com/snorkel/ss1120hf/ss1120hf.htm

See less See more
#27 ·
The Other Matt said:
will my throttle body spacer and tornado work with this snorkel?

are underbody neons waterproof?
i do know that your throttle body spacer and tornado will work with the snorkel, cause it uses the factory airbox.

underbody neons of course will need the optional adapter kit to make them waterproof.

#30 ·
i have have a air box does that count lol... well half in the engine bay lol because i bought the special 25 dollar intake that is duct taped to the 3 inch long tube they gave me with it its a mean lookin piece

#32 ·
Sporer65 said:
You could probaly adapt your intake to work. Just need one of those enclosed air filter boxes like on a Mustang.
i dont doubt that i cant make it work...but to make a snorkel worh while, you have to do lots of other stuff, and it just aint that importiant to me.

#38 ·
mdsuave13 said:
lol... i love bickering.

Here are some pics of the kit that Mr. Jackson sent me to check out.

Wow that looks awesome. Just waiting on the WJ now...

#40 ·
Haha, it isnt installed because i had emergency surgery on my abdomen and groin last night.... otherwise i'd be outside right now freezing my buns off doing it. It will be in this coming saturday assuming that i am cleared by my doc.

It is a very nice kit so far, ARB has also taken EXCEPTIONAL care of me and their customer service guys are amazing. I'm not getting paid to say any of this, even though they did send me the kit for free to review. (i will still tell you if it blows or if i have any BS happen with them or the kit.)

#43 · (Edited)
how did i get it for free? simple, i asked for it...

I don't know anyone at ARB. I emailed their president Jim Jackson and told him i wanted his Snorkel kit to do an install review and write up to post on jeep forums. He said that since its a new product and it hasnt been installed on any american jeeps other then a 1997 5.2l zj, he would be more then happy to send it my way to make sure that it fits the american product the way it should, plus he wants my feedback on the kit to see the ease of install, what may need to be changed or added to the kit to make it better. Etc....

You'd be suprised at what you get when you ask. The worst that anyone can say is no. Which auburn said about their new electric lockers ;-)

#44 ·
I wonder if they have one for this:

Hunter

#48 ·
5.9 ANDY said:
i just talked to my buddy who goes up to the rubicon like 15 times a year, he said that he has never seen the water so high that my ZJ will need a snrokel..

if mud is your thing, or you are in dirty road areas, looks like a good setup...but it aint for me.
Fordyce is the main one, there are 3 river crossings in it. We went through the summer of like a year of two ago, when we hardly got any snow. Even then the water was over 3'. On the rubicon, near rubicon springs you can get into deep doodoo also. At 4" of lift and 33"s I got water up past the cladding and in the grill of my WJ on one trip.

Good depth idea for fordyce, looks like hes running 37"s or so and they disappear by a few inches.

Heres a smaller truck for comparison

#50 ·
2 years ago I would have been saying what all of these "rock crawling" guys are saying...that I don't need a snorkel. I mean, who really needs a snorkel when all they wheel in is the Moab desert and the Rockies?

Of course, had my ZJ been equipped with a snorkel back then my ZJ would still be equipped with it's original motor and I'd have $2,500 more dollars in my wallet.

#51 ·
RyanZJ said:
2 years ago I would have been saying what all of these "rock crawling" guys are saying...that I don't need a snorkel. I mean, who really needs a snorkel when all they wheel in is the Moab desert and the Rockies?

Of course, had my ZJ been equipped with a snorkel back then my ZJ would still be equipped with it's original motor and I'd have $2,500 more dollars in my wallet.
how did you manage to hydrolock your motor? if you don't mind me asking? might be interesting to hear a story about it? do you have pics of the incident?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.