anything better than these bumpers? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > anything better than these bumpers?

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 01-28-2014, 06:32 PM   #1
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

anything better than these bumpers?

Been looking at some bumpers for a while. For the money spent on a pre-built bumper, there just doesn't seem to be better than an ARB delux front winch bumper and a KOR tire carrier "stealth" rear bumper that I've been able to find. Is there really any bumpers better than those? I see costs of ~$1,300 shipped for KOR rear plus ~$1,100 for ARB front shipped. There's a local dealer in ARB parts, I can see if I can get it through him, knock that to around $960. I'll be doing the install so no labor costs there.

Is there anything that's better protection vs dollars spent in a prebuilt package that's a bolt on? I've found a few better but they just about guarantee needing to do modifications before they mount up and I don't have the time or tools for some of them. Keeping in mind I want full coverage to help both in a traffic crash(most likely lower speeds) and to help safeguard my front end from a beam blinded deer and the like. Departure angles are of little concern right now, I'm mainly focused on high levels of protection and long term worth.

Also, with those bumpers, I'm assuming I'll have .5-1" drop in front and around the same to the rear(without spare tire, gas can, etc mounted), correct? That seems to be the avg drop people see on similarly weighted bumpers. I also plan on getting some skids to mount up under the zj alongside these, probably starting with the gas tank. Is there any interference or limits as to what will fit when combined with these or are they all cross compatible for the most part? I hear it's best to mount the skid plate on the gas tank while doing the bumper as they mount together as one basically, right?

[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 06:58 PM   #2
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The ARB is a very strong well built beast and it's guaranteed to fit. Nice powder coating on it too. You will not be disappointed in it. Only negative is that is hangs down a little more than other bumpers.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:05 PM   #3
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

I was debating getting some rhino liner and coat the whole thing thick in that. I knew a guy with a modified f250 super duty with the 7.4L(?) diesel, used for a lot of farm work and construction like hauling. That rhino liner was absolutely indestructible, even with hauling heavy tractor components, having dozens of pounds of hot brass landing everywhere on the range days, etc. so I figure that should make it just that extra bit more indestructible. Definitely better than the powder coating would, that's certain. meh.. wandering mind..

Think there's much better out there that's bolt on and doesn't cost leaps and bounds more than the ARB? I'm pretty stuck on that combo so far but am always willing to listen to those wiser than I.
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:14 PM   #4
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Rhino liner looks like a burnt turd, the powder coating is very durable and thick on that bumper. Hot brass isn't even an issue. Hansen, KOR, Trail Ready, Protofab, ARB, JCR( have a shop weld it up) are all great choices. I probably left out a few.
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:24 PM   #5
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Hansen was a good close second place choice for me, I just couldn't like the styling of their bumpers as much over the ARB. I looked pretty hard at the rest of those as well as others, except the JCR. Good choices
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:35 PM   #6
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Can't post pics right now, but look at Rockhard for the rear. ARB stands up to all sorts of nonsense without messing with the coating.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 07:37 PM   #7
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I beat the check out of mine. Never let me down.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:06 PM   #8
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

ok, gotcha. ARB = fine as is.
That rockhard looks about the same as the KOR but a few extra features for a few Jacksons and a Grant cheaper. Does it tend to squeak or rattle much for the tire carrier version? The TJ version looks solid but I can't find any reviews on zj's
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:16 PM   #9
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

huh, sweet. ARB is finally producing a bumper i can put on my truck =D
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:38 PM   #10
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Go with Kevin's.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-28-2014, 08:55 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Totally agree. Kevin's is on sale right now. Can't beat that.
Unread 01-28-2014, 11:35 PM   #12
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

Unfortunately I won't have anywhere near the money for them soon but I want to be sure the money will be well invested when I do have it. Living payday to payday makes owning a jeep a huge challenge but it will be done. Besides, the safety of my family trumps everything else. Thanks for the input everyone!

Sent from mobile, where errors are common and I'm too lazy to correct them.
Gearhead31 Hooah!
Unread 01-29-2014, 05:50 AM   #13
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

Hanson!!!

http://www.hansonoffroad.com/index.php
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-29-2014, 09:56 AM   #14
Dukcaln

why in the heck are jz bumpers so $$$$ and why a limited amount of manufactures
Unread 01-29-2014, 10:18 AM   #15
jeeepguy
1998 ZJ 

Limited demand

"Great danger lies in the notion that we can reason with evil"
Doug Patton
Quote:
...We use words like honor, code, loyalty. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent defending something. ...I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said thank you, and went on your way, Otherwise, I suggest you pick up a weapon, and stand a post...
Quote:
I bought the HI-WAY BLASTER HORN that's 139dB and every time I honk the horn an Angel dies.
Quote:
Revelation 13:16-18
16 - He causes all, both small and great, rich and poor, free and slave, to receive a mark on their right hand or on their foreheads,
17 - and that no one may buy or sell except one who has the mark or the name of the beast, or the number of his name.
18 - Here is wisdom. Let him who has understanding calculate the number of the beast, for it is the number of a man: (Real ID and RFID chips)
Think about it...
jeeepguy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.