Anyone running stock 16" rims and 4.5" of lift? What size tires do you run? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone running stock 16" rims and 4.5" of lift? What size tires do you run?

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 02-12-2007, 09:04 AM   #1
bjl95mustang
1998 ZJ 

Anyone running stock 16" rims and 4.5" of lift? What size tires do you run?

I am going to be installing my lift here soon and my tires are about worn out. I would like to keep the stock 16" limited rims.

What kind of rubbing issues would I have with some 285-75-16 tires? Would I beable to runs them with out spacers?

4.5" Lift: RE 4.5" springs,Iro rear 3.5 springs+1" spacer, RE shocks, All adjustable arms, IRO front track bar and HD bracket, Rear jks track bar, 1-Ton Steering, 242 tc, 33x12.5x15 GoodYear wrangler silent tires, 15" rock crawler rims, Aussie Locker For My 44A, 760X u-joint front axles.

Soon to come Lock Right Front Locker.

Jeep Inferno member #10

Texas Jeep Club Member #78
bjl95mustang is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #2
nierace
2003 WJ 

You'll have pretty good rubbing and gearing issues if you go with that size...

Most guys run 33's on 6+

But if you do enough trimming you can take care of the rubbing problem. The gearing is pushing it with 33's on the stock 3.73's if you do all local it would probably be fine, but going up big hills on the highway is where it sucks.

For the rims you'll need spacers to put you at 3.75-4" back spacing for 33's
sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
www.carolinadriveline.com
www.ironrockoffroad.com
kolak@aol.com
nierace is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2007, 09:07 AM   #3
BlaineWasHere
BecauseRacecar

I would run 265/75/16

Thats 32/10.5

the 285/75/16's are 33x11.5 and would rub A LOT!
Unread 02-12-2007, 09:43 AM   #4
MidniteSquirrel

I'm running the 2.5" BB from Kevin's and I also have 265/75R16's running on stock wheels. Have some nice rubbing issues on the control arms and limited my turning radius before I put 1.5" wheel spacers on. Keep in mind, those saying you need 3.75"-4" back spacing are thinking of the ZJ. But for a WJ, you start with 6" backspacing on the stock 16" wheels, 17" I believe has the 6.25" backspacing. Putting on anything more than a 1.5" wheel spacer is NOT recommended. Sort of like don't run a polypuck (BB) more than 2"-2.5"...

see www.wjjeeps.com for stock information if you need to.

Edit: Wanted to add that even after the 1.5" wheel spacers, I had to trim part of the front bumper to keep it from rubbing while turning and in reverse.

BB+UC 3.5" lift | K&N FIPK | Armor/Tow points |
265/75R16 Cooper Discoverer S/Ts
MidniteSquirrel is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-12-2007, 09:46 AM   #5
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

If you have ditched your stock LCA's for aftermarket LCA's, expect even more rubbing issues.
Unread 02-12-2007, 12:23 PM   #6
jeepsterbabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaineWasHere
I would run 265/75/16

Thats 32/10.5

the 285/75/16's are 33x11.5 and would rub A LOT!
thats what im running, works well...depending on how hardcore you are...if youre gonna start doing things like disconnecting sway bars and such then you'll need to trim more obvioulsy...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.