Anyone running Notch Customs at stock height - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 09:29 AM Thread Starter
Kolby

Anyone running Notch Customs at stock height

Hey guys, I have a Niner I bought for driving back and forth from school while my 93 limited would remain as my hunting rig as it has a 3inch lift, 32s, roof rack, etc. Unsuprisingly I've fell in love with that 5.9 and my 5.2 is having some serious axle problems. I was considering swapping everything over from the 5.2 to the 5.9 but I don't have the best lift on the 5.2 and regret taking the cheap route. That said money and time is tight. I don't want to lift the Niner because that usually uncovers alot of hidden problems and leads to spending even more cash, so I'm considering getting the notch custom z-max flares and swapping my 32s over. They're mounted on some discontinued Pro Comp La Paz wheels that I think give me 3.5" backspacing and I also have 1.25" wheel spacers I can take off the 5.2. I think this will work, the Z-max flares allow you to run 35s with a 4.5" lift (this is the only specs I could find) if my redneck math is correct, that's 3 inches more than usual and theoretically I could run 33s at stock height. This means the only problem would be scrubbing on the CA and the sway bar which I think could be remedied with the wheels and wheel spacers. I usually don't see many Notch Customs flares because most people just go the sawzall route, but I like to keep my ZJs looking clean and close to stock. Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks

http://notchcustoms.com/product/z-max-fender-flares/

Attached Thumbnails
IMG_20170704_190423_1505661791699.jpg   IMG_20170712_191424_1505661822639.jpg  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 11:37 AM
GOLDWING
1998 ZJ 

At $600 + paint, I would not cut up a niner. Get a 2" budget boost and some good shocks and save some money. 31/10.50 tires will fit with very minor trimming.

GW

2 '98 4.0 ZJs
Hers is stock, mine, OME shocks, BB, Aussie, 2x6 sliders, 31s, etc.
post #3 of 8 Old 09-17-2017, 05:10 PM Thread Starter
Kolby

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLDWING View Post
At $600 + paint, I would not cut up a niner. Get a 2" budget boost and some good shocks and save some money. 31/10.50 tires will fit with very minor trimming.

GW
The idea behind it is that I already have the 32s on my 5.2 and I'm trying to avoid buy another set of tires. The fender is already dented up on one side (previous owner wrecked it) so if anything I feel the fender flares would clean it up. I also plan on repainting the Niner once I get my garage built so paint isn't an issue.

I originally wanted to keep the Niner stock but I can't take it anymore. Gotta get some mud tires on it

post #4 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 07:55 AM Thread Starter
Kolby

Anyone else?
post #5 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 08:46 AM
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
I ran 32s with 1.75" BB with slightly opened up fender flares & bumpers, and 1" added bumpstopping. Front disconnected and wheeled for over a year before doing quite a bit more work on it.

Tires were brand-new 32 x 11.50 BFG MT KM2s on 15 x 8 steelies that had 4" BS.

1998 Grand Cherokee 5.9 LX daily driver, 1.75" BB, 32" KM2s, HPD30 Eaton e-locker/D44a stock LSD, 4.56 gears, custom- fabbed tube bumpers and tube fenders,...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
post #6 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 12:27 PM
RWC

Not at stock height, but my wife's been running Iceland Offroad flares (same as Notch; there's a history there) with just a spacer and 32"s for many years.
post #7 of 8 Old 09-21-2017, 10:45 PM
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Notch flares look great if they are painted and installed correctly.
After all, it's just a fender. Every zj fender is the same.
You are not cutting anything special.
I'd say go for it.
One thing to remember is that the 5.9 is exceedingly rare and if you mud it and tear it up then it's a waste.
If I had another one I'd do a street rig with 408 stroker.
post #8 of 8 Old 09-25-2017, 10:58 AM Thread Starter
Kolby

Thanks guys, so it does seem possible. I plan on running the Doestch Tech 8000s that IRO carries. I know they're stiffer than alot of people like but I'm going to be towing a boat and want minimal sagging in the rear.....also who doesn't want integrated bump stops. I don't plan on wheeling it, with the exception of an occasional wet field. It's mostly just for looks and if I need more height I'll go with spacers in the front. Hopefully I'll be able to do it around Christmas and I'll be sure to make a post about it. My ZJ will definitely stand out from the crowd when I'm done with it ?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.