anyone put rear xj shocks on a zj? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > anyone put rear xj shocks on a zj?

JK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!QTP Low Profile Cutouts Now @ MarylandSpeed- Free ShippingOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!

Unread 10-15-2010, 02:13 PM   #1
customzj73
1993 ZJ 

anyone put rear xj shocks on a zj?

okay so i bent my mx6 monotube shocks on my last outing and i need two new rear shocks. im runnin 8" of lift and cant find any cheap shocks that big besides Rusty's cherokee shocks....
now i know that they are a softer spring rate but that doesnt really matter,
Will they fit??? i know the mounting is the same almost but i have heard that the mounts themselves are different??

Unread 10-15-2010, 07:01 PM   #2
TallyZJ
1996 ZJ 

Don't think that works. XJ's use a bar pin up top and eye loop down below. You could remove the bar pin and insert a bushing sleeve but the length may not be right either.

ZJ's use loop eye bottom and top.
TallyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:18 AM   #3
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

I did this on mine, running Rancho 9000s. Yes pins need to be removed etc, but it can be done if the length is OK. Cherokees use a longer shock for a given lift - quite a bit longer. So check the specs!

But talk to Rusty's. Whoever they buy from will likely supply them with ZJ shocks for the same prices, even if they are not in the catalog today.

Good luck!
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 08:37 AM   #4
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I'd go the special order route. Rusty's will work with you.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-16-2010, 03:00 PM   #5
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by customzj73 View Post
okay so i bent my mx6 monotube shocks on my last outing and i need two new rear shocks. im runnin 8" of lift and cant find any cheap shocks that big besides Rusty's cherokee shocks....
now i know that they are a softer spring rate but that doesnt really matter,
Will they fit??? i know the mounting is the same almost but i have heard that the mounts themselves are different??
throwing unmatched shocks in the back will give you an aweful driving experience.

pony up for the same as the fronts.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2010, 10:09 AM   #6
StellaTheZJ
1996 ZJ 

Having different shocks in the rear may be just fine - or not. Depends on the load you typically carry. I have adjustable shocks, and running empty, the front shocks are set firmer than the rear. On the other hand, towing a heavy trailer, or with a family full of bodies and gear, I set the rear shocks very firm. So if the rear shocks end up being different than the front, you might like them sometimes, and not so much at other times.

As ratmonkey says though, having all four shocks the same may give you the best experience under all load conditions.
StellaTheZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.