Anyone know how to remove the glove box? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone know how to remove the glove box?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-17-2010, 04:37 PM   #1
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Anyone know how to remove the glove box?

Hi y'll,
I have 1997 Grand Cherokee, and have owned it for about 2 years now. Ever since I bought it, the glove box has been broken. It was orginally closed, and you couldn't get it to open. The latch to open it is whats broken. I was able to open it by flipping myself upside down on the passenger seat. Ever since then, I left it open to use it for whatever. However, I think it's about time to replace it. I took a look at it and took out all of the screws that are visible, including the several underneath the box but it still won't come out. How does it come out?? here is a pic of it:

Thanks y'll!
-Steve

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxa3-LJhz-Y
steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #2
98BlackZJ
1998 ZJ 

There are 2 screws that go in from the back into the trim piece around the VIC. You have to remove the trim piece below the steering wheel and the trim piece around the VIC also, they are all interlocked.
Unread 06-17-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

So what you are saying is that the entire bottom has to come out from drivers side to passenger? That doesnt seem like too big of a deal, Ive had all that out before. Will that get just the door of the glove box off? or will it take the entire thing with it?

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

Unread 06-17-2010, 05:19 PM   #4
98BlackZJ
1998 ZJ 

Sorry, didn't realize you were trying to remove just the door. That will remove the whole thing. I'm not sure if you can remove just the door or how to do it if you can.
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:36 PM   #5
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

I would like to remove just the door if possible. I did notice rivits on the bottom of the door on either side of the screws. that may be stopping it from coming out.

Unread 06-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #6
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve L. View Post
I would like to remove just the door if possible. I did notice rivits on the bottom of the door on either side of the screws. that may be stopping it from coming out.
Those rivets were put in on the assembly line to speed things up. You need to drill them out to get the door off. Don't worry about replacing them as the screws hold the door on just fine.
Unread 06-18-2010, 03:12 PM   #7
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Oh alright so if I just drill them out, and unscrew the screws the door should come off. Thanks!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.