Anyone Ever Use K-seal??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone Ever Use K-seal???

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 10-06-2009, 11:32 PM   #1
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

Anyone Ever Use K-seal???

I have a small leak in my heater core on my Limited 5.9. So today I decided on the shops advice that does a lot of my work to try K-Seal stop leak. They told me it will not plug up the heater core or radiator as many sealers do. So today I poured it in. I drove it about 10 miles & parked it. I will know more in the morning if it worked. It is made up of ceramic & copper. You just leave it in, & it mixed with all types of anti freeze.
Has anyone else ever used it?

CULate is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 12:04 AM   #2
sandman
1993 ZJ 

i havent used it, sounds sketchy though.
Unread 10-07-2009, 12:09 AM   #3
Mopargearhead
1997 ZJ 

I don't trust any type of sealer no matter how much they claim it won't cause damage. I had a customer use it to try and seal a leaking water pump on his Dodge Sprinter and it ended up costing him a $600 radiator, new water pump (obviously), and flushing the system multiple times to get the gunk out of the heater core and engine block.
Mopargearhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 12:50 AM   #4
dckaz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopargearhead View Post
I don't trust any type of sealer no matter how much they claim it won't cause damage. I had a customer use it to try and seal a leaking water pump on his Dodge Sprinter and it ended up costing him a $600 radiator, new water pump (obviously), and flushing the system multiple times to get the gunk out of the heater core and engine block.
wow not to get off topic but why wouldn't someone just replace a water pump
dckaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-07-2009, 11:48 AM   #5
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopargearhead View Post
I agree, but I thought I would try it. Heck, a heater core is a BIG JOB. If I can put it off I'll give it a try. The shop that told me to use it has had great success with it. My heater core only leaks when cold once it heats up it stops. As explained to me that Jeep used a plastic with metal core, just like the radiators. & as they get old they seem to seep when cold & when they heat up they stop because of the expansion of metal. I don't have any liquid on the floor or anywhere. Just when you start it in the morning if I don't drive it regularly I smell anti-freeze until it warms up then it quits. Every so often I get a small amount of fog on my windshield.
I'll let you guys know if it does the job.
PS. I know that Alum-Seal & some others will cause all kinds of problems with these newer vehicles. Alum-Seal will as I'm told seal everything including the radiator tubes solid & heater core solid.
Unread 10-08-2009, 09:54 PM   #6
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

Well, This morning the wife drove the Jeep to work & she said the smell of anti-freeze was gone. So The K-SEAL must of worked. So it seems to be an option to replacing them if they are not too bad.
Unread 10-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #7
indianajeep

2005 WK 

time will tell - usually those stop leak fixes are temporary at best. But good luck. I speak from experience of buying a ZJ that was full of that stuff - first time the antifreeze was changed - tada - antifreeze leak reappeared - new radiator, new engine, etc. The stop leak was temporarily hiding cracked block, cracked heads and a radiator full of holes.
Unread 10-09-2009, 10:07 AM   #8
subliminal
1997 XJ Cherokee 

On top of it only being a temp fix your heater core will now not work as effectively since that stuff is coating the inside of it and it will be hindering heat transfer.
Unread 10-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #9
comishcraig
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by indianajeep View Post
The stop leak was temporarily hiding cracked block, cracked heads and a radiator full of holes.
Wow...that's some pretty good stuff if it can stop that much from leaking.
1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 5.2 - Mountain fun Vehicle
1996 Kawasaki 750ss - Lake fun
1996 Kawasaki 750xi - More lake fun
comishcraig is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 10:26 AM   #10
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

It would be nice if that stuff really worked, it's a band aid on a cut that needs stitches. All that stuff you pour in your radiator has to accumilate somewhere, there are areas you don't want it to accumilate.

Unhook your heater core hoses until you can fix it the right way. Shop around for a good heater core, so you don't have to tear it apart twice.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-09-2009, 02:23 PM   #11
CULate
1930 J-Series Truck 

Well we will see if & how long it works. The worst case is I will have to take it to the shop that advised using this & does a lot of work for me & have a new heater core installed. It is only $600.
In the old days I use to fix radiator leaks with yellow mustard.
Unread 12-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #12
Tony01
1994 YJ Wrangler 

The micro particles that k seal use do not gather anywhere, or clog anything, they circulate around the system until there is a leak which causes a small loss in coolant pressure. They are then drawn to the leak blocking and fixing said leak. I have a 95 wrangler 4l limited with k seal in for last 5 years no leaks, no blockages , no problems. If using a sealing product I suggest a cooling system flush first to ensure no blockages before use.
Tony01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.