Anyone else being screwed by VANCO Brakes? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 Old 10-03-2016, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
worldwidewille

Just checking in if anyone has ordered vanco recently and received the correct ABS uprights. I'm still SOL. I wanted to order replacement pads from them but I'll take my business elsewhere.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 Old 10-03-2016, 10:36 PM
CatSplat
1994 ZJ 

Vanco still hasn't sent you the right knuckles? It's been like a year and a half, that's completely absurd.

1994 5.9L ZJ, retrofitted UC package, NP242 swap, 17" JK Moabs with 32" BFG MT KM's.
The Jeep of Theseus
post #18 of 20 Old 10-03-2016, 11:06 PM
tjcustomranger
1993 ZJ 

When i looked into vanco i saw A LOT of bad reviews and similiar issues.

post #19 of 20 Old 10-06-2016, 11:57 AM
paulsheer2
1993 ZJ 

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by worldwidewille View Post
Just checking in if anyone has ordered vanco recently and received the correct ABS uprights. I'm still SOL. I wanted to order replacement pads from them but I'll take my business elsewhere.
are you talking about "blackmagicbrakes.com" ??

yes i have these

i installed them a year ago

my ABS is fine -- i think i was the first ZJ to try these with ABS because "mrblaine" said he needed to check if it would work before shipping. It all worked fine.

The minor issues I had were:

1. on the top ball joint, the hex nut does not turn in far enough to get a regular cotter pin in. you can only get one leg of the cotter pin in. this is due to the ABS cable holder which acts as a washer. presumably without the cable holder, the nut would go on a quarter turn further and the cotter pin would fit more easily.

2. on a very steep decline the brakes shudder because they are insufficiently stiff. many brakes do this, so it's not a worry. but it's not optimum either

3. the brake pad sits right close to the edge of the rotor: its closer to the edge than anything i've seen. i'm suspecting as it wears it *may* "go round" the edge. probably not a problem -- i just noticed it

4. you have to turn-down your hubs to get them to fit. i did this on my lathe, but most people will not have a lathe. so it's a bit tricky to get these turned down using his instructions. he sold timken hubs that fit, last i checked -- i may buy these when i need new bearings

also also asked him why so expensive: he explained how expensive it is to make such a product and i completely understand having tried to make a steering brace to sell on ebay. when numbers are small, everything is ENORMOUSLY more expensive.

93 ZJ 5.2, 3.58 stroked. 242 swap. 2.5" lift. dozens of mods.
post #20 of 20 Old 11-01-2016, 05:12 PM Thread Starter
worldwidewille

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulsheer2 View Post
are you talking about "blackmagicbrakes.com" ??

yes i have these

i installed them a year ago

my ABS is fine -- i think i was the first ZJ to try these with ABS because "mrblaine" said he needed to check if it would work before shipping. It all worked fine.

The minor issues I had were:

1. on the top ball joint, the hex nut does not turn in far enough to get a regular cotter pin in. you can only get one leg of the cotter pin in. this is due to the ABS cable holder which acts as a washer. presumably without the cable holder, the nut would go on a quarter turn further and the cotter pin would fit more easily.

2. on a very steep decline the brakes shudder because they are insufficiently stiff. many brakes do this, so it's not a worry. but it's not optimum either

3. the brake pad sits right close to the edge of the rotor: its closer to the edge than anything i've seen. i'm suspecting as it wears it *may* "go round" the edge. probably not a problem -- i just noticed it

4. you have to turn-down your hubs to get them to fit. i did this on my lathe, but most people will not have a lathe. so it's a bit tricky to get these turned down using his instructions. he sold timken hubs that fit, last i checked -- i may buy these when i need new bearings

also also asked him why so expensive: he explained how expensive it is to make such a product and i completely understand having tried to make a steering brace to sell on ebay. when numbers are small, everything is ENORMOUSLY more expensive.

I noticed your issue for number "3" as well.

I just replaced my pads and went with EBC. Happy to switch and never support that company again.

Also, i'm assuming I didn't grind off enough on the hub as my pads were very unevenly worn. Am I right to make this assumption?

Thanks everyone for your input.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.