Anyone add a spring loaded belt tensioner to the 4.0? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anyone add a spring loaded belt tensioner to the 4.0?

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Shop Stuff to Complete the Job!

Unread 11-12-2013, 06:44 PM   #16
93zjer
1993 ZJ 

Im glad we have this forum to work this stuff out. I know that even the "p/s tension setup" isnt really that slow or frustrating but many of us are tinkering with our jeeps or friends jeeps so often that these little time saving mods can be very worthwhile. Im trying to get through mid-terms right now but I'll let everybody know if I get any more info here. I believe 1994 ZJ is probably correct in the above post.

93zjer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 06:48 PM   #17
somebody5788
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 93zjer View Post
Im glad we have this forum to work this stuff out. I know that even the "p/s tension setup" isnt really that slow or frustrating but many of us are tinkering with our jeeps or friends jeeps so often that these little time saving mods can be very worthwhile. Im trying to get through mid-terms right now but I'll let everybody know if I get any more info here. I believe 1994 ZJ is probably correct in the above post.
It is for mine... the bolt is really corroded so it's very hard to move it.
Unread 11-12-2013, 07:47 PM   #18
rayacky
1999 ZJ 

Hi, just spotted this thread, & can confirm my RHD 99 ZJ is adjusted by the alternator as well, & i would not bother changing.
By the way it is a lot easier to get to than the one in the pictures. Cheers Ray.
rayacky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-12-2013, 09:55 PM   #19
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Good idea, but I got too much stuff that needs fixin' to hunt new things to do

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-13-2013, 03:33 AM   #20
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Summary of 4.0 belt tensioning setups (LHD, don't know about RHD myself):

Up through 95: adjusted via the PS pump. Loosen 3 bolts + locknut, then adjust tensioner bolt.

96-98 zj + xj up to 01: tensioner pulley below PS pump. Loosen locknut, then adjust tensioner bolt (change required re-routing belt, removing 1 idler near alternator, adding tensioner pulley, new mounting bosses cast into intake manifold to accept direct mounting of PS pump)

99-up (wj + some tj): spring loaded tensioner near alternator. Belt was re-routed, alternator raised, a/c comp relocated below PS pump.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.