Anybody want a stray niner (almost free) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anybody want a stray niner (almost free)

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 05-31-2014, 08:07 AM   #1
98ZJOKC

Anybody want a stray niner (almost free)

*** UPDATE - JEEP IS GONE - PICKED UP BY IT'S NEW OWNER ***

I have an extra vehicle - a 1998 5.9L ZJ, bright platinum with extensive hail damage and a rough running engine. Nearly all of the suspension items have been replaced in the past year, new rear wheel bearings, and both difs have been serviced, new tires, and new stereo head with backup camera. It has a clean green Oklahoma title, though it was a total loss on insurance due to the hail damage (about a 100 small hail pings on all body panels).

I don't want to deal with people on craigslist and I just got a huge project that's going to take up all my time for the next several months. I'll make more money selling it and concentrating on the project than I will in fixing up the ZJ and getting a better price.

Actually, I said almost free. I've changed my mind. It is free. BUT, you have to live close enough to Oklahoma City to come inspect the car yourself (or have another poster on here act as your agent). I want it to go to an ZJ enthusiast who might be able to bring it back to its days of glory or who needs the parts to bring their own ZJ back. To clarify - I will not ship.

The car will drive around the block and could be driven to a local mechanic's shop, but anything more than 10 miles and I would recommend a trailer.

If you have any questions (which should be much more than what time can I pick it up - remember it's FREE) post them here so that anyone else who reads this can see the question and answer.

Okay, so you wondered what you were going to be doing today when you woke up - you're going to be spending your day trying to figure out how to go pick up your free niner and get it out of my garage.

And since this will probably be my last thread on this forum, I want to thank everyone who's contributed to the forum and especially to those who've done the how to write-ups - you've saved me hours and hours of frustration over time.

Oh, and I forgot - you can pick it up today (5/31/2014) or it will end up being next weekend (starting 6/6/2014).

98ZJOKC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 08:27 AM   #2
raprider
1996 ZJ 

I would LOVE to come get this jeep, but I live up in Michigan so I don't think it will happen for me.
raprider is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

Been looking for a donor/wreck Niner for the drivetrane... wish i were close enough to take advantage of your generosity.

Karma points..
Unread 05-31-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
98ZJOKC

There will be a lot of guys out there just like you raprider - hate to rub salt in the wounds, but it's RUST FREE. Something you guys in Michigan haven't seen in a dozen years or so.

Keep 'em coming - the pain expressed at not being able to go pick up a free niner is the only payment I'm getting out of this deal.
Unread 05-31-2014, 08:48 AM   #5
raprider
1996 ZJ 

Do you have any pictures of it? It's gonna kill me seeing it and not being able to get it
Unread 05-31-2014, 08:53 AM   #6
Nick05
1987 MJ Comanche 

i wish i had a trailer, i would be there in a heart-beat. i could think of all kinds of things i could use off of it for my wife's zj and my mj.
Nick05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 08:57 AM   #7
Xpress
1989 YJ Wrangler 

Dammit. I'd be all over it like white on rice.
-2004 Kawasaki KLR650 sunny day driver
[QUOTE=mudsweatNgearz;21162729]Leave em off and weld an I beam on. Bumperetts just scream homo.[/QUOTE]
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the [B][I]RIGHT[/I][/B] of the people to keep and bear Arms, [B][I]SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED[/I][/B]."
Xpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 09:58 AM   #8
PTECH
1998 ZJ 

Any idea what's wrong with the engine? How many miles are on it? Does it have to go to a poster here? I have family in okc that could pick it up?
PTECH is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 10:14 AM   #9
98ZJOKC

Pictures

Quote:
Originally Posted by raprider View Post
Do you have any pictures of it? It's gonna kill me seeing it and not being able to get it
Hopefully, I am successful in posting pictures.
imag0192.jpg   imag0193.jpg   imag0194.jpg  
Unread 05-31-2014, 10:19 AM   #10
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Hmm.....

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 10:23 AM   #11
98ZJOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by PTECH View Post
Any idea what's wrong with the engine? How many miles are on it? Does it have to go to a poster here? I have family in okc that could pick it up?
It was running absolutely fine. We took it on a 120 miles trip the day before. It has 186,000 miles. It didn't seem to be having any trouble, then the next day, 5 miles from home it started running very rough and jerky while my son was driving it. I picked him up and took him on to school and then that afternoon, I cleaned the IAC valve and got it limped back home. Since have thoroughly cleaned throttle body and replaced IAC.

No billowy white smoke from exhaust, no milky oil. Harmonic balancer does not wobble. My guess is distributor/electrical issue.

I don't care how it gets out of my garage, but I want it out. I said earlier that another poster could act as your agent to inspect the vehicle, but I really don't care if it's a poster on this forum who helps you out, it can be a family member who lives here near OKC, but I would like for it to go to an enthusiast who will do the right thing.
Unread 05-31-2014, 10:35 AM   #12
raprider
1996 ZJ 

Anyone want to get this for me? I'll get it by the end of June!!!
Unread 05-31-2014, 10:40 AM   #13
SuperLuke
1998 ZJ 

Wow! That still looks nice. I thought it was going to LOOK totalled.
SuperLuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2014, 10:45 AM   #14
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

I want it.. let me look at having it picked up next weekend if someone doesnt beat me to it.
Unread 05-31-2014, 10:47 AM   #15
98ZJOKC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SuperLuke View Post
Wow! That still looks nice. I thought it was going to LOOK totalled.
FYI - the pictures from above are pictures from today. You can't see the hail damage in the pictures, but it's there.

The interior is not bad. There is a 1 inch seem in the drivers seat that is coming apart. The headliner is falling down. All of the plastic is in good condition with the exception of one a/c vent on passengers side. It still has the spare tire cover in the back which is on an OEM wheel with old rubber.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.