Anybody used Bars Stop Leak?? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anybody used Bars Stop Leak??

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 09-15-2009, 06:01 AM   #1
WXman
2001 WJ 

Anybody used Bars Stop Leak??

I need a new rear main seal. Mine leaks some. I also have the small head gasket leak that is common. But before I rip into all that work, I saw this stuff advertised called BARS Stop Leak that is specifically designed for rear main seals. Anybody use that stuff?

'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 06:41 AM   #2
318jeepcherokee
1998 ZJ 

a guy came into my work with very little money and his rad was leaking really badly from a whole right i the middle of it, he asked what he could do to get by, in reality he needed a rad but we decided to throw in a bottle of stop leak( not sure of the brand) in it just to se if that could help him for a bit and yep it sealed it right up. still isnt leaking. (month later)

i know this a rad not a main seal or head gasket but i would think it still might apply.

connor.
-1998 grand cherokee 5.9- custom intake, MTX sledge hammer sub with two JBL audio speakers in the rear doors and JVC deck, Westin safari bar with two 6' lights, Yakima load warrior with reverse lights, Hooker aero chamber muffler.
318jeepcherokee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 07:26 AM   #3
squashman702
1994 ZJ 

It's a band aid until you can get a permanent fix.
Unread 09-15-2009, 09:05 AM   #4
JensGCherokee

Bars Leak or any leak fix is bad for any vehicle.. For a temp fix (a few weeks) is fine, but after that it starts to clog up the flow ports & also does in the thermostat. After getting a new Rad, before you put it in, FLUSH THE SYSTEM really good!!! You want to get whatever is left in there out.
Unread 09-15-2009, 09:09 AM   #5
rugermack
1995 ZJ 

Could clog some of the tubes in the rad, or in the engine block.
95' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 148k, 5.2, NP242, 46RH, 4" RC lift, all new adjustable ca's(2 IRO front uppers and the rest RC adjustables), nitro shocks, JKS TB's, Jet Chip, Dynamax cat back, Magnaflow cat, GTP hood vents. 31" Pro Comps with Rock Krawler "D"s. Westin brush/grill guard with Hella 500s, 411's, Solid diff covers, detroit locker rear, power lock in front, SYE and Tom Wood's front/rear shafts, RE discos, BPE's, d-rings front and back, factory tc and rad skid, hitch, Sliders next.
03' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, (wifes Jeep) 99k, 4.7 5 speed auto, K&N, KYB shocks, drilled-slotted rotors, All the toys.
2000' Ford Superduty, F250, 7.3, 198K, 37's, too much to list.

Built Not Bought #257

Parts for sale d30 and d35 parts http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f126/...-parts-1004499
rugermack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 09:32 AM   #6
WiCkeDuDe
Web Wheeler

2002 WJ 

Yeah Ive had it clog up heater cores on me. Yes I closed if off when I added it.
WiCkeDuDe is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2009, 09:35 AM   #7
Rmart30

Ive seen cars come into the shop that have had bars leak and others in the radiators...... bad bad stuff, clogs up badly in thermostats and heater cores.

As far a something for "sealing" oil leaks. It has chemicals that cause seals (rubber) to swell. Most motor oils have a small amount of it added to them to keep seals from getting brittle.
Its a "band aid fix" at best.
Rmart30 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.