Anybody run into this problem? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anybody run into this problem?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEMassive SAVINGS on VISION X EVO PRIME 10 WATT LED LIGHT BANew Product Release: Flowmaster CA Legal Direct-Fit Cataly

Unread 03-06-2013, 05:28 PM   #1
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

Anybody run into this problem?

98 Jeep zj with a 4.0. This Jeep has been to hell and back. Lots of miles and issues.... Trying to keep it going for a little longer. I replaced bcm because of faulty original with internal short. Fixed the drain. Rebuilt alternator, starter and new battery. Cleaned every connection as well. Now only starts with a jump start. Starts right up and will drive fine. Park it and try to start it again and nothing. No power anywhere. Battery is fine. My next fix will be the battery cables and clamps. Any thoughts?

Unread 03-06-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
MtnboyBamm
1993 ZJ 

Location: In between Bakersfield and Valencia Ca in a small town called Frazier Park, ca
I was having a similar problem too. Cleaned the battery terminals and bought new clamps for it. Not a single problem since. GC's are touchy when it comes to battery issues...
MtnboyBamm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:00 PM   #3
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Where are you hooking the cables for the jump? This might tell you where the problem could be. A good battery, good terminals (clean and tight ) and good cables should not need a jump.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-06-2013, 08:19 PM   #4
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

I hook the cables straight to the post on both. I think the battery cables are original and I can see green corrosion where it goes into the wire shield. Its just weird that nothing comes on when I turn the key. No lights, gauges, nothing....
Unread 03-07-2013, 03:37 AM   #5
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeejayZeejay View Post
I hook the cables straight to the post on both.
Last cable connected (NEG) always goes to bare metal on the disabled vehicle, NOT the battery. Engine or frame connection away from battery.

Creating sparks near the battery can ignite/explode a battery.

I've seen it close up. Don't risk it.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:35 AM   #6
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

I had the same problem when I got my ZJ. It had a new alt and battery. After noticing the hammer marks on the starter, I replaced it. Still would not start without jumping. Voltage guage was all over the place. While cleaning the battery terminals again, I noticed the body ground was rusty and neg cable corroded (green). I replaced both cables cleaned the grounds and added a extra ground from firewall to the engine/ starter bolt.
Every thing now works great! Starts instantly, no more misses at idle. My non-working windows and door locks now work and gauge holds steady at 14 volts.
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
DeejayZeejay
1994 ZJ 

So you replaced both battery cables and added a ground to the starter?
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:04 AM   #8
PeteNnewburg
1995 ZJ 

Yes. The cables on a ZJ split off in a few different directions! If possible buy OE cables! These things are really finicky about the electronics. I had to splice and solder the Negative cable. It comes off the battery terminal in two wires, one to the body, the other goes down to the block, but also splits off to the alternator with a special connector.
There is one on Ebay, looks like crap, but you can see how the cables run. # 261178514480

I added the extra body ground out of habit, I've owned a lot of Fords!
'89 F150, 4" Rancho
PeteNnewburg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2013, 02:54 PM   #9
cootertwo
1997 XJ Cherokee 

Yup, these things need GOOD grounds. I too cleaned all the stock connections, and added a couple more ground cables. I had a basket full of made up cables from old golf carts.
cootertwo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.