any way to keep water off belts and pulleys or do i have a different issue? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > any way to keep water off belts and pulleys or do i have a different issue?

Rough Country Lift Kits and Parts!Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!Don't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!

Unread 08-14-2013, 06:42 AM   #1
SewerRat114
1998 ZJ 

any way to keep water off belts and pulleys or do i have a different issue?

I work for a water treatment facility and part of my job is going out to the wells and lift stations and I use my jeep for it. With the 10+" rain just this month the roads are unkept and rutted so when I splash through I kick water up on the belt and pulleys and loose charging and power steering....is there a skid i can add or do I have a different issue to look into?

SewerRat114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:01 AM   #2
Pierre_r

1989 XJ Cherokee 

Do you still have that rubber piece of **** splashguard under the engine that was on the jeep from the factory?

If not put one on.
Pierre_r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:23 AM   #3
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

I hope you get vehicle allowance for that.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 07:42 AM   #4
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Getting the belt wet won't cause a loss of charging and power steering.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:31 AM   #5
SewerRat114
1998 ZJ 

There is something off the radiator hanging down a bit but nothing from the radiator back protecting/covering that area under the crank pulley. I do get compensated for useing my own vehicle.

What I am figuring is that I am splashing water up on the belt and its slipping, preventing the power steering pump and alternator from spinning correctly...if I am wrong in my thought process please educate me.

These aren't street puddles...I am inches from my rockers in some of these ruts headed out to the wells.
SewerRat114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 08:54 AM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have driven through plenty of deep water crossing and gumbo mud sometimes past the rockers. Never had that problem. Is your belt tensioner worn out or not tight enough?

Try slowing down as well.
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 12:24 PM   #7
KJK
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewerRat114 View Post
What I am figuring is that I am splashing water up on the belt and its slipping, preventing the power steering pump and alternator from spinning correctly...if I am wrong in my thought process please educate me.
You are absolutely correct. The belt hydroplanes on the pulleys.
Unread 08-19-2013, 05:50 AM   #8
Higgins
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SewerRat114 View Post
I work for a water treatment facility and part of my job is going out to the wells and lift stations and I use my jeep for it. With the 10+" rain just this month the roads are unkept and rutted so when I splash through I kick water up on the belt and pulleys and loose charging and power steering....is there a skid i can add or do I have a different issue to look into?
Doesn't sound right....................

The radiator shroud on the jeep is a lot deeper than a lot of cars these days, and there is a flexible rubber that is secured from the radiator shroud to the side rails and covers the front part of the engine to keep water / mud from splashing up on the engine!

With that said, we've had both our 95, 96, and 98 jeeps in water deep enough that the fan bladed were hitting the water, with no effect on the jeep operation.

Maybe you should consider checking the tension on your belt, or replace the belt ans see what happens!
Higgins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:19 PM   #9
coltman151
1995 ZJ 

Mine did that. Found it out trying to cross a flooded stream.

Tighten the belt. Even if it seems tight, tighten some more. If that doesn't help, replace.
Unread 08-20-2013, 01:31 AM   #10
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I agree with tightening the belt. Put a gates belt on it. If it has a Dayco or some autozone belt....keep it as spare and install a Gates....tightly. We run in rain all the time and you know water splashes up there, yet no one is complaining of slipping belts.

Is your battery running down? If so, it's another issue...not a wet belt.

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.