Any way to advance the timing on a 1998 4.0? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Any way to advance the timing on a 1998 4.0?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wNEW JK WRANGLER GRAB BARS NOW at ROCKRIDGE4WDNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wd

Unread 01-22-2014, 05:32 AM   #1
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Any way to advance the timing on a 1998 4.0?

My Jeep runs on LPG - basically propane. Starts on propane, drives on it, and stops on it - no need for petrol at all.
Naturally I'd like to take advantage of it's 112 octane properties, but there isn't much point cutting the head, etc. if I can't adjust the timing to suit. And I know I can't do that via the dizzy.
A quick google brought up adjustable CPSs as a way to do it - are these available at all or is it a case of "butcher your own"?

Camaro16 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:04 AM   #2
JS97ZJ
1997 ZJ 

Adjustable CPS?
Interesting concept!
As far as I know our petro burning ZJ's computers have a set parameter that it seeks out as engine conditions change. Installing chips and attempting to change distributor position (fuel timing) does nothing. The computer will adjust itself in order to get the best o2 readings.
The only way of making any difference (here in the states) is to get an after market performance PCM.
Just for the record, what kind of performance do you get with propane?
Our propane is sold here by weight and I can get propane for $0.50 /lb here in my neck of the woods.
JS97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 08:37 AM   #3
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

I don't notice any performance difference at all, it's a new kit just fitted. Here it's half the price of gasoline and gives you roughkly the same mileage, maybe -10% mpg. I think the only trouble you might have is that I understand in the US Propane tanks have to be fitted outside the vehicle - mine is an original old kit, with a big LPG tank under the floor beside a very small gasoline tank in case you run out - all replacing the original fuel tank! So it'd satisfy the "outside the car" rule as well... a bit like this... http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog/Jeep.html
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
1slo_camaro
1998 ZJ 

can you post pics of your setup? I am pretty damn intrigued by this. Propane is cheap as hell compared to gasoline at 3.17$/Gal
1slo_camaro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-22-2014, 09:42 AM   #5
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

I'll try, at the weekend when it's light when I get home!
Unread 01-22-2014, 10:46 AM   #6
Camaro16
1998 ZJ 

Here's a pic of your typical LPG/Gasoline tank setup, under the floor. Note that the tanks are designed to be stronger than the car chassis - so they will deform the chassis around themselves in a crash, rather than explode.

And a typical 6-cylinder setup on a jeep - you can see the injectors and the black propane hoses running to the manifold.

Here's the kit I used - http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog..._End_Only.html (6 cylinder version)

Best bit is, all you need is a laptop and you can map the fuel to your heart's content. Now I want to advance the spark, but the propane ECU doesn't control that, the PCM does - so I have 112 octane fuel and standard ignition timing!
Unread 01-24-2014, 12:56 PM   #7
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro16 View Post
Here's a pic of your typical LPG/Gasoline tank setup, under the floor. Note that the tanks are designed to be stronger than the car chassis - so they will deform the chassis around themselves in a crash, rather than explode.

And a typical 6-cylinder setup on a jeep - you can see the injectors and the black propane hoses running to the manifold.

Here's the kit I used - http://www.tinleytech.co.uk/acatalog..._End_Only.html (6 cylinder version)

Best bit is, all you need is a laptop and you can map the fuel to your heart's content. Now I want to advance the spark, but the propane ECU doesn't control that, the PCM does - so I have 112 octane fuel and standard ignition timing!
Patrick

FlyinRyan can reprogram the PCM to take advantage of what you need. I was going to do this when i get round to the head, cam install. Only thing is if you ever run out of gas (LPG) running timing to take advantage of the higher octane (i thought it was 118 but have been proved wrong before) there could be some serious detination going on using our petrol reserve.

Strangely enough, i just spent all day cleaning mine up and painting it again (hammerite smooth black) and its exactly the same as the pic you posted, i was gonna take some pics tomorrow but no need now :-)

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.