Any recommendations on a good rear axle shaft for a D44a? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Any recommendations on a good rear axle shaft for a D44a?

August special - FREE XJ Unibody stiffeners when you buy a~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!

Unread 07-08-2011, 02:50 PM   #1
DukeMalisto
1998 ZJ 

Any recommendations on a good rear axle shaft for a D44a?

I just got some news from the shop, saying the bearings are shot (I knew this) in the rear diff (a dana 44a) and he saw the right rear axle was worn where it meets the bearing on that side.

I looked up the parts, and his part quote matches both results found on RockAuto. Does anyone know where I might get a good used or new rear right axle for cheaper or at least confirm which part number will fit my Jeep?

From Rock Auto:
Quote:
DORMAN Part # 630302 More Information About this Part {#4856333} Length: 30-1/4"; Number of Holes: 5; Spline: 30
Includes Bearing, Seal, Studs and Lug Nuts; Rear Left; w/Dana 44 Axle $246.79
Quote:
DORMAN Part # 630305 More Information About this Part {#4856332} Length: 29-1/4"; Number of Holes: 5; Spline: 30
Includes Bearing, Seal, Studs and Lug Nuts; Rear Right; w/Dana 44 Axle $250.79
What I'm running into right now, is lots of dealers are selling for Dana 44, but don't specify Dana 44a.

A side question: What side gears would I need to get for my Diff? Apparently those are worn pretty badly causing a lot of wharbling noise in the rear end when I'm coasting, not so noisy when under torque. Problem is, I don't know much about a diff, don't have a way to work on one myself (apartment) and I've never heard it put as "Side gears" in all of my reading for diffs....

Thank you for your help in advance. I'm trying to save what I can, but fix what I must, before my honeymoon road trip next month

DukeMalisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Side gears= spider gears. It's what makes a differential differentiate.

Thats the going rate for new shafts. They never have been cheap.

I've still got an old spare set, but doubt you want to wait on cross country shipping.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 11:14 PM   #3
DukeMalisto
1998 ZJ 

What'll it cost? I don't have to get the axle shaft right this second and it'll only take me an hour to slide into place. Zip is 98136

Also, any idea what the length measurement is all about (why there are two lengths for the same jeep and axle)?
Unread 07-08-2011, 11:20 PM   #4
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Left and right side are different length.
Pm me if you want the shafts. we'll talk that way.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 05:15 AM   #5
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

You might as well get Yukon alloys instead.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 06:20 AM   #6
AlphaLorde
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
Not to totally highjack but.....

Are these the yukon alloy shafts part #s?

right:YA D74871-1X
http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=3380

left:YA D74871-2X
http://www.yukongear.com/ProductDeta...px?ProdID=3378

I would like to know cuz if my shafts are shot when I get my 44a torn apart next weekend, I would rather spend a little more to get a way better product.
Unread 07-09-2011, 11:41 AM   #7
CatSplat
Derp.

1994 ZJ 

Those look to be correct for a C-clip D44A, but I would call and ask just to make sure. As a bonus, the price on Randy's Ring and Pinion for that axle is $198 - cheaper than the OEM one from RockAuto. A no-brainer if you ask me.

Superior also makes their ZJ D44A shafts for $150 each, I'm not sure how they compare to the Yukons in strength. The Superior site lists their PA5225 as a replacement for the Yukon axles you listed above, indicating the Yukons are likely the right shaft for the ZJ.

http://www.superioraxlegear.com/pa52...d-p-14260.html
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:58 PM   #8
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technohead View Post
I was totally going to say that. I got Yukons and have been very happy with them. I have a d35 though...

Finished 4x2 --> 4x4 conversion.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 03:42 PM   #9
5.9 ANDY
zj tractor

1998 ZJ 

if you are going to have to regear your axle too... i highly recomend throwing in some 4;10 gears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shift_grind View Post
It's threads like this that make me wonder why people lift there jeeps
its comments like this that make me wonder why some people are jerks.

build thread:http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/...ndard-1056365/
5.9 ANDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 03:45 PM   #10
jforse
Web Wheeler

1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CatSplat View Post
Those look to be correct for a C-clip D44A, but I would call and ask just to make sure. As a bonus, the price on Randy's Ring and Pinion for that axle is $198 - cheaper than the OEM one from RockAuto. A no-brainer if you ask me.

Superior also makes their ZJ D44A shafts for $150 each, I'm not sure how they compare to the Yukons in strength. The Superior site lists their PA5225 as a replacement for the Yukon axles you listed above, indicating the Yukons are likely the right shaft for the ZJ.

http://www.superioraxlegear.com/pa52...d-p-14260.html
I would definitely go with the Superior shafts over the Yukons.
jforse is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 03:53 PM   #11
DukeMalisto
1998 ZJ 

Thanks guys, I'll check out Randy's Ring and Pinion on a new shaft for now. Don't need regearing or anything.

The spider gears however, I do not know for sure what part number to get as what I'm finding only lists for Dana 44, not specifying 44a or HD. I'm looking to get something cheaper than the shop quoted (250 for parts). I guess I'll check with Randy's on that, too.
Unread 07-11-2011, 03:56 PM   #12
DukeMalisto
1998 ZJ 

Wow, found the spider gears on superior axle's site, too. Favoriting that store, hah!

Thanks everyone for helping me out on this. I'll upgrade both rear axles to something stronger when I've some play money (that is, if the new wife lets me have any, haha)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.