Any play allowed with fan clutch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Any play allowed with fan clutch?

15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 08-26-2013, 06:04 PM   #1
Fookn4x4
1995 ZJ 

Any play allowed with fan clutch?

My '95 4.0 zj just had a water pump die. I am in the processes of replacing and while removing the fan, I noticed a very slight side to side wiggle of the fan clutch if I moved it (and I mean slight as in probably 1/16th of an inch). The clutch itself still has great resistance and will turn all the way around with regular force. Upon inspection of the water pump, I could see where the inside part that spins to pump water had started grinding on the internal pump housing. My question; Does this mean the wear on metal housing could have been caused by some sort of vibration due to the slight side-to-side movement of the fan clutch? Or was it caused by a faulty bearing? Can a clutch kill a water pump? I just don't want to have to drop $60 for a new fan clutch if pump failed because of a faulty bearing and I also don't want to have to replace a prematurely failed water pump due to a possible bad clutch. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help

Fookn4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:16 PM   #2
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Fan clutch should have no play. Replace.
Unread 08-26-2013, 06:26 PM   #3
Fookn4x4
1995 ZJ 

Ok thanks. Could this have caused the pump to fail prematurely then?
Fookn4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:11 PM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I just replaced my fan clutch also and after doing it now im seriously considering swapping it out for an electric one cause I lost 2-3 mpg's cause mine never kicked in.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.