Any play allowed with fan clutch? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Any play allowed with fan clutch?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Safety Thimble FairleadsEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-26-2013, 07:04 PM   #1
Fookn4x4
1995 ZJ 

Any play allowed with fan clutch?

My '95 4.0 zj just had a water pump die. I am in the processes of replacing and while removing the fan, I noticed a very slight side to side wiggle of the fan clutch if I moved it (and I mean slight as in probably 1/16th of an inch). The clutch itself still has great resistance and will turn all the way around with regular force. Upon inspection of the water pump, I could see where the inside part that spins to pump water had started grinding on the internal pump housing. My question; Does this mean the wear on metal housing could have been caused by some sort of vibration due to the slight side-to-side movement of the fan clutch? Or was it caused by a faulty bearing? Can a clutch kill a water pump? I just don't want to have to drop $60 for a new fan clutch if pump failed because of a faulty bearing and I also don't want to have to replace a prematurely failed water pump due to a possible bad clutch. What do you guys think? Thanks for the help

Fookn4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:16 PM   #2
wgirvine
1992 XJ Cherokee 

Fan clutch should have no play. Replace.
Unread 08-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #3
Fookn4x4
1995 ZJ 

Ok thanks. Could this have caused the pump to fail prematurely then?
Fookn4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-26-2013, 08:11 PM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

I just replaced my fan clutch also and after doing it now im seriously considering swapping it out for an electric one cause I lost 2-3 mpg's cause mine never kicked in.
xcaliber81 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.