Any guesses on what this goes to? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Any guesses on what this goes to?

The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!Building a Bumper?Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-05-2013, 12:27 PM   #1
96ZJNE
1996 ZJ 

Any guesses on what this goes to?

While hunting down issues from my other thread I can across a stray wire that wasn't connected to anything. It comes from under the cowling forward of the windshield, and was running down the top of my fender, tucked between the PDC and the battery. I assume its not that important, just want to know what it goes to. I cant find any female 2 pin connectors that look lonely.

photo-1-.jpg   photo-2-.jpg   photo-3-.jpg  
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:29 PM   #2
96ZJNE
1996 ZJ 

Holy crap, sorry about the huge pics and the rotation!
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:31 PM   #3
misfit77
1996 ZJ 

ABS sensor.
misfit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:32 PM   #4
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Do you have the vic? Could be for a sensor.
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:34 PM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

That's the plug for the under hood light and the whole light receptacle is missing. You can still see the plastic clip on the underside of the hood which holds that wire along w/the screw hole/larger hole the back of the light is recessed in. You can pick one up at the jy but I bought one at the dealer last year and it wasn't all that pricey.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:43 PM   #6
OldManTan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
That's the plug for the under hood light and the whole light receptacle is missing. You can still see the plastic clip on the underside of the hood which holds that wire along w/the screw hole/larger hole the back of the light is recessed in. You can pick one up at the jy but I bought one at the dealer last year and it wasn't all that pricey.
good call
OldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 12:44 PM   #7
Rich93ZJ
1993 ZJ 

Uniblurb nailed it
Rich93ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:09 PM   #8
ElkhornRanch
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Do you remember a ballpark price for that unit? I need a new one myself.
ElkhornRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:12 PM   #9
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Lol missed that
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Thanks, and I'm pretty darn familiar w/that plug since often unplug it every time I work on my 96 ZJ with the hood up/sun up so I don't wear my battery down.

BTW 96ZJNE, the OE part # for the whole under hood light receptacle/assembly is 05093195AA and it takes a 1003 lamp/bulb. It's an exact fit for a 1996 but I don't know if it will fit a 1969 ZJ? In other words you may want to flip the last 2 numbers in your profile.

Edit: Believe I paid about $22 for it but may end up being right around $25 total.

Unread 04-05-2013, 01:28 PM   #11
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

I took out my underhood light and wired in a normal power outlet like you have in your house. Then I took an old desk lamp, cut up the housing a bit, and mounted a halogen fog lamp on it. Then i wired the fog lamp to the the original lamp cord. i keep it under the back seat and just plug it in when I need it. MUCH brighter than the factory light and you can aim it right where you need it. The lamp i used had a clamp on it so you can clamp it pretty much anywhere too.
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:41 PM   #12
ElkhornRanch
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
I took out my underhood light and wired in a normal power outlet like you have in your house. Then I took an old desk lamp, cut up the housing a bit, and mounted a halogen fog lamp on it. Then i wired the fog lamp to the the original lamp cord. i keep it under the back seat and just plug it in when I need it. MUCH brighter than the factory light and you can aim it right where you need it. The lamp i used had a clamp on it so you can clamp it pretty much anywhere too.
Do you have a pic of that? Sounds pretty darn handy.
ElkhornRanch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 01:48 PM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Here's a photo of the underhood light w/packaging and the bulbs. Doesn't come with the sheet metal screw which goes through the shade/hood on the lamp itself. You'll just have to find one which is a little larger than the hole on the underside of the hood and use a small washer.
96-zj-underhood-light-oe-05093195aa-4-5-2013.jpg  

Unread 04-05-2013, 02:11 PM   #14
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
seems like a lot of work when a trouble light only costs a few bucks.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-05-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
96ZJNE
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Thanks, and I'm pretty darn familiar w/that plug since often unplug it every time I work on my 96 ZJ with the hood up/sun up so I don't wear my battery down.

BTW 96ZJNE, the OE part # for the whole under hood light receptacle/assembly is 05093195AA and it takes a 1003 lamp/bulb. It's an exact fit for a 1996 but I don't know if it will fit a 1969 ZJ? In other words you may want to flip the last 2 numbers in your profile.

Edit: Believe I paid about $22 for it but may end up being right around $25 total.
I have explained this before... I am a time traveler and went back to 1969 with instructions to build a ZJ. The production year is technically correct!

(edit) Fixed the year.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.