Any good write-ups for replacing the 5.2L intake manifold gasket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Any good write-ups for replacing the 5.2L intake manifold gasket?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 08-25-2014, 08:51 AM   #1
Haus_XJ
1997 ZJ 

Any good write-ups for replacing the 5.2L intake manifold gasket?

I have a vacuum leak and believe it is the intake manifold gasket.
I purchased the repair kit and now am looking for a good write-up on how to replace the gasket and associated hardware.

Has anyone seen a decent write-up on this?

Haus_XJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 08:55 AM   #2
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

Search for plenum gasket repair. Since you have to take the intake off, do that!! If not, you will sooner or later anyways. Clean the throttle body really good as well as sensors. Label wires or take pics before removal so you remember what goes where.
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:01 AM   #3
Haus_XJ
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by firsttimeZJ13 View Post
Search for plenum gasket repair. Since you have to take the intake off, do that!! If not, you will sooner or later anyways. Clean the throttle body really good as well as sensors. Label wires or take pics before removal so you remember what goes where.
Thanks! Yeah I definitely want to knock out anything else I can while I'm in there.
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:11 AM   #4
Haus_XJ
1997 ZJ 

Here is the kit I bought:

http://www.1aauto.com/intake-manifol...FUVo7AodqSkAkg

Not sure what the plenum gasket looks like, so maybe you can tell me whether or not this kit includes one?
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:17 AM   #5
Haus_XJ
1997 ZJ 

I think I found a little info, but no write-up:

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/z...itions-591821/
Unread 08-25-2014, 09:42 AM   #6
HighLonesome
Belief In All Things Jeep

1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haus_XJ View Post

Not sure what the plenum gasket looks like, so maybe you can tell me whether or not this kit includes one?
yes, looks to have everything you will need
HighLonesome is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2014, 11:16 AM   #7
firsttimeZJ13
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haus_XJ

It's the gasket to the right of the gaskets that go between the heads and intake. When you take the intake off, flip it over and you will be staring at a removable plate. That's where it goes and it's notorious for blowing out which causing backfiring, loss of oil and power. Once you take that plate off, if its got oil and crud built on it, it was bad! Clean everything VERY well and put back together! Short version, remove air hat, all electrical connectors, remove accessory bracket, disconnect fuel line and water hoses, take off intake, clean and reinstall everything. You'll need new antifreeze since you will have to drain system and there is a small bypass hose from the intake to the water pump. Go ahead and replace it as well. I'm sure there's more, I've had to take it off three times now... I get faster each time usually! Haha

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.