Any advice/help for this 19-year old? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Any advice/help for this 19-year old?

RIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Truc-Lite LED Headlights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955Jeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at Baselin

Unread 01-08-2013, 10:59 PM   #1
JFrohne

Any advice/help for this 19-year old?

First off, I was unsure exactly which forum to throw is on, so I dropped it right here. I apologize in advance for posting in the wrong area. New to the site.

Anyway, I've got a problem with my vehicle that I was hoping you educated people could help me with. I purchased a 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo 5.2L V8 back in September after I returned from Boot Camp. About a month or so later, I was driving down the road, the RPMs dropped to a flat zero, and the engine shut off. I had power to everything still, which baffled me. Anyway, turned the radio and everything off, threw it in park, and turned the key all the way back to the Off position. Then I turned the key and it started right up, and I was on my way. About two days later, it did the exact same thing. Except this time, it did it multiple times within the same day. I drove it like for a couple more days, then it got to the point where it died while I was turning onto a backroad on a hill, and I was in the oncoming lane. Scared me to death because a vehicle was coming right at me. Well, it started right back up. Made it to my friend's house, set overnight, then the next morning it would turn over, but would not start up. After calling around and my friend's mother looking online, did a complete oil change, cleaned out the throttle bodies, and replaced the Crankshaft Positioning Sensor and the Throttle Positioning Sensor. After a while it started right up, and ran just fine. Moved to Texas back in November, it started doing the same thing again. Stopped driving it for a week, then it ran just fine again. No problems. On my way of moving back to Tennessee, it done the same thing in Flatonia, TX, but would not start. A local helped me out and told me that all I had to do was disconnect the Positive Terminal, and that would reset the computer, and afterwards it started right up. Anyway, after stopping at a gas station, I went inside and when coming back out, I noticed a loud knocking sound coming from the left inside of the engine. Another local told me that it was one of the lifters, or a loose rocker arm. So, I drove back to TN without it dying, but the knocking made the Jeep shake and caused it to have a hard time accelerating. I made it back safely, then the next day it would start, then die while idling. The knocking sound has quietened down a lot, but when I start it up it sounds like a piston is hitting the top of the metal piece of the engine. We replaced a connector to the Throttle Sensor because we could jiggle the wires and it would die. We thought we fixed it, but after a couple minutes it would die while idling again. We are officially stumped, and do not know what else could be causing the problem. If you great people know anything about this, it would be a relief. I'm 19, technologically savvy, yet know hardly anything about working on vehicles. Thanks. Sorry for the novel, but I felt I needed to be detailed.

Additional details
-I had it put on a machine, and was told there was a problem with the Throttle Positioning Sensor, which I just replaced in early November, and that I had an Idle Control System Malfunction, which that is highly vague.
-I've been unable to get it to a mechanic because I just made it back to TN, am unemployed, and no reliable transportation.

JFrohne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:24 PM   #2
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

I would clean the idle air control valve and go from there. heres a thread on how to do it:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/h...-valve-756934/

the knocking you are describing almost sounds like a misfire, if it was shaking the whole jeep and not accelerating very well, it probably isnt hitting on all 8.
Unread 01-08-2013, 11:27 PM   #3
vonericsen
1995 ZJ 

This link may help you troubleshoot it better: 12 Things You Need To Do When Your ZJ Stalls

Moss Green 95 5.2l zj- 3in lift (2" BB + Upcountry coils), 255 75 R17 BFG M/T on JK Moabs, Durango Airhat, Mopar ECU, Mopar Tire Carrier
vonericsen is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 02:53 AM   #4
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Might be stupid but have you had the alternator checked ? The Jeep might be dying due to lack of power and running only on the battery... Most likely wrong, but never know lol..

Also have you checked your distributor and rotor ? When I replaced my rotor not too long ago the pins inside were so coroded and worn down that they were litterally hanging on by a thread.. You might be having missfire's because of bad, wires, plugs, or a rotor/distributor. Also what did you replace your sensors with ? What brands... These Jeeps absolutetly HATE off brand sensors, Bosch or otherwise.. I replaced my TPS on my 5.9 with three diff brands from auto parts stores.. They all caused the Jeep to not start, or start then idle at like 200 rpm and sputter and die.. I had to put my original one back in and it worked fine... You need Mopar sensors... They are expensive $100 or so.

Have you had the fuel pressure checked ? Get a gauge for like $20, hook it up to the fuel line turn the power on but dont start the Jeep and see what your fuel pressure is.. Then try to start the Jeep and see what the pressure is then.. I believe with power it needs to be at 25psi, turned on at 45psi or so i believe i cant remember exactly
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 01:52 PM   #5
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Candymancan View Post
Have you had the fuel pressure checked ? Get a gauge for like $20, hook it up to the fuel line turn the power on but dont start the Jeep and see what your fuel pressure is.. Then try to start the Jeep and see what the pressure is then.. I believe with power it needs to be at 25psi, turned on at 45psi or so i believe i cant remember exactly
Varies slightly by year, but 95-96 should be around 37-41psi at idle and not change much under load. What I did when diagnosing my bad fuel pump was tape the guage to the windshield and had a passenger to read it while I drove. Noticed the pressure was dropping to 8-10psi at full throttle so I knew it was the pump or a clogged filter.

Side note - What kind of fuel pressure guage are you gonna get for $20? Not one that I would buy.

The knocking noise could be a misfire as said. It took me a while to realize that the noise was backfiring, rather than a knock. It was more of a random "pow" noise under load, rather than a steady knock. Then again it's hard to diagnoise a noise over the internet.
Unread 01-09-2013, 07:24 PM   #6
um7267
1998 ZJ 

fuel filter, alternator, maf(do ours hove those? im used to other cars) spark plugs and wires, heck the air filter, if you were more north i would say possibly a motor mount is bad causing the knock, fuel injectors

all these could cause the problem you stated, i have had to deal with all of them at sometime or another with one of my cars, the starting system is the easiest to check; get a volt meter check the battery with the car off should read 12.58 at 32 degrees and 14.15-14.75 on depending on the rpm's you idling at

fuel filter, injectors are not as bad either get some stp motor treatment or seafoam, pour the entire bottle in the gas run it for 5 minutes, shut it off, wait 15 then run 15 see if that helps

spark plugs and wires, are easy just a pain either pull the spark plug out and look or if it still misfiring; with the jeep running unplug the spark wire one at a time but not the center wire(that's the main power wire) this will tell you if what cylinder is missing then go from there plugs and wires are about 35 to 45 depending on the brand

wow that was a lot to type
ha
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 08:45 PM   #7
Candymancan
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMatt View Post
Varies slightly by year, but 95-96 should be around 37-41psi at idle and not change much under load. What I did when diagnosing my bad fuel pump was tape the guage to the windshield and had a passenger to read it while I drove. Noticed the pressure was dropping to 8-10psi at full throttle so I knew it was the pump or a clogged filter.

Side note - What kind of fuel pressure guage are you gonna get for $20? Not one that I would buy.

The knocking noise could be a misfire as said. It took me a while to realize that the noise was backfiring, rather than a knock. It was more of a random "pow" noise under load, rather than a steady knock. Then again it's hard to diagnoise a noise over the internet.
I payed $25 at autozone.... works perfectly fine..
Candymancan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-09-2013, 09:15 PM   #8
ZJMatt
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by um7267 View Post
maf(do ours hove those? im used to other cars)
No - Jeeps have MAP sensors. Similar concept but they combine the vaccuum pressure with the intake air temp to determine how much oxygen is getting to the engine. There's a pipe off the intake pipe which goes up to a small box on the firewall, driver's side. That's the MAP sensor. Could be the problem though, just as a MAF on most other cars.
Unread 01-09-2013, 10:18 PM   #9
dylantheheeler
1996 ZJ 

Before you spend any more money or time on it, wiggle the PCM connections while the Jeep is running. Sounds like PCM to me, had the exact same problem. Wiggle the connectors firmly. If idle changes at all then you found the problem.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.