Anti-Theft system problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anti-Theft system problem

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 05-24-2010, 06:44 PM   #1
Oli
1994 ZJ 

Anti-Theft system problem

Hello everyone,
I just bought a 94 grand cherokee 5.2L as my fishing truck. I really like it so far, the motor is powerfull and it is in pretty good shape. The only problem so far is the anti-theft system. The previous owner forgot to tell me there was one (!). It works as follow : if I unlock the doors with the remote control, I can turn on the car without any problem. If I unlock the car with a key, and try to start the car, the dash lights turn on, but the starter doesnt even click, nothing happens.

Is there a way to start the car without this remote control?? I honestly dont know if this is an aftermarket anti-theft system. The brand on the remote is "autostart" and there is buttons for remote start, lock, unlock and trunk.

The previous owner only gave me one remote... What happens if the power cell is depleted? What happens if this flimsy control break? I wont be able to start the car? Is it standard to all zj jeep?

Thanks a lot for your help !
Oli

Oli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
JesseOR
1993 ZJ 

It sounds aftermarket. The earlier keyless entry only had lock/unlock, iirc. Everything SHOULD work regardless if it was unlocked with a key or remote.

How did he 'not tell you there was one,' if he had the remote?

www.facebook.com/jesse.whitehargrove
JesseOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:10 PM   #3
Oli
1994 ZJ 

Thanks JesseOR for your answer.

I guess this "little detail" didnt came to his mind... For my part, when I road tested the car and inspected it, I only unlocked the car once and it was with the remote. If the remote is used to unlock the car, the engine can be turned on/off as much as you want.

How hard is it to disengage this stupid feature?

Thanks again !
Unread 05-24-2010, 08:16 PM   #4
stormer1092
1994 ZJ 

i have to unlock my door from the passenger side or my alarm goes off. lol i need help too
stormer1092 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2010, 12:25 PM   #5
Oli
1994 ZJ 

I just found that this is kind of standard on some anti-theft/remote start controls. This is called "starter kill"... it consist of a 12v relay that switch on/off the starter wire (going from the key entry to the starter). This relay is operated by the anti-theft system who switch on the starter wire when the doors are unlocked with the remote...

I will then replug the starter wire together and see what happens.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.