Anti-Lock Brakes - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Anti-Lock Brakes

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 12-17-2008, 08:55 PM   #1
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

Anti-Lock Brakes

okay so winter is approaching and there is something that is bothering me. Ive had my Jeep for about a year or so now, and the anti-lock brakes have never gone off on me yet.(yes i know that is possible) But how can i tell if they are bad or not? or better yet is there a way i can put them to the test so i can tell if they are broken or not? If they are broken, then that would not be good once the snow and ice hits
thanks you guys

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxa3-LJhz-Y
steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:15 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

If your abs light comes on when you turn on the key, then goes out after about 10 secs, their probably okay. One way to test is to get on a gravel road or some ice (make sure the coast is clear and nothing in the cab will fly) and lock them down. You should feel it working. If your wheels lock, something is wrong. The Teves system is normally reliable unless the light stays on.
ZeeJay1997 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:19 PM   #3
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Get on a quiet straight road, go about 40mph. Now hit the brakes as hard as you possibly can. Do not let up on the brake pedal unless you start to skid. If the abs is working, you will feel and hear a pulsing sound coming from the brakes and there will be no skidding. They may lock up around 10 or so mph. If you just go into a skid then they are not working.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:31 PM   #4
steve L.
1997 ZJ 

hmm alright. thanks. the abs light is not light up on my dash. I will give them a shot sometime tomorrow maybe.
I was just thinking maybe i havent ever come in a situation to where i never needed them to go off. and if im correct some anti-lock brakes are more sensitive than others. so maybe i dont have a sensitive one.

A Little Taste of Jersey Wheelin Of A 1997 & 1998 Jeep Grand Cherokee's For Your Enjoyment.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxa3-LJhz-Y
steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2008, 09:41 PM   #5
JFM626
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Anti-lock brakes should only be sensitive to the friction between the tyre and the road surface Once a sensor near the wheel senses lock up it passes the message on to the abs module which then releases the hydraulic pressure to the wheel in question. This release and subsequent reapplication (by your foot) can happen many times a second. Thus the pulsing sound and sensation.
JFM626 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.