Antenna motor removal pain - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Antenna motor removal pain

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-01-2013, 07:31 PM   #1
a70eliminator

Antenna motor removal pain

My antenna is broken and a piece of the broken zipper is still inside the spool, I have a replacement mast but having trouble getting to the motor to remove the broken piece inside. So far I have the inner fender pulled away far enough to have allowed me to remove the antenna motor mounts and it's just hanging there by the wires and cable with not enough slack to give me enough access, I went and pulled the dash pad thinking i could find a place to unplug it but still no access, so i pull the lower dash glove box section and still no access WTF am i going to have to pull the darn front fender off to gain access? What a pain in the butt.

a70eliminator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-01-2013, 11:19 PM   #2
shaban
1996 ZJ 

Done that a week ago. Royal PITA if you ask me.

First unscrew the antenna nut on your antenna.

Then you'd need to unplug you antenna motor plug going into the distribution box -
blue plug, behind the passengers kick panel I think.
It's damn tight in there, a little screwdriver actially helps disengage the latch which is on the bottom side of a plug.
Also disconnect the coaxial going to antenna - it's somewhere above the dist box under the dash, pretty tight too.
A pair of pliers does help.

Having done all that, you'd need to pull out the rubber plug in the side panel holding the cables. It's two piece - shell with motor wires and center plug with coaxial. You need to push out the center plug from inside, and then the outer rubber shell comes out easier. I learnt it the hard way trying to push the whole thing out.

Can take some photos of plugs taken out later if it helps
shaban is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
KoreaZJ
1994 ZJ 

Mine has been broken off for a few years... bought replacement mast. It was supposed to be an easy repair until I discovered the plastic zipper was broken off too short to remove from the top.
KoreaZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.