Another Stalling Jeep (running out of ideas) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another Stalling Jeep (running out of ideas)

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-18-2014, 04:02 PM   #1
Seggr

Another Stalling Jeep (running out of ideas)

Hello,

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 1998 and it is stalling.

At the beginning of the of the day it will start only to die anywhere from 5-15 minutes later, whether or not it will let me start it again is a tossup but if it does it dies within 5 minutes.

Presently it has not left the side of street next to my house but I have replaced the fuel pump, Crankshaft position Sensor, Throttle position sensor, distributor cap, Rotor, Cables, Spark plugs, and Ignition Coil.

The ECU was replaced 2 years ago?

I've run out of ideas what might be causing it to stall, if you need any more information please let me know but I would greatly appreciate any help at this point.

Seggr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2014, 04:52 PM   #2
Seggr

Well as an experiment once I got the jeep to the point of refusing to start, I disconnected the battery and then reconnected it and attempted to start it and it worked, wouldn't stay on for forever but would start.

I'm guessing this means that it is the ECU as the lack of power would cause it to reset.
Unread 09-18-2014, 05:12 PM   #3
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

get it running and disconnect the cam sensor while it is running. if it keeps running replace the cam sensor

if that doesnt work, disconnect the o2 sensor and see if it will stay running. if it does replace o2 sensors. you can do this one sensor at a time or both at once.

then click on the green link for more ideas.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2014, 05:47 PM   #4
Seggr

Thank you for taking the time to comment. I feel slightly stupid because I remember reading somewhere that the camshaft position sensor could be the cause. I pulled the sensor and it did indeed keep running, now I just need to find a store that sells the part.
Unread 09-18-2014, 06:11 PM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

you're welcome. dont feel stupid. happens all the time. these thing are quirky. i would go with a mopar part on this one.
Unread 09-18-2014, 08:03 PM   #6
Seggr

I replaced the cam sensor and let it run for a solid ten minutes before I went out to shut the hood and instantly it was off again. once I got it started again it died shortly there after.
Unread 09-18-2014, 08:18 PM   #7
Seggr

So I just crawled under and pulled the Oxygen sensor 1/2 the one farthest down the exhaust and it didn't stall.

I feel it really strange for all of these things to have failed at once.
Unread 09-18-2014, 09:03 PM   #8
mikem350
1994 ZJ 

Just got done fixing my 98 w/intermittent ECU!!! To troubleshoot, with it idling, wiggle the connectors on the ecu.
Then hope you are good at soldering...lol

Assuming you checked for codes already
mikem350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:08 AM   #9
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

All those things havent failed at once. you'll need to drive it for a while with the sensor disconnected before you break out the champagne.
Unread 09-19-2014, 08:14 AM   #10
Seggr

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikem350 View Post
Just got done fixing my 98 w/intermittent ECU!!! To troubleshoot, with it idling, wiggle the connectors on the ecu.
I have attempted to cause it to die by wiggling the wiring harness, thankfully that did not cause it to die.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZeeJay1997 View Post
All those things havent failed at once. you'll need to drive it for a while with the sensor disconnected before you break out the champagne.
I'm not sure I follow, the idea is that when you disconnect the sensor while running it should die rather promptly yeah? otherwise how would I identify that causing the jeep to die rather than it just dying like it has been?
Unread 09-19-2014, 10:51 AM   #11
RedHotZeeJay
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seggr View Post
Hello,

I have a Jeep Grand Cherokee 1998 and it is stalling.

At the beginning of the of the day it will start only to die anywhere from 5-15 minutes later, whether or not it will let me start it again is a tossup but if it does it dies within 5 minutes.

Presently it has not left the side of street next to my house but I have replaced the fuel pump, Crankshaft position Sensor, Throttle position sensor, distributor cap, Rotor, Cables, Spark plugs, and Ignition Coil.

Did you replace the Crankshaft Position Sensor with a Mopar one? I replaced the Crank Sensor on my '98 4.0 with a BWD part from Advance Auto about 2 years ago, and it was bad out of the box. It would start and run fine until it got good and warm, then it would randomly stall out and wouldn't let me start it back up until I let it cool off for a solid 30-45 minutes. It would run fine until it got good and warm again, then do the same thing until I replaced it with a Mopar sensor. Haven't had a problem with it since. The Crank Sensor on these Chrysler vehicles is not something I'd want to replace over and over again.
RedHotZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-19-2014, 11:20 AM   #12
Seggr

I did replace it with a BWD part, I'm bit hesitant to assume that the replacement part is bad but I won't rule it out.
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:10 PM   #13
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seggr View Post
the idea is that when you disconnect the sensor while running it should die rather promptly yeah?
no. if a bad cam sensor is causing a stalling problem, then you disconnect it, the pcm reverts to default fuel timing and eliminates any problem the cam sensor could be causing. it will not crank without the cam sensor.

if a bad o2 sensor is causing a stalling problem, then you disconnect it, the pcm reverts to the default fuel mixture and eliminates any problem the o2 sensor may be causing. it will crank and run without the o2 sensor(s).

you need to run it for a while with the sensor disconnected to discern whether or not the problem is really gone.

hope this clears it up for you.
Unread 09-19-2014, 04:45 PM   #14
Seggr

if Jeep is Stalling
Start Jeep
Disconnect suspect sensor
if Jeep stops stalling then
Replace Sensor
else
reconnect sensor
move on to next suspect sensor
Unread 09-19-2014, 05:14 PM   #15
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

disconnect o2 sensors while it is not running and cool else you get sauteed fingers

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.