Another shuttering, stalling Jeep. Lol - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another shuttering, stalling Jeep. Lol

Steinjager TJ tube doorsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-07-2014, 04:23 PM   #1
Jcalloway
1997 ZJ 

Another shuttering, stalling Jeep. Lol

Ok, so I got some help in another thread, but to keep from hijacking someone else's thread, let's start a new one. Ok, I'll start from the beginning. Bought this jeep. 97 ZJ Jeep Grand Cherokee with 5.2. When I first got it, it was stud seeing a little at idle. Two days after driving it, it started. Between 1300 - 1700 rpm's it would start shaking very bad. I guess this would be shuttering. Took it to the parts store and got the codes. Misfire on 3, misfire on 7, random misfire, o2 sensor upstream.

So I started with plugs and wires, changed them, unhooked the battery, and let it set for a bit. Hooked the battery back up and sent for a spin. Ran like a top. No problems whatsoever. About 5 miles, it started stalling or shuttering. This was a different feeling than the shaking before. This is like letting your foot off the gas, and putting it back on very quickly. The car would not respond this quickly to your foot if you tried. Just trying to describe it the best I can.

The next morning, I got up for work and decided I would take it to work. It's only about 7 miles and the roads were icy. So I cranked it up, backed out of my driveway and when I came to a stop to put it in gear, it died. I Cranked it back up, and drove it to work. Somewhere between home and work, the check engine light came back on. That night I went out there to crank it to leave from work, and it took me forever to get it cranked. Lots of revving, to keep it from dying. I finally got it stable enough to be able to leave work. On the way home it was stalling very bad and jumping. I stepped on the gas and tried to rev through it, and it almost died on me. I went straight to the parts store, and got them to pull the code. Misfire on 7.

After getting home I parked it for the night. Today, I drove my car to work so I wouldn't have to deal with that. Upon my research and remembering that the first codes I had pulled said something about the o2 sensor, I figured I would do a test that I saw in another post. I unplugged both of my 02 sensors. Cranked it up, backed out, and it died. Took me forever to get it cranked back up. I started mashing the gas and the engine finally cranked back up. After a few minutes of revving, I finally got it to stay cranked. I drove it down the road, and it ran pretty well. It had one little hick up going up a hill at about 25 mph, it started shaking, I gave it gas, and it about died. But it really ran very well expectorant that one thing.

So I think I have multiple problems, but that's just what I think. It defiantly runs better with the 02 sensors unplugged. Are they ok to leave unplugged? What else do you think I need to look at and test I can do. Thanks.

Jcalloway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2014, 10:06 PM   #2
Jcalloway
1997 ZJ 

No one?
Unread 01-08-2014, 01:09 AM   #3
JasonStebbins
Obv

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcalloway View Post
No one?
Did you use a Mopar/NGK upstream sensor or parts store brand?

Driving without the upstream plugged in will cause it to dump a lot of extra fuel, eventually can clog the converter.

12 things to do when your ZJ stalls by ZeeJay1997
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-08-2014, 11:41 AM   #4
Jcalloway
1997 ZJ 

Didn't change the sensor. Just unplugged it.
Unread 01-08-2014, 05:55 PM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

it sounds a little like a plugged exhaust or a fuel delivery problem. ice in fuel? it's been cold here... and everywhere else...

having a misfire dtc on one cylinder usually does not result in the symptoms you describe.

no, you dont need to drive around with you o2 sensors disconnected.

check out the link in my sig for more info.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-09-2014, 05:49 PM   #6
Jcalloway
1997 ZJ 

Well guess what. This afternoon I was cleaning up my work bench from doing my tuneup. I just so happened to pick up my spark plug socket, and something caught my eye. In the socket I could see some white. I knocked it out from the other side and it was the top of a spark plug. The ceramic part. I couldn't believe it. I quickly went to the jeep. Pulled the last wire I changed and say it. I changed out the plug and took it for a drive. Runs like a top with no CEL.
Unread 01-09-2014, 06:25 PM   #7
JasonStebbins
Obv

1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcalloway View Post
Well guess what. This afternoon I was cleaning up my work bench from doing my tuneup. I just so happened to pick up my spark plug socket, and something caught my eye. In the socket I could see some white. I knocked it out from the other side and it was the top of a spark plug. The ceramic part. I couldn't believe it. I quickly went to the jeep. Pulled the last wire I changed and say it. I changed out the plug and took it for a drive. Runs like a top with no CEL.
ZeeJay will have to add that to the dirty dozen. :laughing: How did you put the plug wire on without noticing that!

12 things to do when your ZJ stalls by ZeeJay1997
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/1...talls-1407423/
JasonStebbins is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 05:52 AM   #8
Jcalloway
1997 ZJ 

I honestly don't know. I'm not new at changing spark plugs of wires for that matter. And if it wasn't the last one, I would have found it when I tried to install the next spark plug, but it was the last one I did. What I don't understand is why it didn't run like crap when I first cranked it up? Somehow it had to be getting lower for those first couple 5 miles. I just wanted to post that, because just because you think you already changed something, doesn't mean it couldn't still be the problem. Thanks for the help.
Unread 01-10-2014, 06:47 AM   #9
steve_up
1997 ZJ 

Glad you found the problem. Let us know how it's running in a few days.
steve_up is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 04:40 PM   #10
Jcalloway
1997 ZJ 

Will do
Unread 01-15-2014, 08:35 AM   #11
Jcalloway
1997 ZJ 

Still running great. Actually might be running even better the. When I first changed them.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.