Another Overheating Thread! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another Overheating Thread!

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 08-26-2008, 07:20 PM   #1
NewJeepFever
2000 WJ 

Another Overheating Thread!

Ok guys and gals,
I have had my 00 WJ for about 2 months now, and let me just say I love it. I did my research before I bought, and I knew there were little things that bugged the WJ, but a stable engine/drivetrain drew me into this vehicle, as the little stuff I can fix myself, and most of the time enjoy doing it.

Well today after lunch, as I headed back to work, I stopped at the bank, and at a gas station less than a mile from work to let a co-worker go inside. The Jeep was at idle with the AC on. After pulling out of the gas station, I look down and my temp is at 230-245, and as I was a hop-skip-jump from work, she didn't really have time to cool back down to 210.

Well, I get online, and I was almost positive it was the fan relay, as they seem to plague the WJs, but after work, she drove great and never got but a hair above 210, I even let it idle with the ac on full blast for a longer period than I did at lunch, and nothing. I haven't had a chance to check the coolant, but I have no leaks.

Also, the fan is coming on, so if the relay was bad, it wouldn't just work sometimes would it?

I do plan on flushing the coolant, changing the thermostat, and replacing the relay eventually, but I would like to fix the root cause right now, and the others a little later, but that is if the problem arises once again, but I see no reason for the temp to just do that at random, seems to me it almost has to be the fan.

It also wasn't that hot today, never got abobe 90.

Any ideas?

PS: On a side note, it looks as though some models were equipped with an electronic and manual fan. Can I add a manual fan to mine to have both, or would the ford efan upgrade just be best if I went that route?

Thanks guys!

NewJeepFever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 07:26 PM   #2
madrabbitt

quick way to check the t-stat is to feel the thick upper hose. If it burns the crap out of your hand, then likely, the thermostat is working correctly.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
madrabbitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 07:31 PM   #3
NewJeepFever
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by madrabbitt View Post
quick way to check the t-stat is to feel the thick upper hose. If it burns the crap out of your hand, then likely, the thermostat is working correctly.
Thanks, I will give that a try. Will have to be tomorrow, as my girlfriend has the Jeep tonight, as she is going to have the rear quarter panel window seal replaced, as it is leaking BAD, but she knows where the temp should and shouldn't be, I was aware of that, and she knows what to do if it gets to high.

I lost an I6 in a 1995 F150 from the engine getting extremely too hot, so I try and watch the temp very carefully now.

Can Thermostats stick? Giving me problems only on occasion, and probably eventually giving up alltogethor?
Unread 08-26-2008, 08:40 PM   #4
madrabbitt

yes, especially these wax pellet types of themostats.

"When you see someone who needs help, help them. When you see someone who needs a hug, hug them... Help those who can't help themselves." -Sgt Andrew Tingwall, NMSP. End of watch 6-10-2009
Unread 08-26-2008, 09:14 PM   #5
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

my fan was coming on but not enough speed to move air. Would overheat in traffic. Replaced fan and problem resolved. When the fan comes on, put your hand behind it and feel if it is pumping hot air towards the engine

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2008, 09:20 PM   #6
madrabbitt

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00RedWJ View Post
my fan was coming on but not enough speed to move air. Would overheat in traffic. Replaced fan and problem resolved. When the fan comes on, put your hand behind it and feel if it is pumping hot air towards the engine

thats exactly what mine is doing now....

so replacing the fan solved your problem?

maybe the dude in my thread is onto something.

i may ask a mod to merge this thread with mine.

Unread 08-27-2008, 05:08 AM   #7
NewJeepFever
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00RedWJ View Post
Yes, the fan seems to be moving plenty fast enough.
Unread 08-27-2008, 06:10 AM   #8
Double E
2000 Laredo V8

2000 WJ 

NJF,

What engine, what mileage?
Changes & fixes: Rear Addco sway bar & greasble bushings, upgraded headlights, upgraded tail lights, new hood struts (replaced 2X), new rear hatchglass struts, new radiator (replaced 3X), new oil pressure sending unit (replaced 4X), 2 new speed sensors, 2 new door lock actuators, new ignition key cylinder, chrome front tow hooks, Mobil 1 Synthetic 5/30, Purolator Pure One oil filter, EBC slotted & dimpled rotors, EBC Greenstuff pads, new front shocks (replaced 3X), new rear shocks (replaced 2X), new IRO steering stabilizer, new timing chain cover, new water pump, thermostat, new thermostat housing, new high pressure power steering hose, Michelin-X radials, new sunroof assembly, new single-piece lug nuts, new exhaust manifold studs & gasket on driver's side, new Durango alternator. Jeepforum.com sticker, Visit cobaltboatsforum.com when you can!
Double E is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2008, 07:37 AM   #9
NewJeepFever
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double E View Post
NJF,

What engine, what mileage?
Sorry, its a 4.0 with about 105,000 miles.
Unread 08-27-2008, 12:51 PM   #10
00RedWJ
2006 WK 

yep. replacing the fan solved my problem. First I replaced the relay. I think that the failing fan motor is what burned out my relay. As soon as the mechanic replaced the fan motor after overheating in traffic on the Varazano Bridge in Staten Island, we waited for it to kick on and it blew very hard moving lots of air. The old motor was just barely spinning. That was a year ago. No problems since

2006 Black Grand Cherokee Laredo WK
3.7 with 65,000 Miles
00RedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
NewJeepFever
2000 WJ 

Well, I bought the Thermostat yesterday, but didn't have time to put it in, but while running normal, the upper hose is hot and the fan is on. And the coolant is good, and she hasn't tried to run hot since then. Any ideas? If time permits, I will be replacing the Thermostat today. I just ended up buying the thermostat, but should I replace the Thermostat housing also?
Unread 08-28-2008, 07:46 AM   #12
slowpokedotcom

my 00 wj has both an electric and clutch fan, same prob would overheat occasionally, fan clutch was bad. i could reach down and just stop it with my hand...not usually a good idea but a good way if you know that its bad , couldn't stop the new one....lol and now it doesn't over heat, doc says my fingers will be fine.......
slowpokedotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:52 AM   #13
NewJeepFever
2000 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpokedotcom View Post
my 00 wj has both an electric and clutch fan, same prob would overheat occasionally, fan clutch was bad. i could reach down and just stop it with my hand...not usually a good idea but a good way if you know that its bad , couldn't stop the new one....lol and now it doesn't over heat, doc says my fingers will be fine.......
I just have an electric fan. What size engine do you have?
Unread 08-28-2008, 08:24 PM   #14
slowpokedotcom

4.0 in both of my jeeps dude.....i just love my 4.ohhh's
slowpokedotcom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2008, 05:14 AM   #15
glenn27
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowpokedotcom View Post
My 2000 has two fans also. One fan clutch (mechanical) on the front of the engine--and a plastic electric fan mounted right to the back of the radiator.The electric fan on mine (4.7 V-8) only comes only w/ A/C--no matter what temperature. I can't seem to find out what the "normal operating temp" is supposed to be..I've talked to mechanic's, other folks that have the same kind of Jeep--even the Haynes repair manual doesn't really say...

I started another thread about two weeks ago here about the same problem--let me read on......Maybe a mod can merge all w/ this topic into one...
glenn27 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.