JeepForum.com

JeepForum.com (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/)
-   ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/)
-   -   Another MPG Thread (http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/another-mpg-thread-206470/)

ericheineman01 11-01-2005 11:29 AM

Another MPG Thread

Hey, i have a 94' ZJ V-8 and the built in computer says I only get 10-11 MPG in the city. :( Does anyone know how accurate the computers are or am i just getting terrible gas milage. I don't drive fast, i warm up my car in the morning, I recently filled all my fluids and inflated all the tires. But it didnt seem to raise the MPG at all. :brickwall BTW i have no lift and have stock sized tires. Does anyone have any tips for better MPG i would love to try anything. :confused:

ArloGuthroJeep 11-01-2005 11:37 AM

Manually calculate it. Next time you fill up reset your tripometer and the time after that calculage your MPG:thumbsup: In my old Durango with the 5.2L V8 it only got 11mpg in the city...Warming up your Jeep in the morning lowers you gas mileage...going 0 miles while using gas...0/5 minutes of gas = 0mpg;) Not saying that warming up is bad, just don't expect it to improve your gas mileage because of that whole not moving thing.

-Ryan

Woody 11-01-2005 12:03 PM

Unless your vehicle runs like crap in the morning, start up and within ten seconds of starting move out. No reason to let it warm up unless you are putting little children who are not properly dressed in there. Unless you are from Minnesota and your oil has just about turned into a solid during the night.

JeepingOverYou 11-01-2005 12:32 PM

gah my computer thing read 16.3 but when i calculate it, its only at 14.2 :brickwall

Woody 11-01-2005 12:39 PM

I've been hard on it lately and the reading is about 15, and when I calculate, it's the same! This is all in city driving.

greasefingers 11-01-2005 01:18 PM

Only you can answer the question on how accurate the computer is. I can imagine that some are more accurate than others. Do the math yourself. The important thing would be to Reset it each time you refill, otherwise it may be a cumulative average. I do not have one to play with :(

Woody 11-01-2005 01:35 PM

Grease,
Interesting that your ZJ has the UPGRADED T-case, yet doesn't have the overhead display? I think my ZJ has just about every option except the NP249, V8, upcountry, and leather. I love it, but am wondering how much longer I have before little things start popping up.

SickLife 11-01-2005 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airmanwoody
Unless your vehicle runs like crap in the morning, start up and within ten seconds of starting move out. No reason to let it warm up unless you are putting little children who are not properly dressed in there. Unless you are from Minnesota and your oil has just about turned into a solid during the night.

i let it warm up for 10 mins because my commute is less than a mile. & i've had problems with the battery not getting charged from the small commute.

3labs 11-01-2005 02:25 PM

>>>When is the last time you replaced the "plug wires" & plugs...how clean is the filter ! (They are very restrictive...) You may want to try a FIPK unit ...see K&N...on my old Overland, I was getting around 17 + because of the FIPK...

dequity 11-01-2005 03:42 PM

I just sold my 93 Limited. And the best in town mileage I could get was 13.2 mpg. (Wife driving) Highway was like 15-17.

Just bought a 98 Grand Limited 5.9. I was thinking Oh great... get ready to buy a LOT of fuel... So far I've been wrong. Mix of in town and light highway yeilds me 18.3 MPG! :D I go just as fast but don't have to use my right foot anywhere near as much.

Woody 11-01-2005 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SickLife
i let it warm up for 10 mins because my commute is less than a mile. & i've had problems with the battery not getting charged from the small commute.

My commute is also less than 1 mile. I have no battery charging issues. If your battery dies once in awhile, you have a bad battery or alternator.

greasefingers 11-01-2005 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airmanwoody
Grease,
Interesting that your ZJ has the UPGRADED T-case, yet doesn't have the overhead display? I think my ZJ has just about every option except the NP249, V8, upcountry, and leather. I love it, but am wondering how much longer I have before little things start popping up.

No I bought the Laredo package for 2,236 extra, then the quadratrak cost me 444, and finally they nailed me for 890 bucks for the 4-speed auto tranny. No leather or over-head consol. The sticker price was $ 25,489 back in 1994. I do not remember what I actually paid, however.

My first new vehicle was a 2-door 5-speed Cherokee. The sticker for that was $ 15,900 in 1988. Back then it did not come standard with carpeting. It was considered a Utility vehicle. It also had a 15.3 gallon fuel tank. I had to pay extra for the 20 gallon one.

Woody 11-01-2005 08:02 PM

Wow, most of the guys here couldn't even drive legally back then.

greasefingers 11-01-2005 08:03 PM

And your point is?????

Woody 11-01-2005 08:09 PM

:rolleyes:

The time now is 01:43 AM.