Another malfunctioning ZJ instrument cluster! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another malfunctioning ZJ instrument cluster!

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 04-06-2009, 07:14 PM   #1
falco84
1997 ZJ 

Another malfunctioning ZJ instrument cluster!

A while ago all the gauges, the digital odometer and most indicator lamps in the instrument cluster started behaving erratically, constantly resetting. 2 months later and I still haven’t found a fix for this problem. Sometimes the gauges are resetting every 2 seconds, sometimes they work flawlessly, but 70% of the time they are just plain dead.

This sounds like a typical instrument cluster problem that’s frequently brought up in the forum, but the solutions mentioned in the posts like cleaning the cluster pins and twisting them to improve the connection have done nothing for me.

I’ve checked the voltage in the cluster harness as well as continuity to ground in the two ground circuit cavities and I am getting good readings throughout even when the gauges are dead. Also, I am able to bring up a ‘1.1’ on the odometer lcd by holding down the reset switch anytime the display quits on me, so that tells me it’s not a power issue.

Also, the lcd in the overhead console and the radio display go dim when the gauges fail and I have my headlights on, and very rarely they lose power completely for a second along with the gauges. Not sure if this is part of the same problem, but my DRLs also stopped turning on most of the time!

Any help with this issue will be appreciated…………

Last edited by falco84; 05-19-2009 at 06:16 PM..
falco84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2009, 05:06 PM   #2
falco84
1997 ZJ 

This might be a moisture related issue - water getting somewhere it shouldn't be and short circuiting electronics. I've noticed that after I come back from the trails, the gauges are completely dead for several days.
Unread 05-19-2009, 06:20 PM   #3
falco84
1997 ZJ 

UPDATE:

Don't remember the last time I saw my instrument cluster working. Today I purchased a replacement cluster from another zj at the advice of a mechanic, but that didn't help
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:31 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Everything in the interior grounds under the drivers seat between the front mount bolts under the carpet in the middle of the hump in the floorboard. Poke around there and see if you see anything going on with the instruments. Continuity is to ground is good, but the ability to carry current load is a different animal.

Do you have a diagram?
If not PM me your email and I'll send you one.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2009, 07:33 PM   #5
falco84
1997 ZJ 

Thanks, I'll try that. I have the FSM.
Unread 09-16-2009, 07:25 PM   #6
falco84
1997 ZJ 

IT'S FIXED!!!

Here's the closure to my problem and a heads up to anyone who may find themselves dealing with the same issue in the future.

After months of driving without gauges, I gave up trying to think that I could find a fix for this myself. I took the jeep in to a shop this week and after about 5 hours, the mechanic was able to trace the problem to an open feed wire to the BCM. He ended up cutting out the bad section and splicing a new wire in its place.

Glad to have my baby back in working order!
Unread 09-25-2009, 09:59 AM   #7
94 greenmachine

How much was the cost?
94 greenmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2009, 05:01 PM   #8
falco84
1997 ZJ 

5 hours of labour @ $80 + tax

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.