Another Frustrated Jeeper - DW - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another Frustrated Jeeper - DW

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 08-23-2012, 09:50 PM   #1
plafranx
1995 ZJ 

Another Frustrated Jeeper - DW

I hate to put out ANOTHER death wobble thread, but in my research I've come up empty handed. Here's a little back ground: After the 3.5 IRO lift and front adj. tracbar was installed on my 95 I6, everything was peachy. After about eight weeks, I installed an adj. rear tracbar, and there came a 'floating' sensation, that made it feel like the body was separate from the axles. I replaced the ball joints and all became well. After three months of rolling strong, I experienced DW for the first time... on stock tires. I only got it whenever I hit a bump at 35 mph or greater. I got an alignment, problem went away for a day. Upon its return the next day, I replaced the TRE's, checked the ball joints and all of the front end bushings, and installed a new OME ss (I realize it doesn't do much, but I did it for kicks and giggles). I got an alignment today after replacing my TRE's, and the 'floating' sensation is back, as well as more severe DW that comes up just from reaching a speed of 40 mph or higher. Are my ball joints bad after just a couple of months? I've checked the torque on the tracbars, ball joints, TRE's, and ss.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks in advance.

Unread 08-23-2012, 11:36 PM   #2
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

When you replaced your ball joints and tre's, what brand did you go with? And you said you checked your control arm bushings? What front track bar did you go with?
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 10:03 AM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

Let's start with the basics.
How worn are the tires?
Ball joint brand?
Dry steering test?
Before and after alignment numbers?

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 11:47 AM   #4
plafranx
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
When you replaced your ball joints and tre's, what brand did you go with? And you said you checked your control arm bushings? What front track bar did you go with?
I have the IRO heavy duty adjustable trackbar with bracket up front, and the IRO heavy duty double shear adjustable trackbar in the rear. The TRE's are NAPA chassis brand, and the ball joints are Duralast, I beleive; although, it's been a while so I'm not 100% on that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
Let's start with the basics.
How worn are the tires?
Ball joint brand?
Dry steering test?
Before and after alignment numbers?
Forgive my adolescence, I'm still relatively new to this, but I don't know what a dry steering test would be. The tires are easily still at 60%, they're 30" Wildcat A/T's.

Camber:

Front Right: Actual -0.1 Before -0.1
Front Left: Actual -0.5 Before -0.5

Toe:

Right: Actual 0.03 Before -0.81
Left: Actual 0.05 Before 2.85

Front:

Total Toe Actual 0.08
Cross Camber Actual -0.4
Unread 08-24-2012, 03:31 PM   #5
71maverick
1995 ZJ 

try rotating your tires see if it makes a difference mine had a seperated belt in the right front tire and rotating the tires solved the problem had to buy a couple tires ( scared the s*** out of the wife when it happened with her in the ZJ). Hope this helps
71maverick is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 09:38 PM   #6
sskilla
1995 ZJ 

the floating sensation you had sounds similar to something i had when i first put my adj track bar on. it turned out that the nut on the track bar that you tighten to keep it from rotating wasnt really F'n tight
'95 ZJ: 5.2 v8 / 249 > 242 > 231 Tcase swap / 46RH / 3.5" IRO + 1.5" pucks / IRO Adj Front Lower CA's / IRO Double Shear Adj Track Bar / 33" BFG KM2's / JKS Quicker Disco's / IRO rear end links / Kegger Mod / Super 44 Flowmaster / Novak Cable Shifter / Kevins Radiator Support / JKS Bar pin eliminators / Yukon Chromoly Rear Axles / IRO SS Brake Lines / Stillen cross-drilled rotors / Flowcooler water pump

It's got guts. Jeep guts. Jeep, the toughest four letter word on wheels. F@#% Yeah.

R.I.P. 2000 TJ
R.I.P. '95 YJ

sskilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #7
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

you didnt say anything about the sway bar links are they still hooked up also the tack bar not correctly adjusted could also be the problem but the best thing i did was change out the control arms never had a problem after that the stock ones are really weak and the bushings may look ok but the stock arms flex really bad imy zj is lifted 5.5 inches and i have no problems at all i drive mine daily
img_20120422_122332.jpg  
Wrenchtwister13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
plafranx
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sskilla View Post
the floating sensation you had sounds similar to something i had when i first put my adj track bar on. it turned out that the nut on the track bar that you tighten to keep it from rotating wasnt really F'n tight
Thanks for the tip, I did find the rear to be only finger tight. After cranking them down I took her for a test drive but, no dice. Still floating.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchtwister13 View Post
you didnt say anything about the sway bar links are they still hooked up also the tack bar not correctly adjusted could also be the problem but the best thing i did was change out the control arms never had a problem after that the stock ones are really weak and the bushings may look ok but the stock arms flex really bad imy zj is lifted 5.5 inches and i have no problems at all i drive mine daily
I have extended links in the rear and JKS quicker discos up front; all of which nice and solid. The trackbar (to my best guess) look pretty dead on. I have IRO heavy duty adjustable CA's that I'll be installing along with new bushings tomorrow. I'm hoping worn CA bushings is all it is. Thanks for the help.
Unread 08-25-2012, 06:28 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Are the control arm bushings original? If they are that's defiantly the problem.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 06:37 PM   #10
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

Use a good quality control arm the stock ones bottom out on the diff and cannot travel I have rubicon express adjstable uppers and fixed lowers my death wobble went away completely after I changed them they are very beefy
Unread 08-25-2012, 06:41 PM   #11
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

Also recomended toe is 0 total toe
Unread 08-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #12
Wrenchtwister13
1993 ZJ 

Sorry I just saw that you have iro control arms the mounting points on the diff ok they crack sometimes
Unread 08-25-2012, 07:03 PM   #13
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wrenchtwister13
Also recomended toe is 0 total toe
Seriously, stop giving ****ty advice. If you don't know, don't post.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 07:05 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteOut View Post
Seriously, stop giving ****ty advice. If you don't know, don't post.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-25-2012, 07:09 PM   #15
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower
If I followed his advice I would have a jeep with a DPA, a T Case drop and zero toe.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
alignment , ball joint , death wobble , tre

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.