Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

Another front driveshaft question 5.9 zj

496 views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  PolkaPower 
#1 ·
Hi all,
I'll preface this with this; I've checked FAQs, searched here, searched thespeedfreaks and can't come up with this answer.
My front driveshaft is either imbalanced or off center, I get some good vibration around 55 mph to 60, and don't want to put stress on bearings. My local driveline shop is wanting a good chunk of money just for a balance, and if like to avoid that route if possible.
I am aware of the varying geometry between the different transmissions. However, would a front driveshaft from a 96-98 with 44RE work with the 5.9? I'd like to have one in at least while I can wait to find a reasonable shop to rebuild and balance mine. I've got a 242 so running no front is a possibility however.

Many thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#2 ·
What do you mean by varying geometry between the transmissions? There are differences in lengths of front & rear driveshafts depending on the engine & transmission - only thing you need to know is the DS length you need. All front driveshafts bolt up if DS style and lengths match.
Rear is different on a niner due to the larger 1330- series u-joints.

Even if you had a 249, you could've run with no driveshaft on a '96-'98.
I'd just pull the front DS until you figure out what to do, it doesn't hurt a thing. Just remember that it can get pretty slippery on wet pavement with an RWD niner :D ;)

As for the front DS, you can either buy a new CV joint (they do exist, I just can't remember the part number), buy a good junkyard version, or install a u-joint style shaft + replace the pinion flange with a yoke.

#3 ·
Hi all,
I'll preface this with this; I've checked FAQs, searched here, searched thespeedfreaks and can't come up with this answer.
My front driveshaft is either imbalanced or off center, I get some good vibration around 55 mph to 60, and don't want to put stress on bearings. My local driveline shop is wanting a good chunk of money just for a balance, and if like to avoid that route if possible.
I am aware of the varying geometry between the different transmissions. However, would a front driveshaft from a 96-98 with 44RE work with the 5.9? I'd like to have one in at least while I can wait to find a reasonable shop to rebuild and balance mine. I've got a 242 so running no front is a possibility however.

Many thanks.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk
The Oreilly driveshaft worked for me, even though it was for the 6 cyl. The difference in length is small.
Have you tried rockauto?

#4 ·
All second gen V8 front shafts are the same length 44re vs 46re makes no difference.

#6 ·
Oddly enough, my front driveshaft is u joint and double cardan. No front cv joint..
It must've been swapped in at some point, because all 5.9 ZJs came with a CV + double cardan joint front DS.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.