Another "clunk" thread - ignore the noise? (2004 WJ) - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another "clunk" thread - ignore the noise? (2004 WJ)

Attention to the TJ owners 1996-2006 NEW LED LIGHT OPTIONSOPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-27-2009, 07:53 PM   #1
JustSomeDude
2004 WJ 

Another "clunk" thread - ignore the noise? (2004 WJ)

So with my 2" BB installed, I found a "clunk" sometimes occurs from what appears to be the right-rear wheel area. Now, before you go talking about torquing bolts, etc., be aware that this clunk existed BEFORE I installed the lift. At first I thought it was just the stock shocks blown out - but since it persists, I am very confused.

I can confirm that the rear shock mount and linkage bolts are torqued perfectly to spec. The coil was seated properly, and everything with the lift was in order. As for the sound, it will not occur with any normal bump, deep pothole, etc. It almost requires 2-to-3 consecutive bumps in the road to get the rear rocking. Even then, it's not a loud CLUNK, it's almost a subtle "thud"... and when I go over multiple bumps it sounds like a "wobble". I'm sure this isn't making any sense, but I'm wondering if some one could suggest where I should begin...

Or should I just ignore the sound??

JustSomeDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2009, 08:06 PM   #2
Pomorza
1996 ZJ 

When does this "clunk" occur? I had a similar "thud" noise with my ZJ (completely stock) and the U-joints were shot.
Unread 03-27-2009, 10:01 PM   #3
JustSomeDude
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomorza View Post
When does this "clunk" occur? I had a similar "thud" noise with my ZJ (completely stock) and the U-joints were shot.
It's *usually* when hitting a few moderately sized bumps right in a row, and the back gets a little rocked around. If I do single bumps - like run over a curb or something - it doesn't happen. I have to down an alley with a schitt ton of potholes, or something, at a good speed to get it to occur. But it's definitely coming from the rear, and sounds like rear-right.
Unread 03-27-2009, 11:02 PM   #4
PJNovinskee27
1998 TJ Wrangler 

DUDDDE. same thing is happening in my 01 WJ. so ya id love to know why. its the same thing with mine... i need consecutive liie little bumps .... and its in my right rear and i tighted the shock bolts really well so i have no diea. and the rear bushing seems okay.
Unread 03-28-2009, 12:03 AM   #5
AgitatedPancake
2001 WJ 

check out your control arm bushings on the side the sound is coming from, and I know the balljoint in the upper rear a-arm starts clunking annoyingly when it gets worn out.
Build Thread: http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=7387
AgitatedPancake's Youtube Channel
AgitatedPancake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-30-2009, 10:15 AM   #6
JustSomeDude
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
check out your control arm bushings on the side the sound is coming from, and I know the balljoint in the upper rear a-arm starts clunking annoyingly when it gets worn out.
I was just about to say... this is the EXACT same sound I had on my Explorer when the balljoints were shot. Cripes... another drop in the bucket!!!!

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.