another AC thread. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > another AC thread.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBrand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!New Vendor - ARTEC Industries Battery Mounts

Unread 07-18-2007, 11:43 PM   #1
sandman
1993 ZJ 

another AC thread.

ok so i found out what my problem is, the compressor wont kick on. if i wire a constant on the plug that connects to the evap can thing it turns on and stays on but besides that it wont come on. so what do i need? im guessing that i dont need a new compressor right?

Unread 07-19-2007, 12:57 AM   #2
Dalmask

That plug plugs into the pressure switch for your system. If the freon is low in your system, the switch keeps your compressor from spinning to avoid damage to the compressor. What you'll need is a freon fill kit with a pressure gauge. It's pretty simple from there on out, just follow the instructions.

Ryan
Dalmask is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 01:14 PM   #3
alivenkickin28
1995 ZJ 

Yeah if you jump the plug and it comes on its more than lkely out of freon -- being that it is a 93 you may be looking at bad evaporator -- when you gas it back up get in and see if you can smell a "gas" smell inside coming out of the vents -- if you can -- thats your problem - if not possibly the accumulator or even the low pressure switch can have a leak -- the accumulator is pretty cheap -- 100 bucks with hoses at Napa -- evap bout 120 -- but its a pain in the ASSSSSSSSSSSS to change out -- good luck!
alivenkickin28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-19-2007, 07:07 PM   #4
sandman
1993 ZJ 

is it possible that its too full? i just filled it and i have a hunch i put a bit too much in.
Unread 07-19-2007, 08:17 PM   #5
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Did you jump the compressor when you filled it? I think the compressor has to be running in order to add. Could be wrong though.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2007, 04:57 AM   #6
SnaFu2
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites
Did you jump the compressor when you filled it? I think the compressor has to be running in order to add. Could be wrong though.
No, u r right. compressor must be running to recharge. jumping low pressure switch will make compressor run if u r low on freon. make sure to purge line from guage to port before u add freon, otherwise u r sending a shot of air into system. not good!
without compressor running u will most likely show a too high pressure reading on guage. mine cycles on and off when low, i just give it a shot or two when it cycles on and compressor will stay running, and blow cold air.

a side question. has anyone had problems with the low pressure switch. if so, how hard is it to change out? i ask, because as soon as i jump it out i have cold air and i only have to give system a couple of short shots of freon (way less the a lb.) before low pressure switch is satisfied.
SnaFu2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.