Another 98 ZJ Side view mirror question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another 98 ZJ Side view mirror question

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 07-24-2011, 10:25 PM   #1
BL_Maros
1998 ZJ 

Another 98 ZJ Side view mirror question

I'll be getting a 98 zj limited 4.0 6l. One thing I need to replace is the drivers side view mirror. I do not want to replace the entire housing as it is painted to the color of the jeep. I'd really prefer to just replace the glass. even draining the diming fluid might be okay. can some one link me in the direction of a step by step thread for removing just the glass and maybe another for draining the diming fluid? (if there is a such thing).

Also is there a vendor link to somewhere i can buy JUST the glass?

thanks

BL_Maros is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 08:12 AM   #2
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

Take a look at RatMonkey's build thread. I think he did that in there. Or maybe he posted it in a separate thread. I do seem to remember that someone on this forum did the fluid drain.

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 08:31 AM   #3
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

You face the mirror towards the ground and use a screwdriver to pry up on the mirror and it'll slide off the clips that hold it on, then there are 2 wires going to it for the dim feature. From there I'm not exactly sure how the black ring comes off the glass to get the fluid out but it might just be clipped, mine is broke so it came off easy. Then you take the front glass out and clean both the front piece of glass and the mirror glass, put them back together and then put it back on the Jeep. BTW, the dealer does not have the dimming glass anymore, I tried to buy one there and it was just a regular mirror for $80, I returned it before leaving the parking lot.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 08:08 PM   #4
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

I went to the jy and found a zj and proceeded to pull off the glass insert. After some careful prying and pulling I got it off. I figured if it broke it didnt matter and I would move on to the next one. There is a method to it, but I learned by doing it at the jy first, and then successfully on my zj. It was kind of tedious, but do-able. As for the oil, none I found at the jy were any good. So my driver's side mirror does not dim, but at least I can see out of it.
savannahzj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #5
BL_Maros
1998 ZJ 

Yeahh I don't really care about dimming just need it to be clear. This is some gread advice though. Thanks guys! Ill def have to go to the jy first.
Unread 07-28-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepOrvis97 View Post
BTW, the dealer does not have the dimming glass anymore, I tried to buy one there and it was just a regular mirror for $80, I returned it before leaving the parking lot.
You can still get the auto dimming mirror from the dealer, just got one last week to replace the one on my 98 ZJ, it cost a little over $300 for the whole assembly. Itís $40 more if you just want the mirror glass part, so your better off getting the whole assembly.
They had it for me by the next day.
Unread 07-28-2011, 06:27 PM   #7
JeepOrvis97
1997 ZJ 

Well that's way too much money. Not sure why they couldn't get one for me at my dealer. They even used the vin to look for the mirror.
JeepOrvis97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
BL_Maros
1998 ZJ 

Yeah that's an awful lot for a mirror. Id much rather just drain the fluid.
Unread 07-28-2011, 08:34 PM   #9
coralman
I can wish can't I?

1998 ZJ 

Creature comforts are a personal preference. Personally, with an idiot behind me with HID's I love the dimming. In my conversion I have one waiting to install and a spare.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Before getting this high dollar mirror with a heater, pan, tilt, memory and auto dimming, I had looked at draining the fluid out and other options. If I where going the inexpensive way, I would just go down to the junkyard and pop the mirror part out of one that was non-dimming.

I don’t like those HID lights behind me either.
My 98 ZJ - 5.9 looks almost like new and most everything works with over 150,000 miles on it, and I want to keep it that way. And I do use it off-road too.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.