Another 3-4" lift thread - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Another 3-4" lift thread

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-19-2008, 08:58 PM   #1
Davis87YJ
1995 ZJ 

My 95 Grand Cherokee Build Thread

Ok Guys help me out here. I know it's been said before believe me I have searched and looked at every website I could find this week.

I have a 95 ZJ 4.0 and am looking to lift it 3-4". I'm trying to stay away from the budget boosts but if someone can persuade me otherwise I would consider it. I have a friend with some 32" BFG that I would get for nothing so I would like to be able to fit those and wouldn't care if I had to do a little trimming.

The Rough Country 4" caught my eye because it actually includes the control arms unlike what I see from everyone else in the same price range, it's $629.
http://www.roughcountry.com/jeep_zj-4.html

The Rusty's 3" kit seems very basic and would be be $440 with the cheap shocks.

The IRO 3.5" Kit seems to include a bit more than the rusty's kit, although it reuses your old from springs for the rear. It's $460

The RRO 3.5 or 4.5" kit seems a bit like the IRO as it's a F>R as well and runs $440-474, but I've heard there service is horrible.

The $600 range is at the top of what I would like to spend for the kit. I know I'll need an alignment afterwards and don't want it to be any more $1000 when all is said and done.

Let me know what you guys think.

Thanks,

-TIM-

Last edited by Davis87YJ; 04-07-2008 at 05:59 PM.. Reason: Title Change
Davis87YJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:24 PM   #2
White_XJ1287
2004 WJ 

Iron Rock Offroad - Best Choice
White_XJ1287 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:33 PM   #3
Jones
Consider the following...

Yes go with IRO. You shouldn't have to much trimming, mostly the front bumper and bending the pinch weld.
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:35 PM   #4
Davis87YJ
1995 ZJ 

So with the 3.5" IRO lift I can get away with using the stock CA's. I don't need anything not included in the kit for $460?
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:37 PM   #5
Sporer65
1993 ZJ 

I would go with either the IRO kit and get a rear adjustable track bar or the RC kit and get adjustable track bars front and rear.

1993 Jeep Grand Wagoneer ZJ V8: Rear Aussie, 3.5" Lift, 31" M/Ts

GA Trail Riders
Sporer65 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:49 PM   #6
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

well with the IRO kit you would need to hunt down some front V8 springs, not I6 springs.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 09:51 PM   #7
FlipFlop425
2004 WJ 

Go with IRO you can't beat it for the price.

WJ Wheels For Sale!!!
FlipFlop425 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:02 PM   #8
ickydoo

I just installed the Rough Country 4" lift last weekend and I love it. I'm running 33 x 12.5x 15 and all I had to trim was the front bumper and a little bit of the rocker panel. And smack the pinch weld with a BFH a couple times.

I'm glad I went with this kit because of the adjustable arms, allows you to move the rear axle back a bit to avoid any rubbing there, plus makes setting your pinion angle a breeze. Just so you know, there instructions suck big time, but its a pretty straight forward kit to install.

I did buy front and rear adjustable track bars from Kevins Offroad, just because I wanted more flex, and I'm not a fan of brackets. I highly recommend Kevins stuff.

It turns out I want to go an inch or 2 higher so I just ordered the front upper adjustable arms from Rough Country. They were only another 160 bucks, and will fix the pinion angle for the front.

As for the alignment, Just do it yourself and save some money. There is alot of info on here to show you, its quite easy and it doesnt take very long at all.
ickydoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-19-2008, 10:09 PM   #9
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

RRO - great company Read up on em: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/bad-rocky-road-offroad-rro-experience-441808/
Unread 03-20-2008, 07:22 AM   #10
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

I'm going to delta 9 you when I get home.

Hunter

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2008, 07:25 AM   #11
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

I don't swing that way Hunter
Unread 03-20-2008, 11:04 AM   #12
Davis87YJ
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporer65 View Post
I would go with either the IRO kit and get a rear adjustable track bar or the RC kit and get adjustable track bars front and rear.
Ok, so if I go with the RC kit, for the adjustable track bars would I still install the Front and rear track bar drop brackets or since I would have the adjustable track bar I would mount them in the stock locations. So I would be looking at

Rough Country 4" lift kit $629
Front Adj Track Bar $139
Rear Adj Track Bar $139
Total-------- $907

IRO 3.5" Kit $459
Rear Springs since I have the I-6 $119
Reear Adj Track Bar $139
Total- $717 (No control arms w/ this kit)

for that matter should I be looking at the

IRO 4.5 Kit for $759
comes w/ F&R adj track bars, no control arms either.
T-case drop kit

Are the CA's that come with the RC kit any good, because that is what is steering me towards the RC kit. It looks like it's $499 for a full set of control arms from IRO, is there a cheaper place for those.

Are control arms really needed? got this from RRO website
Quote:
You might ask about control arms. Many lifts have them... and boy don't those spiffy colors look pretty. The reality is that Jeep knew we'd be lifting these things and so built adjustability into the front end control arm mounitng system. Yes, with the stock control arms, you can have your vehicle set to 100% factory spec on alignment with the factory arms. The other shops won't be happy to hear thins since most money in suspension systems is made from pieces like the control arms (anything that is welded is a money maker for manufacturers) and not springs and shocks.
...While the truth may hurt them, it will set you free...
"
I was trying to stay around $600-700, but the price keeps jumping up here.

I should mention here that I probably wont be doing heavy duty offroading, I'm a hiker and backpacker. My truck is to get me to the trailhead and then thats where my fun starts. Some trailheads are a little harder to get to than others. I would like to have the ability to get to most places, but I won't be deliberatley crawling over rock cracks and boulders just for fun.

I still want to be able to fit the 32's though. Not wanting to skimp on things here, but it is for a 2nd vehicle that will only be driven 1-2 a month.

Thanks again guys, keep the info coming, I appreciate it.

-TIM-

Last edited by Davis87YJ; 03-20-2008 at 11:33 AM..
Unread 03-20-2008, 11:24 AM   #13
ArloGuthroJeep
Mr. Hyde!

2004 WJ 

That is a crock of **** lie from RRO.

Don't use a crappy trackbar drop bracket. Especially since you plan on getting adjustable trackbars, there is no reason to. If you want to upgrade to the best possible trackbar system, check out www.kevinsoffroad.com and get his trackbar conversion. It'll upgrade you to a JKS trackbar and get rid of the stupid TRE on the stock trackbar that the ZJ's have. It'll also give you a very stout trackbar bracket.

Forget the TC drop kit - there is a 98% chance you won't need one.

As far as what you plan on spending I'll say this:
Dont' try and list a Grand Cherokee on the cheap.

Some people get lucky and need very little to lift their Jeep 4.5". Others need full sets of adjustable control arms & trackbars and replacement TRE's and DLE's etc...So if you plan on lifting that high and not doing the "full ball of wax" the first time out, be prepared and forewarned that there is the very real possibility you'll run into some issues and be required to spend well over your $600-$700 pricetag you have set for yourself.
Unread 03-20-2008, 12:37 PM   #14
QuadraTokn
1930 WJ 

Quote:
You might ask about control arms. Many lifts have them... and boy don't those spiffy colors look pretty. The reality is that Jeep knew we'd be lifting these things and so built adjustability into the front end control arm mounitng system. Yes, with the stock control arms, you can have your vehicle set to 100% factory spec on alignment with the factory arms. The other shops won't be happy to hear thins since most money in suspension systems is made from pieces like the control arms (anything that is welded is a money maker for manufacturers) and not springs and shocks.
...While the truth may hurt them, it will set you free... "
That is the stupidest, most misleading, misinforming statement i have ever heard. How can they **** people over like that??

The factory CA's were designed for a lift height of 0". The more you lift it the more you are going to need aftermarket CA's. At 4.5" i really dont think you can get 100% factory specs on stock CA's.

Another thing, my "front end control arm mounting system" is stationary - it is welded to the axle and body. But when RRO shows me how i can easily adjust them i can decide to believe them.
QuadraTokn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-20-2008, 01:06 PM   #15
BLU88
1993 ZJ 

Word of advice from one newbie to the next. If you want to go on the cheap, look for other people's stuff when they upgrade. You can piece together a kit like I did and save a couple of bucks, but your downtime could be months. A complete kit is the easiest way to go. All the parts come in the box (most of the time) and you don't have to go to napa, advance auto, lowes, etc, for bolts, parts, etc etc etc. Lifting these things aren't cheap. If you want cheap, mount coil spacers and find up-country springs. That'll put you at ~3". You still need Adj trac bars (fr & rr) and shocks. And you're not going to find decent arms for less than 150/pair. A guy I know swaped in his rough country tj kit into his ZJ and loves it. It's his DD and his backup trail rig (his TJ has LA's, dana 60's etc, etc). Go with the rough country or IRO to get you started but get new trac bars to locate the axles.
l_---l_l__l----( )jeep( )
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)
BLU88 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.