Angry at wheel bearings which part??? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Angry at wheel bearings which part???

Labor day sale @ rockridge 4wd! 8/29-9/1 site wide..promo Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comShocktober is here! Get new shocks for your Jeep!!!!

Unread 09-10-2011, 10:17 PM   #31
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yea, I went around my butt to get to my elbow.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #32
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Ok, got the new bearings in. Timkens. One says Torrington, the other KOYO both say made in U.S.A. Both come in the same Timken box.

From this pic can you tell if they are seated all the way in? I used the old bearing to start it then with the old bearing I used a piece of wood to hammer it in the rest of the way. I sure hope this was the problem. With my luck the noise will still be there and it will be the inner seals and bearings and cost a butt load of dough.
101_0658.jpg  
Unread 09-11-2011, 04:05 PM   #33
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

torrington is the type as said, koyo is a BRAND, someone put a slightly lower grade bearing in a timken box and sold it to you for the premium...

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 05:41 PM   #34
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Looks like you have it seated well. Squirt some gear oil in the rollers just for good measure.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 05:52 PM   #35
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
torrington is the type as said, koyo is a BRAND, someone put a slightly lower grade bearing in a timken box and sold it to you for the premium...
Yea, I kinda thought that was afoot. Oh well I guess we will see if it wears out first.

I am about to take her out for the first time in a week to get some crab legs and beer. Yippie.
Unread 09-11-2011, 11:43 PM   #36
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Writing a long email to Autozone corporate with the name of the manager and location to let them know what happened. I don't expect anything. I just want to let them know that I got ripped off and won't do business with them again.

It's funny how 14 years ago when I had my 95 zj that I hated to go to A-zone. Nothing has changed.
Unread 09-12-2011, 01:03 PM   #37
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Ok well, there is still a noise there but now it's 70% quieter with the new bearings so they needed changing out. As far as the other noise goes I have narrowed it to either the carrier bearings or the brake drums. They are suspect because when I got the truck the rear brakes were worn to hell and these drums/rotors look like they have been on here for a long time. You can run your finger over them and feel a groove from years of use. The noise is low pitched and sounds like scraping not like a whining. I hope it's the drums. rotors.

Oh and thanks for all of the great advice. You guys rock.
Unread 09-12-2011, 02:07 PM   #38
bobotech
1993 ZJ 

Nevermind/missed the 2nd page of posts.
bobotech is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 09:34 PM   #39
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I suspect your rotors are scored and causing a good amount of the noise you have. I wouldn't discount carrier/pinion bearings, but they tend to take quite a bit longer to go completely out.

Unread 09-12-2011, 11:14 PM   #40
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
I suspect your rotors are scored and causing a good amount of the noise you have. I wouldn't discount carrier/pinion bearings, but they tend to take quite a bit longer to go completely out.
Yea, I can't see how the new brake pads can lay flat on the rotor with the grooves in it like that. I can live with that for a bit. I have a VC that's going south. I'm starting to research the 242 swap now, I don't know how much longer the vc will last. It doesn't hop to bad only when in full lock. Even then I can go really slow and it's fine. The tires are pretty worn around the edge because of it though.
Unread 09-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #41
savannahzj
1998 ZJ 

Do yourself a favor and remove the front ds. My vc was going but didnt seem too bad. Well, I am now replacing front suspension parts because of the additional strain the vc puts on them. I pulled the ds about 2 months ago until I find a 242 and the time to do the swap. The other benefit is according to the overhead display I went from 14.5 mpg to 16.8.
savannahzj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2011, 08:51 PM   #42
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

You needed a lift anyway

Don't trust the overhead display.

Unread 09-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #43
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have a BB with bilstein 5100's on the way. I'm gonna keep it this short for a while maybe put upcountry springs in and that's it. I am not going to take the front DS out because it will grenade the 249 faster. That is very bad for the 249. The VC isn't that bad yet. I still have some time on it. I'll find a 242 with in a couple months. My front suspension needs some fixing up after 127k. I will replace parts as I go.

edit: It will not harm the TC in the later model 249 , I was mistaken.
Unread 11-21-2012, 03:32 AM   #44
zjridah

Thanks for the all the info, Autozone sold me these for my 97 D44 I'm glad I checked here before diving into it.. I would have been PISSED!! And lol wtf F.A.G. Gears? Naw man

image-311781001.jpg
zjridah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2012, 06:15 AM   #45
96zedjay
1996 ZJ 

The 5707 is a very common bearing. Not only is it used in many cars and trucks it also is used in
transmissions, transfer cases, farm tractors, combines, industrial equipment, well you get the idea.
96zedjay is online now   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.