Angry at wheel bearings which part??? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Angry at wheel bearings which part???

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-10-2011, 04:19 PM   #16
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

if the bearing came with a race it's the wrong one.
the zj uses only a straight roller bearing and the shaft is the inner bearing surface.

the wj uses a cup/cone tapered roller bearing.

the zj 44a uses a 5707 bearing. bearing numbers are universal as they designate the type and dimensions of the bearing.

ask for a timken 5707.

use a seal remover or screw driver to pull the remainder of that seal out and see what you're working with on the wheel bearing.

if the blind bearing puller attachment is too big to flatten out in the tube, use it. at least it's guaranteed to catch.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:36 PM   #17
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Ok, it's ok if it scratches up the tube a bit? All of the bearings I looked at at all of the stores came with a race and they said they would fit. I ended up ordering them from a local drive line shop instead. The guy at the shop said they were the Dana 44 HD bearings and seals.

The 3 jaw is exactly what I need but I am stuck with what I have here as the wife and I just got into a fight and I doubt she wants to help lol.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 05:21 PM   #18
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

scratching the tube is a total non-issue.

timken 5707. any of the ones with races you're just paying for crap you aren't going to use.

Unread 09-10-2011, 05:26 PM   #19
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Ok here are the results. Some dents near the ridge of the seal from the larger swing puller. What is the verdict with this? Still ok to put a new one in? Or do I need to do some repairs?
101_0648.jpg   101_0649.jpg  
Unread 09-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #20
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

i don't think those dents came from you.

slam the new bearing and race in there and run it.

never seen one blow up like that. the one i have sitting here in front of me has a seriously solid outer race compared to that tin crap. the rollers are also held in place by snap rings, not pressed over 16g metal.

Unread 09-10-2011, 05:44 PM   #21
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Yea, there was a cage and spring that held the bearings in that came flying out all over that turned my satisfaction to anger. On the race it has "Torrington" stamped into it. Well it makes me feel good that I didn't screw anything up yet.
101_0651.jpg   101_0652.jpg  
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:06 PM   #22
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

The spring is from the inside of the seal. That cage looks like poo though.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 06:58 PM   #23
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The pass side came out with hardly a hassle. It sounds like poop.

101_0653.jpg  
Unread 09-10-2011, 07:10 PM   #24
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Hahahaha I won't be buying these.
picture-2.png  
Unread 09-10-2011, 07:44 PM   #25
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

f.a.g. bearings are very high quality. use a ton of them at work.

f.a.g., timken, skf, ntn are top bearing makers.

torrington is the type of bearing that is technically called.

Unread 09-10-2011, 07:46 PM   #26
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratmonkey View Post
f.a.g. bearings are very high quality. use a ton of them at work.

f.a.g., timken, skf, ntn are top bearing makers.

torrington is the type of bearing that is technically called.
What about National bearings? That seems to be all that is around here unless I wait until Tuesday. I just thought the abbreviation was funny with the F.A.G. Even funnier if you are telling someone what kind of bearings you run in your rear.
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:10 PM   #27
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Just to reiterate what has been said before, the part numbers at the auto stores all are wrong for the wheel bearings for the 44a. I just looked around on Napa, Autozone, and Oreillys and just typed in 5707 and the right part came up. At the store searching under my vehicle make and year, it brought up a bearing for the dana 44hd(wrong part) and a part for the 35c which looked like the one I have. Since it said 35c I did not buy it but it is the right part. So the 5707 for the dana 35c is the part for the 44a. Makes me want to pull my hair out, such a simple thing and they got is so wrong.

Look how stupid this is. These are the correct part numbers that fit my 98 zj. Autozone even has the rear wheel bearing listed as a tranny bearing.
picture-3.png   picture-4.png  
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:48 PM   #28
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

IdiotZone is the worst of all the parts stores for having mistakes in the parts database.

Find a Factory Part Number Listing and you just look up and cross reference the Jeep part number.

Google Jeep J8134586 and see what comes up.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 10:51 PM   #29
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Bingo http://c2c.activant.com/ctoc/index.j...JyABgMUHFUBQAA

Autocrap has the Timken bearings but not the seals. Oreilly has the National bearings but cheapo Mastercraft seals. Napa across town has both for more money. Unbelievable hassle for such a common thing.

Funny, the late night guy at Oreillys said to me that "it's the bearings that matter , not the seals". Lol what the heck is going to happen when I use cheap seals with good bearings????? I would be up the creek in 6 months doing this all again.
Unread 09-10-2011, 11:08 PM   #30
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I found that Autozone, O'Reilly and Napa think that ZJs have IRON D44s. No clue why.

When you tell them you have a D35, you get the right bearing and seal.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.