Angry at wheel bearings which part??? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Angry at wheel bearings which part???

Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 09-10-2011, 12:50 PM   #1
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Angry at wheel bearings which part??? No longer angry.

Every where I went today had confused employees and different looking wheel bearings than whats sitting in my axle tubes right now but they say it's the right part. WTF part do I need?

Is this the part I need??

https://www.napaonline.com/Catalog/C...RecType%3aA%29

Because it looks nothing like this below which is what is in my axle

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 01:11 PM   #2
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Wheel Bearing - Rear Wheel - Part Number: BRG BR9
Product Line: NAPA Bearings
IMPORTANT INFO: w/ Spicer/Dana 35 Axle,w/ Spicer/Dana 44 Axle

Any of these will work/interchange.

OMIX-ADA Part # 1653622
NATIONAL Part # 5707
TIMKEN Part # NP182140904A1
SKF Part # BR9
NATIONAL Part # A10
Jeep# J8134586

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
CJ7-Tim is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 01:21 PM   #3
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Ok, thank you. Now the seals. Are they the metal ring that comes with it or do they look like this?

Unread 09-10-2011, 01:27 PM   #4
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Bearings cages come with a matched bearing race. Install both as a matched set. Seals are seals.

www.rockauto.com has the best info and best selection of parts. Once you locate your part, click on the INFO tab for each available part, some manufacturers have additional info, specifications, and cross reference numbers.

Google for a JEEP Factory Part Number Listing. They show Jeep factory part numbers for every part on your Jeep.

Most parts store counter monkeys are morons and can only tell you what the computer screen says. The computer parts data bases have numerous proven errors.

You should always know more than the parts monkeys about what parts you need, before you enter the store.

Between 2009 when Obama took office, and 2013, median annual household incomes have fallen by more than $2,100.

Progressive Liberalism: Bringing you new Healthcare ideas so wonderful, they have to include mandatory participation ......

Originally Posted by Ronald W. Reagan: Government is not the solution to our problems; Government is the problem.
Unread 09-10-2011, 01:36 PM   #5
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Thanks, that is the exact reason that I have not bought anything yet. I will print out these parts and take them with me. Hopefully I will have this back together by the end of the day and have no more noise!
Thank's Tim
Unread 09-10-2011, 01:43 PM   #6
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

So to clarify, I will not need the race according to this pic

Unread 09-10-2011, 01:59 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Ok, so the ZJ uses the C clips and doesn't use the retainer rings. The WJ has the bearing pressed onto the axle shaft with the retainer rings but they come with the bearing which was confusing me.
Unread 09-10-2011, 02:07 PM   #8
CJ7-Tim
Real Jeeps have dents.

2000 XJ Cherokee 

If your bearing comes with a new race, you need to use it. You can't mix new and old bearing parts.

Unread 09-10-2011, 02:36 PM   #9
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Ok will do. I am giving this thing hell with the slide hammer and it's coming slowly but it's in there good.
Unread 09-10-2011, 02:58 PM   #10
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I ran into a pretty big snag. I don't think that I have the correct size bearing removal adapter. They gave me a kit with 1 1/2 to big
1 3/4 to big
1 1/4 to small

It pulled the seal and part of the bearing case came off and all the bearings fell out but the case or ring is still stuck in the tube. I tried to attach it again but the 1 /14 just slips off and comes right out with out the bearing ring.

I guess my next question is how to get out the remaining part without damaging the tube.
101_0643.jpg  
Unread 09-10-2011, 03:27 PM   #11
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Wow...never seen the collar shatter like that.

Dremel?
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 03:30 PM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I have one but I am very hesitant to use it. I probably don't have much choice at this point though. I have tried to re attach the puller 3 times and it just slips right off. I am worried that this will happen to the other side too.
Unread 09-10-2011, 03:59 PM   #13
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

Just be very careful with a dremel, most of the time you only need to go about half-way through that outer shell and when you put the slide hammer back on the shell it might break it and come out ( make sense?)

If you do get into the axle tube, its not that big of a deal if its only a little bit.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:08 PM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jnicewan View Post
Just be very careful with a dremel, most of the time you only need to go about half-way through that outer shell and when you put the slide hammer back on the shell it might break it and come out ( make sense?)

If you do get into the axle tube, its not that big of a deal if its only a little bit.
I hear you on that. I was looking at the swivel end of the puller and it looks like it is just a tiny bit to small to catch the lip of the bearing and slips right off. That's how it caught onto the bearings themselves and ripped the outer lip off. I can pull it out without the hammer attached. What a pos. I guess it can never be too simple. I am guessing that I can expect this with the other side as well.
Unread 09-10-2011, 04:17 PM   #15
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

I'd go with a 3-jaw on the other side. Don't use the washer looking attachment.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.