Ambient air temp sensor help? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Ambient air temp sensor help?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 08-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #1
bam_107
1997 ZJ 

Ambient air temp sensor help?

97 grand cherokee laredo v8
I have found the location of the sensor and i need to know how to replace it and also what to connect it to some reason there are two sensors side by side with one being slightly larger i have no idea what they are suppose to be connected to or how to replace them.becaise the one i bought from autozone does not have a place to run wires to would post pics but do not know how if you have a digram that would be great

bam_107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 05:25 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

The ambient temp sensor is located behind the grill on the left side and forward of the radiator.

The Mopar number is 55036214

It connects to the wire harness and no wiring diagram is needed. Take the one you got back and order an OEM part. They are about 25 bucks.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 06:49 PM   #3
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bam_107 View Post
97 grand cherokee laredo v8
I have found the location of the sensor and i need to know how to replace it and also what to connect it to some reason there are two sensors side by side with one being slightly larger i have no idea what they are suppose to be connected to or how to replace them.becaise the one i bought from autozone does not have a place to run wires to would post pics but do not know how if you have a digram that would be great
There should be a plug on the old sensor. Simply unscrew and unplug the old one and plug in the new. Check the wires and make sure they aren't broken or torn - my ZJ had one of the wires torn so I just spliced them back together.

It's also a lot easier to get to if you remove the grille.
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #4
bam_107
1997 ZJ 

Alright sounds easy enough will try and get the part tomorrow but still why would there be two?
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:40 PM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
why would there be two?
I really dont know why there would be two sensors. What trim level do you have... is it a Limited or other than a vanilla Laredo?
Unread 08-01-2013, 09:59 PM   #6
JeepNicholson
1996 ZJ 

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/a...8/#post4294758
JeepNicholson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:10 PM   #7
bam_107
1997 ZJ 

Just a factory set laredo cant upload image due to.file size but if anyone is up to it i can try to email it blakemorrow107@gmail.com
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:11 PM   #8
bam_107
1997 ZJ 

And the part in the link from joe is the dame one i have from.auto zone but it will not connect
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:20 PM   #9
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

check some of the mopar online wholesalers for 55036214, then call a dealer for a price.

I still cant figure out what two things you see out there, especially since has no special trim.
Unread 08-01-2013, 10:28 PM   #10
jnicewan
1995 ZJ 

I would think they would only need one sensor, but these were not real sophisticated vehicles. Maybe one was for the Auto-A/C, and the other for the overhead trip computer, even if vehicle doesnt have one or the other, it might have been put on there from streamlined assembly.

Two sensors? one was for Celsius, other for Fahrenheit duh.
jnicewan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-01-2013, 11:18 PM   #11
bam_107
1997 ZJ 

sorry pics suck but jeep forum wont allow any large so had to crop but those are the two sensors the third is the part from autozone but like i said the back of it has no wires and it wont connect to either of the sensors
new.jpg

old.jpg

auto.jpg

Unread 08-02-2013, 07:20 AM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Even with pictures, I'm still at a quandary here

Quote:
I have found the location of the sensor and i need to know how to replace it
You take the sensor off the frame by loosening and removing the attaching bolt

Quote:
and also what to connect it to some reason there are two sensors side by side with one being slightly larger i have no idea what they are suppose to be connected to or how to replace them.
There should be a wiring harness with two wires that connect to the thing you just removed from the frame. You'll need to disable the lock by slightly pulling up or pushing down on a tab, then pull the connector out of the sensor.

Quote:
becaise the one i bought from autozone does not have a place to run wires to
The place to run wire to are the two pins that I can see in pic 3. This is done with a wiring harness and connector that should be on you vehicle. (the one you just disconnected). Check the shape and wire colors per attached pic. They should be light green with white stripe, and dark green with red stripe.

The only scenario I know of that would alter all of this is if sometime in the past, someone changed out the sensor with a universal or off brand sensor and also changed the connector, leaving the OEM sensor hanging there.

If this is the case first, you need to follow the harness back to where ever it was spliced in and check the connection there. If it is okay, you need to go to the junkyard and get the right harness and splice it in, then connect your sensor and remount it.
ats.jpg

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.