alternator power wire - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > alternator power wire

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 07-07-2013, 03:57 PM   #16
davidtownsend
2006 WK 

A capacitor for my sound system. Doesn't that act like a second small battery closer to my amps so they draw power from that one instead of my main battery? Then the alt will fill it back up? If it is a bad idea then I won't do it. But no one had told me about them.

Unread 07-07-2013, 04:17 PM   #17
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

A capacitor releases it's charge all at once...unless it's set up with a resistor, to slowly bleed it off. ( called a time constant and we dont need to get into the ins and outs of that here...or we'll be all day)

A capacitor is NOT a substitute for a battery. I think what you need is a larger battery which will hold a charge longer under load. Maybe a larger alternator too.

One of the things you can do is to increase the wire size going TO the audio AMP, thus reducing loss. ( to a point)

Words of wisdom, Posted by Zeejay:
"..it's not air, it is the opposite of air... suckage so to speak."

Stalling? Work through Zeejay's list
Oldfrog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 04:23 PM   #18
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

A little sidebar for grins:

While in high voltage lab classes ( RF transmitters), we'd charge an electrolytic capacitor and toss it to an unsuspecting classmate...who would naturally catch it with his hand and get the crap shocked out of him. It's been going on for decades and will continue to do so, I suspect. The point is, after it discharges all at once....it's dead until you recharge it.

Unread 07-07-2013, 04:34 PM   #19
davidtownsend
2006 WK 

I have ordered 0 gauge wire to a distribution block then 4 gauge wire from the block to the amps. In the future i will Gerry a 136 alternator. I have a duralast gold battery in right now. I forget the specs on it. Is our a good battery? So a capacitor like this isn't a good idea?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...oss-CAP4C.html

That sorry is funny though!
Unread 07-07-2013, 07:17 PM   #20
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

Ahh...for powered subs and a huge amp. I thought you just wanted your audio system to run longer by battery alone. duh... You need to speak with someone who installs them for a living. ( because I hate them)

You're still taxing the system and you need to start with a higher output source. ( alternator)...and work from there.

One more bit of advice. Dont pull up next to me and turn it up. I WILL draw my 45 down on you... ( just kidding...it's against the law here to make that much noise with a car audio system ...thankfully..)

Now if you were talking guitar amps....that's a different story..

Unread 07-07-2013, 07:58 PM   #21
David97
1995 ZJ 

Capacitors like those are a waste of money. Your better off just getting a better starting battery, preferably a AGM, and doing the big 3 upgrade.

What amp are you using? Other accessories?
David97 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #22
davidtownsend
2006 WK 

I will definitely save up for a bigger battery and alternator.
Unread 07-07-2013, 11:24 PM   #23
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
Dont pull up next to me and turn it up.

Those high Db thumpers get me at stop lights. I always think the ZJ is coming apart.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-08-2013, 01:48 PM   #24
Oldfrog
Web Wheeler
1997 ZJ 

I played guitar in a recording studio for a living for 3 years. I was also on the road with a band 3 days a week during that time, playing bass through an 18" Cerwin Vega spkr in a folded horn cabinet. ( much louder than 4- 15" speakers)

People dont understand that the wavelength of a bass note is long......so it doesnt "seem" as loud when you are close to the speakers....yet it kills the ears of the guy who's 75 feet back away from the stage. The trouble with that is the bass player himself is also KILLING his own ears, by being close to it, yet he doesnt hear it. I still play from time to time with some old studio musician friends and I use a very small guitar amp, mic it and we run it through the PA system so we dont kill our own ears.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.