alternator power wire - JeepForum.com

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 Old 06-30-2013, 06:12 AM Thread Starter
davidtownsend
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Elkton
Posts: 626
alternator power wire

Does anyone know what gauge wire is from the alternator to the battery and the battery to the ground? I would like to upgrade the wire. I searched but only found stuff on other models.


1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Limited
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L Hemi
davidtownsend is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 24 Old 06-30-2013, 07:06 AM
ZeeJay1997
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 8,709
ZeeJay1997 is offline  
post #3 of 24 Old 06-30-2013, 07:17 AM Thread Starter
davidtownsend
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Elkton
Posts: 626
So I should upgrade to 4 gauge wire? Or 0 gauge? I do have a system and a 5.9 alt

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Limited
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L Hemi
davidtownsend is offline  
post #4 of 24 Old 06-30-2013, 02:50 PM
Oldfrog
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Louisiana/Texas
Posts: 5,092
It wont hurt to upgrade the wire gauge if you use the correct size ends.

2007 5.7 Hemi, Ltd. QD II -
1997 ZJ, 4,0 select trac, Up country, track lok.
Oldfrog is offline  
post #5 of 24 Old 06-30-2013, 05:03 PM Thread Starter
davidtownsend
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Elkton
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
It wont hurt to upgrade the wire gauge if you use the correct size ends.
What size ends? Just a bolt on eyelet?

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Limited
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L Hemi
davidtownsend is offline  
post #6 of 24 Old 06-30-2013, 05:06 PM
Oldfrog
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Louisiana/Texas
Posts: 5,092
What I meant was , as long as they make a good and tight connection, they will work. Dont use terminal ends that are so small that you leave a few strands of copper outside the crimp just to make the wire fit.

2007 5.7 Hemi, Ltd. QD II -
1997 ZJ, 4,0 select trac, Up country, track lok.
Oldfrog is offline  
post #7 of 24 Old 06-30-2013, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
davidtownsend
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Elkton
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
What I meant was , as long as they make a good and tight connection, they will work. Dont use terminal ends that are so small that you leave a few strands of copper outside the crimp just to make the wire fit.
Thank you! I will look for that.

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Limited
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L Hemi
davidtownsend is offline  
post #8 of 24 Old 07-06-2013, 09:46 PM Thread Starter
davidtownsend
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Elkton
Posts: 626
I'm going to upgrade my alt wire tomorrow. Should I add on another 4gauge wire our should I replace the 6 gauge wire? I found out I don't have a 5.9alt. I only have a 90 amp one. Would this benefit me if I upgraded?

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Limited
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L Hemi
davidtownsend is offline  
post #9 of 24 Old 07-06-2013, 10:53 PM
Oldfrog
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Louisiana/Texas
Posts: 5,092
What exactly, are you trying to accomplish in the long run ?
In other words....what's the end game here?

2007 5.7 Hemi, Ltd. QD II -
1997 ZJ, 4,0 select trac, Up country, track lok.
Oldfrog is offline  
post #10 of 24 Old 07-07-2013, 02:48 AM Thread Starter
davidtownsend
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Elkton
Posts: 626
My end game is to have my battery charge faster so when my system is on my lights don't go down as much.

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Limited
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L Hemi
davidtownsend is offline  
post #11 of 24 Old 07-07-2013, 12:53 PM
Oldfrog
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Louisiana/Texas
Posts: 5,092
I am assuming your "system" is the audio system?

If so, larger wire gauge isnt going to get you where you need to go.
A larger battery will help, as will a higher output alternator. Do THAT, then increase wire size if necessary.....but understand that there are limitations within each of the components. Larger wire alone will not "quick charge" a battery ( which, btw, isnt good for the battery), it will just allow more current to flow to it without burning up....assuming you have a charging source that exceeds the amperage that the existing wire will handle. Then....we have the battery itself to consider. It's only going to charge so quickly. Theoretically, if you had a 300 amp charger, you could charge it in 2 hours from dead to full charge. The problem you run into is that's theory...not reality. Now you have to take into consideration heat, charging source, battery construction, and yes, even wire gauge.

My advice is to make sure all your connections are clean and tight, upgrade the battery and the alternator and if your amperage requirements exceed what's "normal" for the vehicle...then I'd be looking at a relay setup too. Remember, your PCM contains the voltage regulator and it's not wanting high amounts of current, trust me.

Or you could run two batteries.

2007 5.7 Hemi, Ltd. QD II -
1997 ZJ, 4,0 select trac, Up country, track lok.
Oldfrog is offline  
post #12 of 24 Old 07-07-2013, 01:36 PM
coralman
USER OF PARTS CATALOGS
 
coralman's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: florida
Posts: 7,410
If you are trying to make a 90 amp alternator cure your problems , the big three wont cure them. If you have a deep wallet here you go. I'm unfamilar if the voltage regulator is in the pcm, but this alt is showing it as external. To give a true expectation on system requirements then we need to know what the draw is in amps with the system on.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HIGH-OUTPUT-...0e6557&vxp=mtr

Info on projects and repairs categorized by system
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/c...-faqs-2863665/

Originally Posted by HighLonesome
lol...if life is as a simple as a 5.9 making you happy, I'd say go ahead and buy it on impulse. ZJs are the way of Zen. Wax on, wax off
coralman is offline  
post #13 of 24 Old 07-07-2013, 01:43 PM Thread Starter
davidtownsend
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Elkton
Posts: 626
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldfrog View Post
I am assuming your "system" is the audio system?

If so, larger wire gauge isnt going to get you where you need to go.
A larger battery will help, as will a higher output alternator. Do THAT, then increase wire size if necessary.....but understand that there are limitations within each of the components. Larger wire alone will not "quick charge" a battery ( which, btw, isnt good for the battery), it will just allow more current to flow to it without burning up....assuming you have a charging source that exceeds the amperage that the existing wire will handle. Then....we have the battery itself to consider. It's only going to charge so quickly. Theoretically, if you had a 300 amp charger, you could charge it in 2 hours from dead to full charge. The problem you run into is that's theory...not reality. Now you have to take into consideration heat, charging source, battery construction, and yes, even wire gauge.

My advice is to make sure all your connections are clean and tight, upgrade the battery and the alternator and if your amperage requirements exceed what's "normal" for the vehicle...then I'd be looking at a relay setup too. Remember, your PCM contains the voltage regulator and it's not wanting high amounts of current, trust me.

Or you could run two batteries.
Thank you! You just answered all my questions. I really need to get a bigger alternator. I think two battery set up would be cool but I have no idea where I would put that second battery. My stock sure box has my cold air and emitions canister in it.

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Limited
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L Hemi
davidtownsend is offline  
post #14 of 24 Old 07-07-2013, 01:46 PM Thread Starter
davidtownsend
Registered User
2006 WK 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Elkton
Posts: 626
I'm going to buy a capacitor for my system. That should solve a lot of problems for now. Maybe in the future I'll buy a 136 amp alt.

1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Limited
2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland 5.7L Hemi
davidtownsend is offline  
post #15 of 24 Old 07-07-2013, 02:23 PM
Oldfrog
Registered User
2007 WK 
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Louisiana/Texas
Posts: 5,092
Why a capacitor? Are you wanting to "kick start" a huge electric motor ? Are you trying to filter out some trash in your DC voltage?

No offense...but I dont know where you're getting this info, but I can assure you whoever it is, has had zero training in electronics...or basic resistive and reactive circuits, for that matter.

2007 5.7 Hemi, Ltd. QD II -
1997 ZJ, 4,0 select trac, Up country, track lok.
Oldfrog is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome