Alternator Output Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Alternator Output Question

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-06-2014, 10:22 AM   #1
chetzar
1994 ZJ 

Alternator Output Question

So about two weeks ago, my battery died. It was a solid 3 years old, about 6 months outside of the warranty, and didn't have enough amperage to crack over a Cheerio.

Cheap Farm & Fleet battery got replaced with a yellow top Optima, its awesome, I should have gone with an Optima years ago.

However the alternator is putting out 14.8 volts now (it did not seem high when I had the old battery, but I drive the jeep like once or twice a month). Based on the temperature, the FSM says 13.7-15 volts is acceptable. I personally, still think this is to high, I've always been under the impression anything above 14.4 is too high.

Is this true, or am I worrying about .4 volts for nothing?

chetzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2014, 04:18 PM   #2
Gearhead31
1995 ZJ 

be careful with the optima batteries, they are very picky about how they are charged. It's still within safe voltages but food for thought.
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.