Alternator Amps, how could you tel? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Alternator Amps, how could you tel?

Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsWe have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!TJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 06-25-2009, 03:13 PM   #1
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Alternator Amps, how could you tel?

After installing a Taurs 2 speed fan in my 93 ZJ 4.0L, I thought it will be better to throw in a 136 amps alternator to help in compensating for current draw and keep enough voltages to other sys.
I did not see any changes in current boost, just like the old 90amps alt is still there, sometimes needl goes to near 9 volts when I switvhed to the high speed.

I just want to know how do I measure the alt in order to see if its 136 amps, or 90 amps.

Thanks for your advise.

Hamid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-25-2009, 05:55 PM   #2
81cjkid
1981 CJ7 

I don't know what tools you have access to, but if you use an amp meter (the clamp type),and a battery tester you can find out. Take the amp tester and put it on the negative battery cable, then take the battery tester and put a load on the battery. You will then be able to see how many amps your alternator is kicking out, or if its working correctly.
81cjkid is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2009, 07:58 AM   #3
Marcos
1993 ZJ 

Where did you get the new alternator? The 136a alternator is physically larger int he main body than the 90a. The mounting and connections are the same, though.

Unless you bought a re-wound aftermarket one, then it could be different.
Marcos is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2009, 09:45 PM   #4
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

81cjkid: I know th the battery tester, but what is an amp meter, can I use the digital ohmmeter instead.

Marcos: It looks the same as the old one,

Thank you all for the info.

Last edited by Hamid; 06-26-2009 at 09:59 PM..
Unread 06-26-2009, 10:22 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Marcos is correct, the 136A ND from a V8 ZJ/WJ/Durango is physically larger than the 90A ND, and if you're replacing the 90A with the 136A unit, you'd have had to grind into the mounting by about 1/4" to clear the larger frame. So, chances are you still have the 90A.

It should also be borne in mind that the alternator cannot generate maximum output potential until the spindle speed is up around 3300-3500rpm - which comes out to about 1000-1200rpm at the crankshaft. If you're checking at idle, it's not a valid test. (i.e. - my 195A Delco CS-130 can only generate some 70A at idle. Period. At 1200rpm, it can generate 198A - solid!)

NB: The current function on the typical DMM (that you'd buy at the hardware store or parts house) is only good for about 10A before you blow the fuse. The "lobster claw" type - that clamps around the wire and reads from the magnetic field the current generates - can be good for up around 500A depending on the model. If you look at one, make sure it reads DC Amps (since AC and DC amps generate different magnetic fields, trying to read a DC field with an AC ammeter will confuse the meter and give you an invalid reading. And vice versa.)
Unread 06-26-2009, 11:54 PM   #6
Some_Anchovies
1995 ZJ 

If I would have gotten a new higher amp alternator, I would have gone with a high output one... (like atleast 200 amps). But that's just me.

Sounds like you got ripped off with another 90A
Some_Anchovies is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-02-2009, 06:55 AM   #7
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

I think we went off the track, my main Q was how to measure the Alt AMPs???
Unread 07-02-2009, 07:31 AM   #8
vansskaterfreek
1998 ZJ 

with an amp meter....
Unread 07-04-2009, 05:22 AM   #9
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

fine, but how do you connect it?.

Last edited by Hamid; 07-04-2009 at 05:58 AM..
Unread 07-04-2009, 11:21 AM   #10
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Unless you have a clamp on DC ampmeter, take it to autozone or AAP and they can check it out.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-05-2009, 02:37 AM   #11
Hamid

2000 XJ Cherokee 

No autozone around here, I have to do that by myself, Thanks Zeejay1997.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.