All wheel drive problem - JeepForum.com

 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 Old 09-15-2003, 05:51 PM Thread Starter
Sedgwick106
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
All wheel drive problem

I have a 2000 JGC Limited with quadratrack II and every time I make a hard turn, like pulling into a parking space or making a uturn, the truck seems to bounce. It feels like the U joints are fighting each other. Is this normal?

Sedgwick106 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 13 Old 09-16-2003, 06:39 PM
GrandCherokeeLifer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 61
The viscous coupler is gone. Are you still under warranty?

Alex
96 Grand Cherokee Limited
5.2 V8 no mods.
04 VW Touareg
GrandCherokeeLifer is offline  
post #3 of 13 Old 09-16-2003, 08:26 PM Thread Starter
Sedgwick106
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCherokeeLifer
The viscous coupler is gone. Are you still under warranty?
No warranty unless this considered part of the drive tran (70,000, 7 years). Is this expensive, can any shop do it, can I do it?
Sedgwick106 is offline  
post #4 of 13 Old 09-16-2003, 09:50 PM
MichiganK9SAR
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Aug 2003
Location: Toledo, OH
Posts: 15
If you don't know what a viscous coupler is, I wouldn't mess with it. Hell, I DO know what a viscous coupler is, and I wouldn't even mess with it. It is part of the drivetrain however you will want to make sure that it is covered before you sign your vehicle away.
MichiganK9SAR is offline  
post #5 of 13 Old 09-17-2003, 01:31 PM
automan25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kenmore, WA
Posts: 290
It was my impression that, unlike the original Quadratrack, the Quadratrack 2 system doesn't use a VC in the transfercase. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is a link to jeep's site that explains the various 4WD systems. In the Quadratrac 2 system it makes mention of a clutch pack being used to transfer power from the rear to the from wheels, not a Viscous Coupler or VC.

http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html?c...epage&type=tab

1993 ZJ Limited 5.2 - no mods - Red with Gold (what were they thinking) trim.

Last edited by automan25; 09-17-2003 at 01:43 PM.
automan25 is offline  
post #6 of 13 Old 09-17-2003, 07:57 PM Thread Starter
Sedgwick106
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by automan25
It was my impression that, unlike the original Quadratrack, the Quadratrack 2 system doesn't use a VC in the transfercase. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is a link to jeep's site that explains the various 4WD systems. In the Quadratrac 2 system it makes mention of a clutch pack being used to transfer power from the rear to the from wheels, not a Viscous Coupler or VC.

http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html?c...epage&type=tab

Here is what I found out today.

My 2000 JGC Limited with the Quadratrac II has a NP 247J transfer case. It does not have a Viscous Coupler instead it has something called a "Pump Transfer Case" Mopar#5012329AA in the transfer case. The cost for this part is $875. I did a lot of investigation on the web, talked to the dealer and several Transmission stores and found out that a lot of factors can affect this situation. One big factor is the condition of the tires, things like uneven pressure, uneven ware or different sizes on the same vehicle will confuse the all wheel drive computer and make it think the wheels are slipping and put it into FWD. I also heard from two people that changing the oil with fresh oil could solve the problem.

So since the tiers on my Jeep are bad I am going to replace them and replace the oil in the transfer case. If I still have the problem I will more than likely replace the transfer case since I can buy a guaranteed rebuilt one for $800.

Any thought?
Sedgwick106 is offline  
post #7 of 13 Old 09-17-2003, 08:19 PM
GrandCherokeeLifer
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 61
My bad...Automan you are right again.

Alex
96 Grand Cherokee Limited
5.2 V8 no mods.
04 VW Touareg
GrandCherokeeLifer is offline  
post #8 of 13 Old 09-17-2003, 10:04 PM
automan25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kenmore, WA
Posts: 290
Thankyou,

I see you have a new Toureg GCLifer. How do you like it? Have you tested the 4WD on it yet? I know this isn't a VW forum, but I think we'd all like to know, since it is a new kid on the SUV block.

1993 ZJ Limited 5.2 - no mods - Red with Gold (what were they thinking) trim.
automan25 is offline  
post #9 of 13 Old 09-18-2003, 05:15 AM
jasondew
Member
2004 WJ 
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Grand Rapids, MI
Posts: 109
i would love to know what the toureg is like as well. i just bought a 2004 overland because i got a deal i couldn't turn down, but the toureg was my first choice for a new vehicle.
jasondew is offline  
post #10 of 13 Old 09-18-2003, 09:15 AM
automan25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kenmore, WA
Posts: 290
Okay, okay, now I was walking on eggshells by even inquiring about another SUV on this board, but to say that the Toureg is your vehicle of choice qualifies as a sin around here.

1993 ZJ Limited 5.2 - no mods - Red with Gold (what were they thinking) trim.
automan25 is offline  
post #11 of 13 Old 09-18-2003, 10:11 AM
techie
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jul 2003
Location: Naperville
Posts: 55
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedgwick106
Here is what I found out today.

My 2000 JGC Limited with the Quadratrac II has a NP 247J transfer case. It does not have a Viscous Coupler instead it has something called a "Pump Transfer Case" Mopar#5012329AA in the transfer case. The cost for this part is $875. I did a lot of investigation on the web, talked to the dealer and several Transmission stores and found out that a lot of factors can affect this situation. One big factor is the condition of the tires, things like uneven pressure, uneven ware or different sizes on the same vehicle will confuse the all wheel drive computer and make it think the wheels are slipping and put it into FWD. I also heard from two people that changing the oil with fresh oil could solve the problem.

So since the tiers on my Jeep are bad I am going to replace them and replace the oil in the transfer case. If I still have the problem I will more than likely replace the transfer case since I can buy a guaranteed rebuilt one for $800.

Any thought?
yeah, that's the nature of FWD. If you make a very tight turn, all the way locked, you're going to feel what you are feeling.
techie is offline  
post #12 of 13 Old 09-18-2003, 07:40 PM Thread Starter
Sedgwick106
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Posts: 10
All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie
yeah, that's the nature of FWD. If you make a very tight turn, all the way locked, you're going to feel what you are feeling.
Heres what I did, I changed the oil in the transfer case, put four new tires on (Michilen's) replace two out of round rims and the truck runs great. No more jumping or binding when I turn it tight and it just seems to run better. I thing the out of round rims were making the transfer case think a wheel was slipping and it was putting it into four wheel.
Sedgwick106 is offline  
post #13 of 13 Old 09-18-2003, 09:24 PM
automan25
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Kenmore, WA
Posts: 290
That great! I'm glad it worked out for you, and didn't cost you a new T-Case.

1993 ZJ Limited 5.2 - no mods - Red with Gold (what were they thinking) trim.
automan25 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Jeep Forums Replies Last Post
Problem with 4 wheel drive? slipvayne9278 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 12 12-10-2009 08:20 PM
how can i make a all time 4 wheel drive Cherokee in to an optional 4 or 2 wheel drive Harp90 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 16 09-09-2009 01:09 PM
4 wheel drive problem 4x4JeepinZj ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 4 12-30-2008 03:29 PM
4 wheel drive problem NYR99 ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 5 01-18-2005 07:37 PM
4-Wheel Drive problem adgjqetuo ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum 32 11-10-2004 02:37 PM

Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome