All wheel drive problem - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > All wheel drive problem

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 09-15-2003, 05:51 PM   #1
Sedgwick106

All wheel drive problem

I have a 2000 JGC Limited with quadratrack II and every time I make a hard turn, like pulling into a parking space or making a uturn, the truck seems to bounce. It feels like the U joints are fighting each other. Is this normal?

Sedgwick106 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2003, 06:39 PM   #2
GrandCherokeeLifer

The viscous coupler is gone. Are you still under warranty?
04 VW Touareg
GrandCherokeeLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2003, 08:26 PM   #3
Sedgwick106

Quote:
Originally Posted by GrandCherokeeLifer
The viscous coupler is gone. Are you still under warranty?
No warranty unless this considered part of the drive tran (70,000, 7 years). Is this expensive, can any shop do it, can I do it?
Unread 09-16-2003, 09:50 PM   #4
MichiganK9SAR
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you don't know what a viscous coupler is, I wouldn't mess with it. Hell, I DO know what a viscous coupler is, and I wouldn't even mess with it. It is part of the drivetrain however you will want to make sure that it is covered before you sign your vehicle away.
MichiganK9SAR is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2003, 01:31 PM   #5
automan25

It was my impression that, unlike the original Quadratrack, the Quadratrack 2 system doesn't use a VC in the transfercase. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is a link to jeep's site that explains the various 4WD systems. In the Quadratrac 2 system it makes mention of a clutch pack being used to transfer power from the rear to the from wheels, not a Viscous Coupler or VC.

http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html?c...epage&type=tab

Last edited by automan25; 09-17-2003 at 01:43 PM..
automan25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2003, 07:57 PM   #6
Sedgwick106

Quote:
Originally Posted by automan25
It was my impression that, unlike the original Quadratrack, the Quadratrack 2 system doesn't use a VC in the transfercase. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Here is a link to jeep's site that explains the various 4WD systems. In the Quadratrac 2 system it makes mention of a clutch pack being used to transfer power from the rear to the from wheels, not a Viscous Coupler or VC.

http://www.jeep.com/4x4/index.html?c...epage&type=tab

Here is what I found out today.

My 2000 JGC Limited with the Quadratrac II has a NP 247J transfer case. It does not have a Viscous Coupler instead it has something called a "Pump Transfer Case" Mopar#5012329AA in the transfer case. The cost for this part is $875. I did a lot of investigation on the web, talked to the dealer and several Transmission stores and found out that a lot of factors can affect this situation. One big factor is the condition of the tires, things like uneven pressure, uneven ware or different sizes on the same vehicle will confuse the all wheel drive computer and make it think the wheels are slipping and put it into FWD. I also heard from two people that changing the oil with fresh oil could solve the problem.

So since the tiers on my Jeep are bad I am going to replace them and replace the oil in the transfer case. If I still have the problem I will more than likely replace the transfer case since I can buy a guaranteed rebuilt one for $800.

Any thought?
Unread 09-17-2003, 08:19 PM   #7
GrandCherokeeLifer

My bad...Automan you are right again.
04 VW Touareg
GrandCherokeeLifer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-17-2003, 10:04 PM   #8
automan25

Thankyou,

I see you have a new Toureg GCLifer. How do you like it? Have you tested the 4WD on it yet? I know this isn't a VW forum, but I think we'd all like to know, since it is a new kid on the SUV block.
Unread 09-18-2003, 05:15 AM   #9
jasondew
2004 WJ 

i would love to know what the toureg is like as well. i just bought a 2004 overland because i got a deal i couldn't turn down, but the toureg was my first choice for a new vehicle.
jasondew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2003, 09:15 AM   #10
automan25

Okay, okay, now I was walking on eggshells by even inquiring about another SUV on this board, but to say that the Toureg is your vehicle of choice qualifies as a sin around here.
Unread 09-18-2003, 10:11 AM   #11
techie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedgwick106
Here is what I found out today.

My 2000 JGC Limited with the Quadratrac II has a NP 247J transfer case. It does not have a Viscous Coupler instead it has something called a "Pump Transfer Case" Mopar#5012329AA in the transfer case. The cost for this part is $875. I did a lot of investigation on the web, talked to the dealer and several Transmission stores and found out that a lot of factors can affect this situation. One big factor is the condition of the tires, things like uneven pressure, uneven ware or different sizes on the same vehicle will confuse the all wheel drive computer and make it think the wheels are slipping and put it into FWD. I also heard from two people that changing the oil with fresh oil could solve the problem.

So since the tiers on my Jeep are bad I am going to replace them and replace the oil in the transfer case. If I still have the problem I will more than likely replace the transfer case since I can buy a guaranteed rebuilt one for $800.

Any thought?
yeah, that's the nature of FWD. If you make a very tight turn, all the way locked, you're going to feel what you are feeling.
techie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2003, 07:40 PM   #12
Sedgwick106

All better

Quote:
Originally Posted by techie
yeah, that's the nature of FWD. If you make a very tight turn, all the way locked, you're going to feel what you are feeling.
Heres what I did, I changed the oil in the transfer case, put four new tires on (Michilen's) replace two out of round rims and the truck runs great. No more jumping or binding when I turn it tight and it just seems to run better. I thing the out of round rims were making the transfer case think a wheel was slipping and it was putting it into four wheel.
Unread 09-18-2003, 09:24 PM   #13
automan25

That great! I'm glad it worked out for you, and didn't cost you a new T-Case.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.