To all u 5.9 owners - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > To all u 5.9 owners

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and AxleFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-15-2003, 12:01 AM   #1
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

To all u 5.9 owners

Im looking into buying a 98 Platinum 5.9 w/50,000 miles for $10995. Before I buy, i'd like to know if there is any major problems that i should know about it, concerning the powertrain, electrical system or anything else in general? Also what should i look for when i go test drive it? Ive inspected it on the lot and the truck is imaculate. The paint doesnt even have a single ding in it. The interior still has the new leather scent, the seats seem as though they were never sat on and the carpet shows no sign of wear. Ive always wanted this jeep, even before i bought my white one, so i want it to be a good one. I really dont care about the fuel consumption, cause im already payin alot for the 4.0L i have now.
Any input from you guys would be much appeciated. Thanx in advance.

Unread 02-15-2003, 03:32 AM   #2
Need4Boost

Well, I dont have a 5.9, but I can give you this advice--It's a jeep, what do you expect? You will love and hate it. Just buy it and make it fast...thats what they were made for.
[b]Green Jeep Club Member #13[/b]
Need4Boost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 10:47 AM   #3
Beachead19

The rear differential has been known to go out on 5.9's. Also, it should have the normal ZJ problems like htd seats, and the transmission failing around 100K-120K. Also, its QTrac so expect the Viscious Coupler to go bad nearing 100k. How do I know this? I read up alot on JeepsUnlimited before buying my 4.0
With such low mileage I would check the history, drive it, and buy it if everything checks out. Good find!
Kolak Ignition
-----------------------------------------
Beachead19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2003, 12:35 PM   #4
Swamp Boy
1993 ZJ 

Make some sharp turn and check out the Cv's , Visually inspect the boots , they should not be torn.
Make sure everything works while you are driving adjust power mirrors and everyything else ..None of this would make me not buy it but It may drive the cost down..
As always listen to the motor shift manually so you can rev it higher that is where you will first hear engine wear.
Check the oil for metal flakes.. Check the tranny fluid (same thing)
Check for oild leaks (rear mains are known to go out. Listen to rear and front diff while driving .No groaning , Also as I am sure you know the rotors tend to warp pay close attention to the pedal when you are hitting the brakes to feel if it surges..Or the brakes squeal (sign that the rotors are warped)
Good luck .. Sorry for the long post buy I buy a lot of cars and I don't want to see a fellow jeeper screwed..
Unread 02-16-2003, 12:15 PM   #5
ZJGuido
1998 ZJ 

Thanx alot guys, you've been a great help

Need4Boost, you betcha ill make it fast, damn fast, but without compensating its off-road capabilities, of course.

Beachead19, i've already ran a report on its history, it turns out that the car was purchased new at the same dealer that is selling it to me and that i will be the second owner (thats if all goes well)

Swamp Boy, i'll be sure to look out for all the things you've considered and ill let u know how it went.

Thanx again
Unread 02-19-2003, 11:25 AM   #6
MRfire

Jump on that deal NOW. That's a great price for that milage. I have owned my 5.9 since day one and just turned 49k on it. Actually, I had a four year lease and bought it out in October at $16k. Here's the problems I've had - Sunroof (3 times), rear wiper, rotors (you must upgrade these anyway), CV boots and rear hatch clasp. Most of these were covered under warranty. If it doesn't have the KN FIPK, you definitely want to throw one in - it's well worth the 265 bucks. I've also heard a lot about problems with the intake manfiold gasket, but I haven't experienced any problems with mine yet. Well, good luck and RUN back to the dealer now. 5.9's ROCK and you'll love flying past those neon coated mustangs with a big smile on your face.

MF
- Kuhmo Ecsta STX Tires
- Roto-tec Cross/slotted rotors
MRfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2003, 09:54 PM   #7
zcubed

I agree on the price. I just bought a deep slate one about a month ago. It had 43K on it, in great shape, and i paid $15,500 for it. The loan value on them is around 12,500, so for $11,000, i'd say you're getting a steal.
zcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2003, 07:00 AM   #8
Intrepidjeep

CV's? Is that CV joints? Boots? Are any of these on that year GC?
2005 Dodge Durango SLT 4.7L
Intrepidjeep is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.