all time awd to rwd - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > all time awd to rwd

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!

Reply
Unread 03-11-2014, 01:57 AM   #1
riley9415
Registered User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: ofallon, missouri
Posts: 1
all time awd to rwd

ok i have a 94 laredo 5.2 4x4... front diff is cracked and i dont have the money nor time to replace it. friends recommended i just made it into a rwd jeep by taking out the front diffy and parts of the drive train to disable the awd... but i was reading around and people are saying i need to get a tcase swap and stuff as well... but my buddies are telling me there isnt even a tcase on the jeep since its all time? idk... obviously not the biggest car person.. which is why im posting today.

riley9415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 02:22 AM   #2
1998_ZJltd
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: stockton, California
Posts: 324
your buddy is a dork .... yes you have a transfer case ...

taking out the front ds will revert you to 2wd ....

but your axles are still going to be in the front as you have a solid front axle ..

evry jy in the nation has a zj or in the case of the ones by me 15 or better and a bare front axle is not going to run that much ... but do your self a favor and get someone else to help you work on your jeep other than the guy who is telling you it does not have a transfer case .....
1998_ZJltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 06:07 AM   #3
tucsonzj
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by riley9415 View Post
ok i have a 94 laredo 5.2 4x4... front diff is cracked and i dont have the money nor time to replace it. friends recommended i just made it into a rwd jeep by taking out the front diffy and parts of the drive train to disable the awd... but i was reading around and people are saying i need to get a tcase swap and stuff as well... but my buddies are telling me there isnt even a tcase on the jeep since its all time? idk... obviously not the biggest car person.. which is why im posting today.
Tell your buddy he doesn't need to breath to live. See how long that lasts. If you pull your front ds (and your jeep is a 93 to 95) kiss your transfer case good bye. Short term fix that will cost a lot long term
__________________
1995 ZJ Limited-3.5" Rubicon Express, 33x12.5s and some other stuff. Maybe half of it works, but it stops so that helps.

Build thread Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
I learned to tuck my stick....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.

RIP Ratmonkey-5/27/13. You will be missed.
tucsonzj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 07:41 AM   #4
TastykakeWJ
Registered User
1999 WJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: DEWART, PA.
Posts: 108
ok im going to clear all this up.....

ive been driving mine for over a year with it removed. i have a 99 4.7 btw, blew driving across the country, ripped it out and left it along the bluegrass parkway.
your t-case wont explode, shatter, leak, or freak out because its removed.

the pros
drifting is tits.
you may see a 1-3 mpg increase( depending on if drive normal), drifting is not conservative on fuel.
neither is having a v-8 or jeep
less bull**** to break( also have fun finding a "cheap one"

the cons.
i live in pa., with a half assed bald tire, i was spinning like a hamster on meth, in 2 inches of snow
4wd is useful, but deff not needed all time
if you have **** tires, you will notice a big difference in handling with a RWD jeep, more body roll,
easy peasy burnouts,

overall i wouldnt put my front shaft back in. but i also have a lifted zj to beat around with(ha). unless you use it everyday in Alaska, in 12 inches of snow... or wheel alot
__________________
1988 331 hp VW GTI 16v -RIP
1992 556 hp EG hatch Civic-RIP
1999 WJ 4.7l < current D.D
1995 ZJ 5.2l -4inch, 2 inch BB, 32's on stock black snowflakes-my work in progress
TastykakeWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 07:47 AM   #5
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 15,082
Its probably already toasted. If he's got no clue and the VC has never been replaced then its for sure bad so removing the front shaft won't hurt anything but it can roll in park with the front shaft out.
You could gut the front diff and leave in the stub shafts. It's better to get a whole used axle at the yard and swap the whole thing. Of course a bad VC will just ruin the new one in time.
__________________
1998 5.9
Originally Posted by jabba974
"And yes, there is always a torque spec...but its not necessary...and takes way to much time...."
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:01 AM   #6
tucsonzj
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Boston, MA
Posts: 1,847
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastykakeWJ View Post
ok im going to clear all this up.....

ive been driving mine for over a year with it removed. i have a 99 4.7 btw, blew driving across the country, ripped it out and left it along the bluegrass parkway.
your t-case wont explode, shatter, leak, or freak out because its removed.

the pros
drifting is tits.
you may see a 1-3 mpg increase( depending on if drive normal), drifting is not conservative on fuel.
neither is having a v-8 or jeep
less bull**** to break( also have fun finding a "cheap one"

the cons.
i live in pa., with a half assed bald tire, i was spinning like a hamster on meth, in 2 inches of snow
4wd is useful, but deff not needed all time
if you have **** tires, you will notice a big difference in handling with a RWD jeep, more body roll,
easy peasy burnouts,

overall i wouldnt put my front shaft back in. but i also have a lifted zj to beat around with(ha). unless you use it everyday in Alaska, in 12 inches of snow... or wheel alot
Wj have different cases then zjs. Not to mention the 93 to 95 is different then other zj 249 cases. Won't explode but will make the vc worthless. 300 minimum to replace that part (just for parts) his is do probably shot but don't know for sure
__________________
1995 ZJ Limited-3.5" Rubicon Express, 33x12.5s and some other stuff. Maybe half of it works, but it stops so that helps.

Build thread Here

Quote:
Originally Posted by riot1987 View Post
I learned to tuck my stick....
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Yeh, washing it inside and out is on my to-do, eventually, maybe, if I have time, OOOH angle grinder.

RIP Ratmonkey-5/27/13. You will be missed.
tucsonzj is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:26 AM   #7
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 15,082
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Wj have different cases then zjs. Not to mention the 93 to 95 is different then other zj 249 cases. Won't explode but will make the vc worthless. 300 minimum to replace that part (just for parts) his is do probably shot but don't know for sure
His shot front axle is probably because of a bad VC. It's probably been bad for a long time.
__________________
1998 5.9
Originally Posted by jabba974
"And yes, there is always a torque spec...but its not necessary...and takes way to much time...."
PolkaPower is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 09:54 AM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler
 
WhiteOut's Avatar
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Posts: 7,836
Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
Wj have different cases then zjs. Not to mention the 93 to 95 is different then other zj 249 cases. Won't explode but will make the vc worthless. 300 minimum to replace that part (just for parts) his is do probably shot but don't know for sure
And you don't see a MPG gain by removing the drive-shaft since everything is still spinning anyways.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 05:51 PM   #9
Mickey_D
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: 40° 3'42.36"N 112° 2'16.73"W, Utah
Posts: 6,685
Quote:
Originally Posted by TastykakeWJ View Post
i have a 99 4.7.
Then please don't give (wrong) advice to people with a different Jeep. You have a 247 transfer case with a geroter coupling that is locked to the rear shaft. The 93-95 ZJ's have a 249 transfer case with a viscous coupler that if you take the front shaft off, it WILL destroy the viscous coupling ($400 part plus labor to install it) because the coupler isn't locked to the rear shaft. If you take the front shaft out of a 93-95 ZJ and try parking on a hill, it will roll away on you. The viscous coupler acts as a limited slip differential on the early 249's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TastykakeWJ View Post
your t-case wont explode, shatter, leak, or freak out because its removed.
Which is where you are wrong. It will freak out. As in burn up.
__________________
1997 ZJ 5.2 Orvis, Baby!
1953 Willys M100 trailer Tagalong
________________
[_][][][][][][][][_]


Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 06:20 PM   #10
Gearhead31
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: St Pete, Florida
Posts: 1,469
If you want to have any chance in hell of staying alive more than a few seconds drive, I VERY strongly recommend you don't let that friend help you, or even come near the tools you are using to work on your jeep, if you go to do the work yourself.. Saying a jeep(hell ANY AND ALL 4x4's period, anything driven by front and rear axles) doesn't have a transfer case is like saying a goldfish doesn't need water to live, it can be perfectly fine sleeping on the couch or on a pillow like a dog might..
Back on topic.. Idk what to tell you other than find a shop, for your own safety and that of others.. If you do not have the skillsets needed to diagnose this problem, you are going to need a pretty massive crash course for an axle swap. I'm not trying to be rude or anything, I'm being honest with you. If you want to try this yourself, get a haynes manual at the least and start reading up in it. If you are going to have a shop do the work, you need to start calling around. If you have the 249 transfer case(your second shifter lever has 4full time, Neutral, 4-Lo as the options) and you remove the front driveshaft, then you will destroy the viscous coupler(basically a differential between the front and rear axles) if it isn't bad already, and you will also lose your parking lock when the vehicle is parked(i.e., you park it, leave the vehicle and it starts rolling away on you) so you'll be forced to use the emergency brake to keep it in place when you leave the vehicle. That aside, there are no ill effects that would happen, aside from becoming rear wheel drive as compared to all wheel drive. We will need a LOT more info if we are going to be able to help you at all at this point.

The misinformation is great in this thread...
__________________
1995 ZJ ltd, 4.0 i6, *cough stock cough* 253,xxx and still pumping strong
1998 Chevy Cheyenne K1500, 5.7L Vortec, mostly stock
*In peace, sons bury their fathers. In war, fathers bury their sons. - Herodotus
[QUOTE=JasonStebbins]We can call it the Whoosh King Catalog System. :D[/QUOTE]
Gearhead31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2014, 08:32 PM   #11
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 1,536
You really need a new front axle if the diff is cracked. You can find once off any ZJ with the same gears and swap them.

If that is too much then you can convert to RWD. You will need to remove the front drive shaft AND remove the axle shafts but keep the stub shafts (to keep preload on the unit bearing). IF you do that the VC will be toast, you will also need to use your parking brake or you will roll in park.

If the front diff is cracked and leaking then it will soon be empty and the gears will grenade. If that happens while the gears are mechanically connected to the wheels or the TC you are REALLY in for a bad time.
__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote




Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.